Page 1 of 2
My mom gave me 200$ to spend at GC only at GC. I have no idea what to get. I dont want another bass it would just be a starter for the price. I have a good amp. I hate bass effects. So i dont know what to get. any suggestions?
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Quote by reaume140
lots of strings.
strap locks
books.

that sounds like a pretty good idea
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
picks, strings, a boss pedal tuner
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
STRINGS
new tuners/bridge/Pups
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
How much are plectrums out there? I bet you could get loads for $200... Or some sort of completely random instrument if they sell any
Hmm...I'd go for a Jaco DVD, some books, some strings and a nice strap.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Maybe a starter Piano or Guitar, or any other instrument for that matter?
Playing other instruments, or atleast understanding them will make you a better bassist.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
if you don't have a nice case you could get one. other than that i can't think of anything that hasn't been said
Get an audio interface and some stuff, maybe a mic if your amp doesn't have a DI out.

EDIT: Acoustic guitar is also a very valid option!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I thought about an acoustic but i dont know. I think id rather have an electric. By the way i can play guitar fairly well. so i dont need a guitar but idk i'd like on. but yea they wont let me spend it on a bunch of different things they said just get something under 200. Gay i know.
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Get an acoustic guitar or a keyboard. Both will be good to expand your musical horizons. I think all serious musicians or players should own some sort of keyboard.
Quote by anarkee
Get an acoustic guitar or a keyboard. Both will be good to expand your musical horizons. I think all serious musicians or players should own some sort of keyboard.

+1
i say get a couple books and a good case
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

Give it to me at GC

On a serious note, get a couple of good bass books or a recording interface
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
have it changed into quarters and buy all the picks in the little prize machines at the EXIT.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
I have a Bass, a good amp, a keyboard, a harmonica, a case, strings, a strap, strap locks, and im not sure if i want an acoustic. See the thing is my parents will only let me get like one thing, they arent just giving me 200 to spend at GC they are letting me get something within that range so bass books are out of the question. I need a big item. I don't know whether I want a acoustic or an electric, ihave a guitar amp too. Or I might want a limiter enhancer pedal, does anyone know exactly what they do and if they areworth 70 bucks? I have the gist of what they do but im not sure, Thanks for all your suggestions.
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
I'm sure they're having the "sale of the century" so you'll be able to get all kinds of stuff!!!
A limiter enhancer is essentially a compressor with a different name.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I say buy hundreds of picks, but for a different reason to everyone else...

Create a mighty fortress out of them, from which you can rain bassy destruction upon the serfs and peasants below you!

All the while, doing this: "BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!"

DO IT!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Jiimy
Get a BBE Sonic Maximizer and improve your tone 10 fold.

+1, never occured to me, or get an MXR M-80 DI box
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
or you could get a sansamp RBI
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Jiimy
Get a BBE Sonic Maximizer and improve your tone 10 fold.

Actually, from what I hear, it is only really good for lower quality rigs. High quality rigs hardly benefit from it apparently.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by FbSa
I'd say get an acoustic guitar. Did wonders for my bass playing by also being able to play guitar.

I was a guitar player long before picking up the bass. Still a learning process but made easier.
Are you content with your current gear? Saving up to eventually buy something even better never hurt anybody!

If you're def spending, hit up a mandolin! Or, have you considered some basic recording equipment?
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Quote by gm jack
Actually, from what I hear, it is only really good for lower quality rigs. High quality rigs hardly benefit from it apparently.

I use an SWR 350x head with Trace Elliot cabs and I can tell when my Maximizer is off without looking at the LED.
recording interface is a good idea. maybe a drum machine--they can be very useful.

but the best thing is probably to convince your parents to let you buy some books because it will make you better where a drum machine or recording interface will not. (not to say a drum machine is not going to help, but books vs drum machine? obviously books help more)

if you can find a serious theory textbook, like one that does everything in terms of the staff and that kind of thing, that's a really good thing to get. i'm amazed at what i can do when i actually know what's going on.
You could buy a metronome and some books and stuff, or you save up some more cash and buy a wireless system if you're in to that sort of thing.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
So im going today, in about an hour to be exact. I think I've decided to get the bbe sonic stomp maximizer. Am I wasting my money?
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Quote by the_woof
recording interface is a good idea. maybe a drum machine--they can be very useful.

but the best thing is probably to convince your parents to let you buy some books because it will make you better where a drum machine or recording interface will not. (not to say a drum machine is not going to help, but books vs drum machine? obviously books help more)

if you can find a serious theory textbook, like one that does everything in terms of the staff and that kind of thing, that's a really good thing to get. i'm amazed at what i can do when i actually know what's going on.

I disagree. They both help an equal amount, but in different ways. The drum machine would help improve your timing, and could potentially help you to stay in the pocket more. The books would help your knowledge of music as a whole, but not your playing itself. They both help, but it's really just an argument over which you believe is more important, technique or music knowledge. They're both important in their own ways.

TS, I say get an acoustic guitar and some strings with whatever you have left over (Bass strings, becase they're more expensive and GC has a great selection of strings usually. Try some new brands, experiment a little).
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Why not trade in your old bass and upgrade to a better one?

a wall mounted guitar holder is also an extremely useful thing,
Page 1 of 2