can someone explain how the toggle switch works to me? im new to guitar and the capabilities of a les paul
The toggle switch changes the pickup combination you're using. Assuming that your toggle is not spun around, as some can be, moving it up should get the neck pickup, down will get the treble pickup, and the middle position will get both the treble and neck pickups at the same time.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Correction-down will get the neck, and up will get the bridge, or rythymn pickup.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by mydogpoops
Correction-down will get the neck, and up will get the bridge, or rythymn pickup.

Not quite.
I think it's better to refer to them only as the 'bridge' (down) and 'neck' (up) pickups.

Calling them 'lead' and 'rhythm' pickups puts ideas into people's heads that one should always be used for leads and the other should only be used for rhythm - but actually, how many solos do you know that are played with the neck pickup? And especially for rock and metal, you would never use the neck pickup for rhythm playing, you almost always use the bridge pickup instead.

If wishes come true and I get to take over the Gibson corporation, the first thing I'm doing is having them get rid of the crap old 'rhythm/treble' pickup ring and replacing it with just 'neck/bridge').
Epi LP? You'll have a much better understanding of the toggle switch when the ****ing thing breaks and you have to solder in a new one.