(no offense, nerds are awesome)

alright, I know how to count and do basic math in binary, but how do computers translate binary into words and such? like is each letter assigned a number or something? could someone explain it, or link me to somewhere explaining it, cuz I just keep finding stuff that tells you how to do the stuff I already know (counting, math). Or at least tell me what to search for.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
(no offense, nerds are awesome)

alright, I know how to count and do basic math in binary, but how do computers translate binary into words and such? like is each letter assigned a number or something? could someone explain it, or link me to somewhere explaining it, cuz I just keep finding stuff that tells you how to do the stuff I already know (counting, math). Or at least tell me what to search for.

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII
<Omri> I love trannys too..
each letter is 8 numbers
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
awesome! so Jason (my name) would translate to:

0001010 0000001 0010011 0001111 0001110

?

or did I misunderstand something?

edit: I didn't read the whole thing, Jason would be

100 1011 110 0001 111 0011 110 1111 110 1110

that's right now isn't it?
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jan 28, 2008,
yeah that right i think.. can't be bothered workin it out

ASCII is 7-bit.. but computers also use Unicode which is 16-bit

unicode deals with all the graphs and acutes for foreign characters which are not present in ascii
"Help me God. I'm so tired. I need my sleep. I need 8 hours a day ...and about 10 at night and i'm good..."
alright, I've got it figured out now, and I copied the html of the graph, pasted into notepad, added the correct html tags, so now I have me a nice little chart to reference without getting on the internet.