Hey guys, so I've been trying to learn Man on the edge By Iron Maiden. Dave Murray's solo is not hard but i was thinking should i use all 4 of my fingers to play it. I saw a ton of videos of him playing his solo's from different sides and hes only using Index,middle,and ring finger. the trills he does past the 12th fret seem to be done by only 3 fingers instead of four? should i go this route also? Because i'm getting the hang of using all four of my fingers quick when solo, but doing a trill like this
12h15p12-E String
15-B String X 3( 3 times) doesn't produce that volume of noise as to when using the ring. So what should i do?
LOL
I agree its very hard to use the 4th finger past that fret so its personal preference really.
Last edited by Ben Wright at Jan 28, 2008,
who cares if u cant do it like him, unless you wanna do it like him.
do it the way that works for you, your playing the guitar not him.
dont stop....always use your pinky...seriously. The pinky is the most under-rated finger..lol. But once your pinky is up to speed with the rest of your fingers, you will be able to play solos soo much easier. So keep using the pinky
Quote by gravensuicide
dont stop....always use your pinky...seriously. The pinky is the most under-rated finger..lol. But once your pinky is up to speed with the rest of your fingers, you will be able to play solos soo much easier. So keep using the pinky

Well said. Dimebag Darrell once said, 'Whats the point of having a little finger if you don't use it.' Its true.
I was asking because its a lot easier and faster right now with the ring finger. Seeing this everywhere, I've seen good people covering their songs and don't use the the pinky finger either.
LOL
?confusion?

I've never had trouble with my pinky past the 12th fret. Is this really a common problem?

Granted . . . . I don't have very big hands.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
from what ive heard/experienced....making use of your pinky is vital! I know its easier sometimes ESPECIALLY at the higher frets, to just use 3 fingers, but if you ever want to play really fast solos that arent just trills etc...then you need to get your pinky up to speed.

it isnt preference, its basic TECHNIQUE. dont dumb it down, and use the proper technique instead of the improper one. Sure some people are stubborn and dont do it, and sure you may see murray or other guitarist from well-known bands doing it incorrectly, BUT no one ever said that those great guitarists played with perfect technique.

The close you take yourself to perfect technique, however, the easier it will be to play everything.
The pinky is a must you gotta have it!!

Your fingers can line up and be waaay more relaxed without having to exert or stretch in ways your hand doesn't want to stretch. It doesn't take any longer to build up then your other fingers, just do trills between all the fingers daily and you'll build up the strength.

There are a lot of guys who neglect the pinky quite often... but why do that? Just work on it and get it up to par with the rest of the fingers
personal preference.

For playing stuff on the low E and A strings (sometimes D string), if it's before the 10th fret or so, i use my pinky (simply to cut the strain on my hand). Anything on the G, B and E string before the 5th or 6th fret i use my pinky, but most of the time i use just my first three fingers.
Quote by Ben Wright
Well said. Dimebag Darrell once said, 'Whats the point of having a little finger if you don't use it.' Its true.

While I do agree and I do use my pinky probably the most (after the index finger - seriously), I've seen Malmsteen almost never uses it. Only when completely necessary (i.e. arpeggios). Sometimes he even does some insane wide stretches with his ring finger where a pinky would be more appropriate, maybe even faster.

I personally can't play without my pinky, I use it as much as possible - all the way up the neck.
lol whenever I saw people use only 3 of their fingers past the 12th fret I thought that was making it harder for them.

Phew, thank god in my ignorance and ****ty practicing I actually did something right unintentionally! Now it feels funny to not use my pinky caz I use it whenever I can.
I would say...just do whatever is easiest. Your pinky is the hardest finger to use past the 12th fret though, so some people may find you to be more skillful when using it with the solo.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by mr. broken
While I do agree and I do use my pinky probably the most (after the index finger - seriously), I've seen Malmsteen almost never uses it. Only when completely necessary (i.e. arpeggios). Sometimes he even does some insane wide stretches with his ring finger where a pinky would be more appropriate, maybe even faster.

I personally can't play without my pinky, I use it as much as possible - all the way up the neck.

is that true? Mamsteen uses only 3? for solo's?
LOL
Quote by SiKh22
is that true? Mamsteen uses only 3? for solo's?

I have seen many videos of Malmsteen and he uses the pinky a LOT.

About the thread, i think is necessary to learn to use the pinky around all the frets, because you'll find sooner or later, that some licks can't be played if you don't use the pinky to fret certain notes, unless you have extreme long fingers.
Just practice a lot with the pinky and you'll be fine.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i use my pinky past the twelth fret, but not for hammer-on/pull-offs or bends, i get a much better tone with my ring finger.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
my fingers are pretty fat and big so I usually use my index, and middle finger the most, I do also use my ring finger though
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by El Cumanés
I have seen many videos of Malmsteen and he uses the pinky a LOT.

He's got a strange way of going about it too

For patterns such as 1 34 he uses his ring finger almost exclusively instead of the pinky. For patterns like 12 4 he uses the pinky to hit the 3rd note.

Most of his sweep licks use the pinky as well
Quote by Silky Smooth
He's got a strange way of going about it too

For patterns such as 1 34 he uses his ring finger almost exclusively instead of the pinky. For patterns like 12 4 he uses the pinky to hit the 3rd note.

Most of his sweep licks use the pinky as well

What he said. Watch some Malmsteen live, he does use his pinky but he has the most weird fingerings.

edit: for example look at him playing Far Beyond the Sun. The part:

13h14p13p10-------------------------|-------------------|
------------14-12-10----------------|-------------------|
---------------------13-11-10-------|-------------------|
------------------------------12-11-|-9-----------------|
------------------------------------|---12-11-9-8~------|
------------------------------------|-------------------|

In this lick he doesn't use the pinky at all. Even the weird stretch from 13/14-10 he plays it with his ring finger.
Last edited by mr. broken at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by Ben Wright

ive got toes and testicles but i dont play guitar with those...

its personal choice. if you can and you want to then do! if you cant or you dont want to, then dont!
Thank you please.
I use the pinky everywhere on the neck, but I like it a lot more below like the 10th fret. When I get up to the 12th fret stuff my fingers and hands are big engought that its a pain in the ass to try to use on for each fret like I do when I am lower on the neck. If my index fnger is on the 12th fret, I cover the 13th and 14th with my middle finger, get the 15th with the ring finger and use the pinky at 16th. I would way rather use my ring finger because its the strongest on my neck hand, but I am working hard to get that pink built up.
It's a great acvantage to know how to use your pinky. Both for soloing and chords. It makes fast runs easier, stretches becomes easier, four note per string licks become possible and the list continues. There's no reason at all not to get that pinky going and use it. It's not just there for good looks you know.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by deadlydunc
ive got toes and testicles but i dont play guitar with those.

But you do play guitar with your hands which have a 4th finger. That was an idiotic comment.