Ok this is my first time on the forum so I hope I don't mess one of these 'ask for advice' posts. I've spent my first year playing guitar pretty much locked away in my basement saving money until I was ready to start getting into the band scene. My style of choice is Progressive Rock/Metal (Between the Buried and Me's Paul Waggoner has my favourite tone). I currently own an Ibanez s520ex which I love. I have about $10g saved up but I'm looking for advice for the long run. My current amp is not even practice quality and definitely needs replacing. I've spent hours at the local guitar shop fiddling on amps and guitars and I've only come to the conclusion that the Ibanez S Series is for sure my guitar of choice. This summer I also plan on buying an Ibanez S5470 which I'm guessing will run about $2g. I'm really looking for advice on how much to spend on a practice amp and gig amp and suggestions for a Metal tone. Thanks.
The new Ibanez S Prestiges will probably be $1500 max, $2k is the "list" price.

Ibanez S prestige
EMG actives
Mesa Dual Rectifier

There you go, that's literally the BTBAM tone.
From the wiki page....

Ibanez S1625TKS w/ EMG 85/81 (used to record The Silent Circus and Alaska)
Ibanez S520 (in current use) w/ EMG 85/81 (used to record their self-titled and Prayer For Cleansing)
Ibanez S2170FB (used to record "Colors")
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier 2 Channel Head, circa 1994 (used on all albums)
Mesa Standard Recto 4x12
Mesa Road King Series 2. IMO the most versatile tube amp ever made...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
i would've suggested a dual rec as well. i'm also a big fan of the peavey jsx.
but how complicated of an amp are you looking for? do you want a pile of knobs and switches, so you can take your time setting up the perfect tone? or do you just want to shut up and play?
if you want to tweak the **** out of your tone, see if anybody still has a mesa road king in stock. it'll take some time to get exactly what you want, but you get insane flexibility.
go boutique. diezel, soldano, cornford, splawn etc. etc. etc. check as many out as you can, and buy the one you like best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I've only ever managed to try a Soldano but goddamn! It was incredible
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Ok awesome, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into trying out more Mesa amps although they are hard to come by around here.
Quote by papersun87
Don't forget Bogner.

yeah, there are dozens. I just got tired listing. bogners are nice too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?