Just a question I've had about writing music. I know everyone has their own style, but which do you all prefer? I find if I write music first, my vocal melodys are a bit generic and I'd like to find a way to break this, so I may try writing the lyrics first. Anyone have one that they find works better?
i always find it REALLY annoying. if i right the words first i have way hotter lyrics but naff music, if i right the music i have **** hot music but almost embarasing lyrics, ahhhhhh lol
keep blues alive
well... you shouldn't just write songs and add lyrics. I prefer to make riffs, not songs. If i like the sound of the riff, ill add lyrics, and then it just flows from there.
try doing both at the same time but i don't think writing lyrics first is a good idea. i wrote many lyrics in the past and now i'm having a hard time putting the music together. if you are writing lyrics first, think of how you will play the music as you go along.
::type
the only chance you have at the "lyrics first" theory is that you HAVE to have a melodic thought process while your doing it.... that's the only way I've been able to ever do it. Otherwise your stuck with music first. :]
whatever works best for you. i usually do lyrics first. or i come u with music and the guitarist comes up with the lyrics.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Both at the same time... well actually if a song has an intro with no words, write that first, and them for the verses/chorus it's gotta be at the same time. I also prefer to stick to chords while I'm writing the lyrics, and then add layers of guitar/bass/drums on top after it's recorded.
Oh, I'll break them down, no mercy shown,
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time,
Watching her, these things she said,
The times she cried,
Too frail to wake this time.
Lyrics first hands down.

Lyrics should be inspired, not forced just so they fit a certain structure.

Write the music around the lyrics, at least then it has more chance of turning out weird and original.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Quote by oZone_TNS
Lyrics.

If I write the music first I find it impossible to put lyrics to it.

Got to agree... I've almost always gone with the lyrics first, you know, so I can have an idea of what my song is gonna be about.
Listen up, class... today's assignment: KICK SOME @$$.
thats a problem i have too. What i usually do is write the music for the first and second verse and the write the lyrics and so on, then go back to the chorus and wrtie lyrics
i usually write lyrics first. i find that having music first limits your writing.

this way, i can have different meters and longer or shorter lines rather than having to stick to a certain thing
i can relate too that if you write lyrics first, then the music will be not too good and vice versa, i have tried both styles and i guess the best way is too make both the lyrics and musics at the same time, so you can adapt them after eachother as you go
Music first. Rock'n'Roll is about catchy riffs, nice drum patterns and smooth basslines. Most of the time your audience will ignore your lyrics anyway (if they're able to understand them, anyway). Death meatal bands are popular without anybody understanding a word.
Lyrics. If I'm lucky, a melody will appear at the same time.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
i usually start with music and the lyrics just start coming out. i still like to give time to the lyrics, but i think that above all a song needs to sound good.

i used to be a firm believer in the lyrics first approach, but then i realized that my songs all started to sound the same. and half of them never ended up actually getting past the lyrics stage.
Actually, I've sorta changed my mind.

I don't think you should write music or lyrics with the other already planned.

I write my lyrics, and then I look through the music I've written and see which chords/riffs whatever fit them best. And if nothing works I'll just leave the lyrics alone until I've come up with something else [musically] that I can try and make work.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Quote by Slick_KH
Just a question I've had about writing music. I know everyone has their own style, but which do you all prefer? I find if I write music first, my vocal melodys are a bit generic and I'd like to find a way to break this, so I may try writing the lyrics first. Anyone have one that they find works better?

mhm. at first, in was always putting music in first. but recently, i'm workin on writing lyrics first. then melody, then music.
It depends in my opinion.

If you have an awesome drum beat - write music and lyrics around the beat

If you have an awesome riff - write lyrics, drumbeat and bassline around it

If you have an awesome bassline - write a riff, drumbeat and lyrics around it

If you have great lyrics - write music around it!

Tadah...foolproof way to write a tune
As someone's said previously, it's a mix really. I find that I've got to know what the lyrics are gonna be about before I start trying to make up a riff or chord sequence. Then as I'm finding a groove for the song, the lyrics to my chosen subject kinda roll off the tongue then.
I usually write down any chord progrssions I like. Then after I write lyrics go back and try to fit one of those progressions into the lyrics. Once I find one that fits I use the chords to determine the melody.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by TheQuailman
Music first. Rock'n'Roll is about catchy riffs, nice drum patterns and smooth basslines. Most of the time your audience will ignore your lyrics anyway (if they're able to understand them, anyway). Death meatal bands are popular without anybody understanding a word.

yeah lol..