Hey I want to get a OD pedal, I'm considering the Bad Monkey because I like monkeys, and I hear it's a decent pedal. I've got a 30w tube amp (Crate VC3112) and a PRS tremonti SE. I was looking for something sort of cheap, but should I save for something better? I occasionally hear amazing things about this Fulltone OCD pedal. Is it worth it?
I can't recommend it enough. I personally prefer it to the tubescreamer.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I've heard the fulltone is great as well, but for the price I don't think you can beat the bad monkey.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
you might want to try the boss os-2 also.you can mix distortion and overdrive as you please.
I say Fulltone. Or maybe a Boss Blues Driver. Don't let the name fool you, u can crank it up in front of an already driven tube amp and it acts like a booster pedal.
I've the Bad Monkey and I think it gives me great vintage tones.
Quote by PumpkinPieces
The Bad Monkey should be just right, I love mine and its on almost all the time when I play with my band.

Yes, but Maxon OD-808 and Ibanez TS-9 and Fulltone OCD are best for boosting smaller tube amps and big ones too, many artist use those for that sort of thing.
The bad monkeys 50 bucks though

And its a damn fine screamer clone if not better
Quote by Silky Smooth
The bad monkeys 50 bucks though

And its a damn fine screamer clone if not better

different ball park my friend, I've used them all in stores on my amp with my guitar >;]
but bad monkey is okay at best
Its a hard comparison... the Bad Monkey is very nice, gives a great tone and sounds very close to the TS-9, just with the extra low end control (which is especially useful in many cases, if you have a trebly guitar or amp).

That being said I still prefer the TS-808 slightly, though it is not by a lot, not for the extra almost $100... so IMO you should go for the Bad Monkey.
Quote by Wylde_Life
Its a hard comparison... the Bad Monkey is very nice, gives a great tone and sounds very close to the TS-9, just with the extra low end control (which is especially useful in many cases, if you have a trebly guitar or amp).

That being said I still prefer the TS-808 slightly, though it is not by a lot, not for the extra almost $100... so IMO you should go for the Bad Monkey.

also depends on your amp settings too, but the Maxon OD-808 has tone nob that does low end when set low and high end when set high so its actaullly pretty versatle but sounds great in front of a high gain setup and high output pickups, thats what it was really designed for really, I didn't like the TS-808 for my setup and for the style of music I play

hey but isn't that why we test them out lol
You've gotta remember that most of those overdrives are clones of the TS... So there gonna sound very similar. In fact in a blind test I highly doubt anyone would be able to correctly identity what pedal was being used.
I gotta check out a bad monkey some time next moth
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt