ok so i hope im in the right forum,

if i tune to drop c would scales and chords have to be changed to play the same key, basically im wondering if i played a c like this

d-0--
a-1--
f-2--
c-0--
g-3--
c-x--

it wouldnt be a c anymore because of dropped tuning
so i would still be play the a/c minor scale the same as if it was in standard right?

it sounds the same key if i play
but im just starting with scales and learning lead so i was j/w
thx
If you drop the tuning the same scale shapes will work with the same chords as it did in standard tuning, but it won't be the same key. Say if you were in standard tuning and you knew how to play a Cmaj scale, if you tuned down 2 steps from E to C then you could still use the same scales but they would be in Abmaj/G#maj and not C.
The C major in your tab there becomes A# major. And the a minor/c major scale would have to be moved up two frets and the E(now C) string would have to be moved up two more.
ok so i hope im in the right forum,

Sure, this is the right place

if i tune to drop c would scales and chords have to be changed to play the same key, basically im wondering if i played a c like this

d-0--
a-1--
f-2--
c-0--
g-3--
c-x--

it wouldnt be a c anymore because of dropped tuning

yes, the fingerings for scales and chords would have to be changed if you want them to make the same sound as they do in regular tuning.

The chord you have there would end up being a Bb major. Think of it this way: If in standard tuning, that fingering makes a C major, and you tune all of the strings in that chord down one whole step, then that would make that chord go down a whole step. Thus, it would be a Bb Major.

so i would still be play the a/c minor scale the same as if it was in standard right?

Playing scales in a tuning where you change the relationships between the strings (like in this, you drop the low E by two whole steps, and the others only by one whole step) is pretty tricky at first, but if you try to avoid playing on the low E (or rather, in this case, low C) string, then you can take the rest of the shapes you know and move them each two frets closer to the bridge.

I hope any of this helps you.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
First off thats not a C Major chord. In standard tuning I think thats a D7sus2, inverted so that the C is in the bass.

A C Major in standard tuning is

E-0-
B-1-
G-0-
D-2-
A-3-
E-x-

It is a C Major chord because it contains the root, C(3rd fret on the A string), major 3rd, E(2nd on the D string) and 5th, G (on the open G string).

Now tuning down a step transposes all the notes on your guitar down one step or 2 semitones(frets) if you hadnt guessed already. So if you played that same C Major shape a step down it becomes Bb Major ( Bb<B<C)

If you wanted to play a C Major in drop C/1 step down tuning, one way would be to play a C Major Barre Chord shape 2 frets up from where you would play it in standard tuning(the 5th fret instead of 3rd fret on the 5th string) like this:

D-5-
A-7-
F-7-
C-7-
G-5-
C-(0)-

Bear in mind that in Drop C the lowest string is dropped another 2 semitones so watch out especially for chord shapes(apart from power chords obviously) that you would normally play on the lowest string.

Oh, and if you dont know it already, learn the chromatic scale
Last edited by Rational_Gaze at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by Rational_Gaze
First off thats not a C Major chord. In standard tuning I think thats a D7sus2, inverted so that the C is in the bass.

Hahaha, I can't believe I, along with all the other people who posted in here) missed that.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by seedmole
Hahaha, I can't believe I, along with all the other people who posted in here) missed that.

My thoughts exactly