ok im a n00b so be gentle.

i have the Fostex MR16 track recorder and as far as im aware im following the instructions right, anyway i am using headphones as the "monitor" and when i try to record i cant hear anything.

i am recording using the Rode NT1A mic. also i have turned on the Phantom Power on the MTR itself, i thought initially that was the problem (cos it was off) but even when i switched it on i still got nothing.

also i want to record to it using an Alesis Micron (synth), and i am guessing that i cant hook it up to the MTR with a 1/4" jack right? i tried that and failed, so it must have to be MIDI?

cheers for any help, i really dont know what im doing
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

The Alesis outputs stated from zzounds.com:

Audio Output:
Output Connectors: 2 Impedance-Balanced 1/4 in. TRS jacks, 1/4 in. TRS Headphone Jack

Run a TRS - XLR cord from the synth to your MTR. If that doesn't work, try running out the headphone port via the same type cable.

Test your old mic cord to see if its working properly, or try another one...
make sure the phantom power is running and then turn up your gain and faders.

ALWAYS turn off phantom power before wiring or unhooking any mics. I believe skipping this step could damage your mics and you don't want that with such a nice Rode condenser...

If you are wired and set to the manuals' specs, you should be working and if its not, you should probably try taking it to the store for a new unit as it could be that yours is broken new out of the box, (I'm assuming your MTR is new...).
sorted it out, apparently i was pressing the wrong button.

the button i was pressing was very similarly labeled so i hit the wrong one!!

everything seems to be under control, cheers for the help tho mate.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX