Well im just going to say it, I LARGELY DEPEND ON TABS.

there. now you know im one of "those" guys, who can play a lot of fun stuff, but cant tab out hardly anything myself.

I know, I know, I feel terrible blah blah blah. and im not a "true" musician I guess, w/e.

Any advice on being able to tab things out by ear? Is it just one of those "keep trying to do it and eventually youll get good at it" things, or is there actually some strategy to it? Because whenever I try to , I find myself just hitting a bunch of different notes over and over and over until maybe i get lucky lol.

I didnt post this for people to say "you suck learn how to play by ear", i posted this so some of you could advice me on how to start doing it! id love to be able to play all of those songs that arent tabbed out correctly, or not even at all.

a lot of Mors principium est isnt tabbed, and I enjoy them...among other bands that arent as known/tabbed...so yeah.

ANY advice or article referrals/lessons would be so helpful!!!

thank you so much
what ever you are using to use to listen to the music with, see if there is a slow motion button or something along those lines.

Other than that there really isnt much you can do as you become a better guitarist you start to see patterns and repetitions that other artists use, and once you catch onto that you can pretty much tab the entire song.

Do you know what a key is?
Well I certainly don't have perfect pitch , but I do know "C", "Bb", and "E" insanely well. I'm not even kidding, I just always know if it's a ^^^ , lol .

Anyways, just try and figure out the notes w/ your ears, it takes practice but it's SO worth it. Even to be able to recognize a few notes instantly is awesome.

Keep trucking!!!!
Everything I've learnt by ear is purely coincidental.
I'm noodling around the fretboard then "I recognise that" then I carry it on, following a scale (going up or down depending) and I work from there.
I was noodling around the E lydian scale and I, already knowing always with me always with you by joe satriani, recognised it. I hadn't played it in ages but then from just getting the scale and first few notes went quite a bit into it just by ear.
I dunno about you, but when i play by ear, it starts to hurt my ear after a while.
Hello
Windows media player, put the song on slow and listen to it if you want the rhythm, for figuring out the notes by ear, you will develop over time, some people can naturally but some people have to develop their ear
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
so its as I thought, just takes time. I wasnt sure if there was some sort of method I was missing lol...the slowing down sounds like a good idea tho.

thanks for the input
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Last edited by nvranka at Jan 29, 2008,
Yeah, music theory also helps
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
i generally fidn the closest note in pitch to the first and think ok it goes... da dum so i go down in pitch and look for a note that goes down the right amount and when i figure the riff out i look for the right root note. knowing scales helps too

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
music theory.

-you could practice tuning with a pitch pipe and then try to guess with you ear and see how close you were to the pitch pipe. and repeat.

-idk...it just kind of comes with time....try to play along with things that you dont know by tab and listen. get it to sound in tune and try and find the key of the song. ect.

i hope that gives you, or sparks some ideas!
All goes down 2 music theory and listening to the song over and over again.Guitar pro helps too