Hey sorry I know this is a really neophyte question but what's the point of a distortion pedal if you could just get a pedal to switch to ur amp's dirty channel with the gain cranked. Is pedal distortion supposed to be better? Just wondering...
Well, example: I have a Blues amp where I like my tone and my speaker, however, the gain isnt enough for what I play. Ill buy a distortion pedal, run it through my clean channel so it acts as a bypass switch and as a killer distortion sound.
Its just sot have AMAZING cleans and AMAZING distorted tones on one amp. Most likely, someone's clean channel is more preferrable than their distortion channel, so they use a pedal to achieve the sound they want. Technically, if you like your amps clean and overdriven channel equally, you might as well just buy a footswitch
Different sounds, it's all about different sound, you might want to get a nice blues distorted tone from you madison, but using it's distortion won't let you.

It's all about the sound dude.
Quote by dudetheman
That's....

an abomination. It's like a BC Rich had sex with an Ibanez, had an abortion, and it survived on the side of the road eating roadkill and drinking it's own urine.

Most metal guitar ever. Period.
it depends. my gain channel sucks balls (I think my model might be defective ) but I have a nice clean channel and 50W tube power. so I use a distortion pedal and am extremely happy with it.
depends how good your amp's distortion is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea some amps have really good distortion. Mine does so I dont even own a distortion pedal. And then some really dont have distortion or not very good. And there are some that dont think they get enough distortion so have to augment with a pedal. I just use a tubescreamer to boost my amp sometimes.