I always wondered what is the correct way to say when you're not in standard tuning - i.e. when your tuning has accidentals in it. Should the correct note names be flats or sharps?

So a half step down would be:
D# G# C# F# A# D# or Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb ?

Should it be flats, because you're tuning down? Is there any rule about this or just say as you wish?
those notes are all enharmonic, meaning they're the same note with different names. there is no rule about it, just which ever one you feel like.

:edit: well... i dont know why i threw that thing about enharmonics in. sorry, it wasnt really relevant.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by FLNagle
those notes are all enharmonic, meaning they're the same note with different names. there is no rule about it, just which ever one you feel like.
Wrong.

You should call them by their flatted names, not sharpened. While they are enharmonic and sound the same, spelling (Eb vs. D# is called spelling) mattern when you're talking about scales, chords, and intervals.
It would go either way unless the song was in a specific key. If you're just naming the strings out of context, I would go with the Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb way, because it immediately lets people know that it's just tuned down half a step, while the other way would need a bit of thinking first.

But if it was in a song with a specific key signature, then you would have to name it correctly according to that.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
no dude isnt he talking about like "tuned down a perfect 4th" or tuned down" a minor 3 rd"
Fallen Into the Abyss of indignity, Doubt Does Not exist Or Dome Into Being Ignominious and Pale
Quote by seedmole

But if it was in a song with a specific key signature, then you would have to name it correctly according to that.

Correct. For example, people always mess this one up, in the key of C# Major the notes are:

C# D# E# F# G# A# B#

NOT:

C# D# F...etc.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6