How long will the war in the Middle East go on for(personal relevance)

Page 1 of 4
Yeah so I'm joining the Army as an Officer when I turn 18 in 7 months. British btw.

My cousin is in Afghanistan right now.

Always wanted to join, definetly going to join.

I want some action though, I don't want to sound like Rambo but I DO want to go to a warzone.

I'm not some naive macho kid waiting to kill some arabs, but I want to go to war for MYSELF.

So my question is how long will Britain be at war for? Any conflict in general. What with Iran and all it seems like we could be there for some time.
You want the war that's killing thousands of innocent people to continue so you can feed your sick pleasure for killing arabs?

Should be a few more years.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
who knows man, for all i care, f*** afgahnistan and their problems, maybe if all the troops just ****ed off maybe they'd be at peace, all the troops are doing there is making things worse.
i dont agree with the war but good luck man, will always support the man on the ground, full on respect for you troops.
keep blues alive
i have a friend in the RAF, saw him a few months ago, he's sure nobody will be pulling troops out for another four years at least
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by shibbyshaun
Yeah so I'm joining the Army as an Officer when I turn 18 in 7 months. British btw.

I want some action though, I don't want to sound like Rambo but I DO want to go to a warzone.

I'm not some naive macho kid waiting to kill some arabs, but I want to go to war for MYSELF.

So my question is how long will Britain be at war for? Any conflict in general. What with Iran and all it seems like we could be there for some time.

Watch a movie called The Ground Truth, it will change your mind. It is a useless cause dude, they are not even there for a reason anymore, basically because Bush wishes to continue believing that he was right all along and there was actually a potential threat instead of just doing the traditional American thing: arming yourself to the teeth then taking blind shots in the dark to fuel your own misjudgment and errors.

Don't go to war, it's a load of misinterpreted, amplified, causeless bullcrap now.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
My heart goes out to you man, it's bold to do that. but yeah, depending on who wins the election, its going to be at least a nother decade, either way. but i believe a good president, who supports the war, will end it sooner rather than later.
Dio didn't just become the supreme god of all music by sitting around HOPING something would happen.
Quote by synyster.punk
who knows man, for all i care, f*** afgahnistan and their problems, maybe if all the troops just ****ed off maybe they'd be at peace, all the troops are doing there is making things worse.

jesus, could you BE anymore ignorant?
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
The war will go on for years. DOnt think it will end by the time you join up lmao

Actually if you're asking if the war is gonna end within 7 months I dont think you should join lolz

Eventually they will start to pull out.
Quote by garden of grey

No offense, but everybody I have met with that attitude and reasoning to join the army failed hard in basic training.

and here i thaught the us army took anyone. lol, i know that makes me sound like a dick, but seriously, the perseption the world gets is that america takes any young jock from texas who wants to go to war and wants dumb asses who dont go to college. so i gues, ure actually doing some good with your reply here, good on you sir.
keep blues alive
Personally I don't want anyone to have to go to a warzone since my father died in Desert Storm and I hope you will learn to understand that not only will your possible death or injury affect you but it will affect everyone around you, but to awnser your question Britain probably won't be there for long since they already pulled out of Iraq.
Quote by synyster.punk

To follow up, while I do agree with that statement, I don't think everyone should be pulled out because then the power system there will not hurt us Allies, but kill their own people in a sort of self-destructive kind of manner.

However, I believe that America shouldn't have meddled in the situation in the first place because no matter how many dictators you find and slaughter, another will be there to take his place and resume the hierachical order. IT is an ongoing problem that they need to solve themselves. Trust American politicians to want to continue their disillusioned stronghold in the world and believe it's their ****ing god-given right to invade and meddle wherever they please because they fcking well believe "it's an urgent problem and it needs solving by appropriate action". Yeah appropriate action is killing thousands of civilians and still not eliminating any shred of a potential threat that probably wouldn't have existed at all had they not buttin on the situation in the first place.

/rant

IncuEdit: By the way syn_punk, it isn't the troops that are causing the problem, they are just following orders from their superior officers who in turn follow orders form dickhead politicians. Many of the troops actually regret signing up because their actions there were deplorable but were as a result of deception from their command. THey also had their judgment clouded day after day.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by young_is_god
and here i thaught the us army took anyone. lol, i know that makes me sound like a dick, but seriously, the perseption the world gets is that america takes any young jock from texas who wants to go to war and wants dumb asses who dont go to college. so i gues, ure actually doing some good with your reply here, good on you sir.

Quote by Pedalboard
You want the war that's killing thousands of innocent people to continue so you can feed your sick pleasure for killing arabs?

Regardless of my views on the war my being there or not won't affect anything. Being a soldier is all i've ever wanted to be and some hippie protester who thinks the world is some utopia isn't going to convince me otherwise.

Quote by garden of grey

No offense, but everybody I have met with that attitude and reasoning to join the army failed hard in basic training.

I have been training myself mentally and physically for the past 6 months.
You may want to see some action right now, but once you're in the middle of a firefight that isn't going your way, you're going to wish you could just be at home getting hugs from mommy.
Quote by shibbyshaun
Regardless of my views on the war my being there or not won't affect anything. Being a soldier is all i've ever wanted to be and some hippie protester who thinks the world is some utopia isn't going to convince me otherwise.

I have been training myself mentally and physically for the past 6 months.

Umm what he said wasn't hippie bull****, the veterans themselves are actually admitting that they didn't even know why they were there and that they were forced to kill thousands of innocent civilians because they were a "potential threat". That's not mentioning the exploitation of troops and post-traumatic stress disorder that you could potentially receive IF you survive.

You can't train physically or mentally for war dude, it's impossible, you get taught to be a killing machine and that is all you think about. I sincerely insist that you watch the movie The Ground Truth and if you are prepared for what they talk about, then by all means go and support a useless cause.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
forever unfortunately

if America were to pull out of Iraq...Iraq will become what it was before the war because noone there wants a democracy....therefore..there will always be soldiers in Iraq so we can have our oil
Quote by shibbyshaun

You are ****ING IDIOT. What the hell is your problem? You have a disease and desire to kill people for no reason. Seriously, look for help. Thousands of people have died, for what? Yes, the war had reason when it started, to prevent another 9/11. But now, it has lost all cause. And the fact that you envy those getting to shoot a gun at an innocent bystander is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Try doing something meaningful with your life, or just don't live it.
Quote by Archaon
You may want to see some action right now, but once you're in the middle of a firefight that isn't going your way, you're going to wish you could just be at home getting hugs from mommy.

Quote by IncubusMan999
Umm what he said wasn't hippie bull****, the veterans themselves are actually admitting that they didn't even know why they were there and that they were forced to kill thousands of innocent civilians because they were a "potential threat". That's not mentioning the exploitation of troops and post-traumatic stress disorder that you could potentially receive IF you survive.

You can't train physically or mentally for war dude, it's impossible, you get taught to be a killing machine and that is all you think about. I sincerely insist that you watch the movie The Ground Truth and if you are prepared for what they talk about, then by all means go and support a useless cause.

....Please

I've read enough poems and books and movies to realize the "HORRORS OF WAR"
I mean really, the war in the Middle East isn't even that intense. Compare walking around in heavy armour and calling in an airstrike on some arab 5 miles away on a horse to the D-DAY landings.

I've talked with afghan and iraq vets. The word that always comes up is how boring it is.
Conflict in the Middle East won't end until it is able to resolve its own problems. Not only are there two warring religions who have been fighting for a thousand years, but the West keeps sticking its nose in trying to force the West's conception of what is right on the Middle East. Democracy is a prime example. No concept of democracy ever formed in the Middle East, our modern, Western concept of it developed with growing individualisation around the period of the development of Modernity and the Reformation in the 16th century. Our concept of Modernity never developed in the Middle East, hence, democracy and individualism are still foreign to them. However, as we have seen in the past century, the West keeps trying to force concepts like democracy and nation states on people who have never developed any concept of this. It's never going to work until the people of the Middle East come to their own conclusions, rather than being made to substitute in our Western ones.

TS, don't tempt fate...
Quote by Metal-X
Until it's done.

This.

No matter how much Democrats or Republicans say they will end this war if they are elected, pulling out without establishing a new Iraqi government will be a cause for revolution. Because we didn't just throw thousands of men into the desert to die just so we could give up.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
Quote by TUMFP
You are ****ING IDIOT. What the hell is your problem? You have a disease and desire to kill people for no reason. Seriously, look for help. Thousands of people have died, for what? Yes, the war had reason when it started, to prevent another 9/11. But now, it has lost all cause. And the fact that you envy those getting to shoot a gun at an innocent bystander is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Try doing something meaningful with your life, or just don't live it.

"Innocent"? lol

Sorry dude but the world isn't perfect.

The middle east is a **** hole, we're there to make it a better place.

I want to go there and kill every last arab weilding an ak or an rpg, in order to help Iraq and Afghanistan develop.

****, after this I hope we go to Iran, then North Korea, then what ever the ****ing monkeys in Africa are arguing over right now, cause there's always conflict there. GENOCIDE still continues in Africa.

I'm all for having World Peace, but we have to eliminate the threats to that World Peace in order for it to happen.

And you might say something along the lines of..."NOT OUR PROBLEM"

I don't give a **** if it's another country, we're all still humans.

True story this:

My cousin had a 2 week break from Afghanistan a month ago. He came back and told me how he and his captain were almost in tears when they saw a little girl scavaging for food in an area that had been occupied by the Taliban.

And that's why we're there.
Quote by shibbyshaun
"Innocent"? lol

Yes, tens of thousands if the most conservative estimates are correct.
Quote by shibbyshaun

Mmm and you think starting wars is helping?
Quote by shibbyshaun

A better place? Well how do you propose to do that? What ever you are doing at the moment isn't working particularily well is it? Do you even know why there are conflicts in the Middle East?
Quote by shibbyshaun
I want to go there and kill every last arab weilding an ak or an rpg, in order to help Iraq and Afghanistan develop.

Wouldn't it be better if you didn't need to kill them in order for them to put down their arms. Edit: Here's a clear example of your ignorance, Afghanis are not Arabs.
Quote by shibbyshaun
****, after this I hope we go to Iran, then North Korea, then what ever the ****ing monkeys in Africa are arguing over right now, cause there's always conflict there. GENOCIDE still continues in Africa.

Oh dear, you actually think that if you invade countries you can make them better?
Quote by shibbyshaun
I'm all for having World Peace, but we have to eliminate the threats to that World Peace in order for it to happen.

Actually, the best idea is to try and get people to reach a consensus and to discuss their issues, not to kill people we don't agree with.
Quote by shibbyshaun

It's not our place to force our idea of solutions on people.
Quote by shibbyshaun
True story this:

My cousin had a 2 week break from Afghanistan a month ago. He came back and told me how he and his captain were almost in tears when they saw a little girl scavaging for food in an area that had been occupied by the Taliban.

Perhaps the fact her country has been at war for six years hasn't help?
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by shibbyshaun
the ****ing monkeys in Africa

So you're racist too? So by your train of thought, we should invade your home and kill you because you a troubled person.

Ever remember they're better ways to solve issues than rampant violence?

Shaun =/= shibby.
Quote by shibbyshaun
"Innocent"? lol

True story this:

You know I'm beginning to get to the point with you where you are better off going to war because your absence will make the mentality of America a better, more real mentality and you will actually learn the reality of the situation rather than being a trigger-happy, ignorant twat about it all, thinking you will make a difference in a cause that doesn't even have a point.

I really can't recommend enough that watch The Ground Truth before you make what you think is reasonable judgment based on no valid experience and words that some guy who probably was solely insistent on talking himself up instead of real veterans that went to war thinking it would be a good experience and then killing civilians who were trying to make a life for themselves.

Two things for the record, you just said you want to kill every arab wielding a gun and then said you heard someone say that they saw some "little girl scavenging for food". Dude that is hypocrisy at its finest. She is an Arab, she could be dangerous under your mentality. Picture this then wise guy. Imagine you had to kill that girl to fulfill an order from your commander that she could be a potential threat and then tell me that wouldn't have a psychological effect on you. NO its not a horror or an atrocity of war like "in the books" but it would sure bring you back to Earth buddy.

Also for the record, D-Day actually had a cause and won the war for the Allies who triumphed over Hitler and the Nazi regime, killing people that were hostiles, shooting at the Allies to try and defend their Fuhrer. That my friend, is a situation where firepower is necessary to neutralise a threat to your country. THat is when victory was the end of years of persecution and anxiety. NOw look at you. You are persecuting Arabs, you are implying they are all dangerous and comparing a noble feat of endurance to some bull**** war inthe Middle East where the only thing being done is the slaughtering of innocent (yes, women and children like you described) civilians so that the politicians can satisfy their own inflated egos. DOes that sound like a valid cause to you?

For the record
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by IncubusMan999
You know I'm beginning to get to the point with you where you are better off going to war because your absence will make the mentality of America a better, more real mentality and you will actually learn the reality of the situation rather than being a trigger-happy, ignorant twat about it all, thinking you will make a difference in a cause that doesn't even have a point.

I really can't recommend enough that watch The Ground Truth before you make what you think is reasonable judgment based on no valid experience and words that some guy who probably was solely insistent on talking himself up instead of real veterans that went to war thinking it would be a good experience and then killing civilians who were trying to make a life for themselves.

Two things for the record, you just said you want to kill every arab wielding a gun and then said you heard someone say that they saw some "little girl scavenging for food". Dude that is hypocrisy at its finest. She is an Arab, she could be dangerous under your mentality. Picture this then wise guy. Imagine you had to kill that girl to fulfill an order from your commander that she could be a potential threat and then tell me that wouldn't have a psychological effect on you. NO its not a horror or an atrocity of war like "in the books" but it would sure bring you back to Earth buddy.

Also for the record, D-Day actually had a cause and won the war for the Allies who triumphed over Hitler and the Nazi regime, killing people that were hostiles, shooting at the Allies to try and defend their Fuhrer. That my friend, is a situation where firepower is necessary to neutralise a threat to your country. THat is when victory was the end of years of persecution and anxiety. NOw look at you. You are persecuting Arabs, you are implying they are all dangerous and comparing a noble feat of endurance to some bull**** war inthe Middle East where the only thing being done is the slaughtering of innocent (yes, women and children like you described) civilians so that the politicians can satisfy their own inflated egos. DOes that sound like a valid cause to you?

For the record

Quote by Kiwi Ace
Yes, tens of thousands if the most conservative estimates are correct.

Mmm and you think starting wars is helping?

A better place? Well how do you propose to do that? What ever you are doing at the moment isn't working particularily well is it? Do you even know why there are conflicts in the Middle East?

Wouldn't it be better if you didn't need to kill them in order for them to put down their arms. Edit: Here's a clear example of your ignorance, Afghanis are not Arabs.

Oh dear, you actually think that if you invade countries you can make them better?

Actually, the best idea is to try and get people to reach a consensus and to discuss their issues, not to kill people we don't agree with.

It's not our place to force our idea of solutions on people.

Perhaps the fact her country has been at war for six years hasn't help?

Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999

For the record

1. Please explain why you think my commander would order me to kill a little girl who he sees as a threat. Read what you typed back to yourself, and realize what a ****ing idiot you are.
2. I'm not persecuting arabs, i'm persecuting arabs with ak's and rpg's.

DUMBASS
Last edited by shibbyshaun at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by shibbyshaun
....Please

I've read enough poems and books and movies to realize the "HORRORS OF WAR"
I mean really, the war in the Middle East isn't even that intense. Compare walking around in heavy armour and calling in an airstrike on some arab 5 miles away on a horse to the D-DAY landings.

I've talked with afghan and iraq vets. The word that always comes up is how boring it is.

Before you go off joining a war, you really ought to learn to read. I said once you get into the middle of a firefight that's not going your way, you're going to wish you'd never signed up and that you could just be at home in the loving embrace of your own mother.

As in, not walking around, knocking on doors, or waiting for orders. Read: Firefight.
Quote by Archaon
Before you go off joining a war, you really ought to learn to read. I said once you get into the middle of a firefight that's not going your way, you're going to wish you'd never signed up and that you could just be at home in the loving embrace of your own mother.

As in, not walking around, knocking on doors, or waiting for orders. Read: Firefight.

Not every soldier has the same breaking point. Some are pussies, some are John Rambo. I'm John Rambo (serious)

Yes I AM serious, i've been through enough traumatizing **** in my life to not be scared of war.
Last edited by shibbyshaun at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by shibbyshaun
Yeah it would, unfortunately you can't convince extremists otherwise

OK stop right there mate. I read that with an open mind and here is where it started to go wrong.

You cannot force a "consensus" by invading a country that you don't any business invading and then just killing civilians and staying there when there is no threat to your nation. The violence is actually amplified by you meddling in the situation. We have no place there, let them solve their own problems, which will probably fade after we eventually leave, if we do.

If you are a soldier, it is not your job to try and agree and solve issues with diplomacy and a little chat. That is what a diplomat's job is. As a soldier, your job is to follow orders and neutralise threats by way of violence and conflict. That is your total role. And as you said, you cannot chat with extremists.

I'd just like you to examine the situation logically. They are extremists,granted. If so, what is it they hate? Americans. Who are we sending in to solve the problem? Americans. Does that not spell trouble to you. If we left them alone, who knows, maybe all those other terrorist attacks may not have happened. Soldiers are there to defend their people, and they are not dong that. That are attempting to defend another country that has no association with them, then shooting civilians by order of a commanding officer who in turn is ordered by a politician or cabinet minister. Is that defence? No, that is slaughter.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
there has been war in the middle east for a long time, and it will probably continue for a long time. how much of that will involve Britain is hard to say. i think you can assume that in another year or two there will still be British troops somewhere in the middle east.
Page 1 of 4