Do you guys stay in the same mode/key, or do you switch it up? Only scale I know is pentatonic minor, I know all the positions up the neck, but it does sound boring sometimes so I'll throw in some blues notes or some half steps to make it sound more minor or major at times. Is there something else I should be doing? Can I switch keys in the middle of a solo or would that sound awkward? I've been sort of stuck at the same general skill level for a while, I don't know how to improve my soloing. I've been getting better at hammers ons pulloffs vibrato etc etc but in general my sound hasn't changed much for awhile. I recently started learning more songs (got lazy for awhile) so hopefully that will give me new ideas.. but, yea, what do you think?
its a good idea to stay in key otherwise, amazing as your solos might be, will sound out of place and wont sound fitting although it is possible to switch to different keys, it something that takes more training as it requires a more trained ear and mind in theory so dont worry about switching keys for now. if your playing in minor keys use all the minor modes(dorian, aeolian, phrygian) to solo, if playing in major keys use the major modes(ionian, lydian, mixolydian) to solo. its really up to you how you use them though and what patterns you decide are best for whatever song your playing. IMO pentatonic can be fun to listen to and use, but at times can also be lacking, my advice is not to depend on it so much and try and explore different scale shapes! and as for physical betterment in playing, you know what im going to say...PRACTICE, try and practice all the major and minor scale shapes(modes) in the key of Cmajor to start as it is the easiest key to play in. once you learn your scales youll soon begin to see you can make patterns and licks using them also learning more cover songs couldnt hurt itll definitly help!
Originally posted by ICBMoscow
Hey I have a question... Iron Maiden is Considered metal right?
hmm ok i'll give it a try. could you recommend a good site that clearly shows the positions up and down the neck? I really hate those spliced diagrams that try to separate it out into different pieces, I get really confused. Also, should I try to learn what notes I'm hitting while I'm learning the scales? Obviously yea "it can't hurt" but is it worth the frustration/time at this point in time? Like for pentatonic minor I have no idea what notes I'm hitting. Wow I just had a flashback to a few years ago when I tried to learn most of the notes on every string up to the 12th fret, I made flash cards, lol. I guess I gave up at some point.
when i tryed learning scales and keys, i drew a picture of a guitar fretboard facing myself then all i did was fill it in with all the scales and modes and proper notes and id sit with my guitar and look at it and play scales soon it just clicked how all the scale shapes fit together and how i could choose different patterns. and YES it is a very good idea to learn what notes your hitting, its a must! but its easy once youve learned your scale shapes and know what key your in, you can find the notes like the C ionian(cmajor) is called such because it starts on C after that it ascends C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C, or for A aeolian(a minor) it would be A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A. i really recommend the fretboard drawing with all the notes written on it, because youll get some practice just from having to draw it, and once you finished it use it as a tool to learn the patterns. dont worry youll get it!
Originally posted by ICBMoscow
Hey I have a question... Iron Maiden is Considered metal right?
Quote by kazza2ud
Do you guys stay in the same mode/key, or do you switch it up? Only scale I know is pentatonic minor, I know all the positions up the neck, but it does sound boring sometimes so I'll throw in some blues notes or some half steps to make it sound more minor or major at times. Is there something else I should be doing? Can I switch keys in the middle of a solo or would that sound awkward? I've been sort of stuck at the same general skill level for a while, I don't know how to improve my soloing. I've been getting better at hammers ons pulloffs vibrato etc etc but in general my sound hasn't changed much for awhile. I recently started learning more songs (got lazy for awhile) so hopefully that will give me new ideas.. but, yea, what do you think?

First of all, you really should get acquainted with the major scale. Pentatonics come
directly out of that.

Modal changes within a solo are something very unlikely you'll need to make much
use of unless you're doing a lot of jazz. Even then, there's often ways of looking at
things that make things much simpler. A lot of people seem to "talk modes up"
like it was a centerpiece of soloing. I often wonder if they really have any idea
if they can apply what they talk about to actual playing. I seldom think about
modes when I'm soloing. It's just not a requirement for a lot of, particularly rock,
music. And you can have a listen to my own improvising in my profile if you want
to judge if I know what I'm talking about or not.

Probably what you need some skill at is actually following the chord changes in
your solos rather than "just play a scale" all thru a progression.
well i try to move up or down in a way i think will sound good when the chord changes, but I'm often not aware of what chord is being played or what note I'm moving to.
Quote by kazza2ud
well i try to move up or down in a way i think will sound good when the chord changes, but I'm often not aware of what chord is being played or what note I'm moving to.

Why are you not aware? What are you soloing to?
kazza2ud ,
If you know the minor scale then you also know how to play the eqvivalent major pentatonic .
for example the the A minor pentatonic would be the relative minor of C Major pentatonic.
Just go 3 frets up and you will get the eqvuvalent Major pent.

any how a few more vids about other scales might help out as well

guitar scales and solo lessons
Last edited by amibami at Jan 30, 2008,