OK, I recently purchased a nice acoustic guitar, I've been playing electric for sometime now, and I just wanted to write some stuff using an acoustic. My question is basically I've set up my electric just the way I like string height and relief in the neck, etc. Now my acoustic is set up pretty well the neck has almost next to no relief in it, but enough to keep it from buzzing and stuff. Still even with the relief set like this the strings feel much higher then my electric. I find myself going through the old hand cramps that I got when first learning barre chords on my electric, and basically just having to put more effort into fretting chords. I mean is this normal? Maybe it just that I need to adjust to the acoustic more.
yes. strings on an acoustic are much heavier than a normal electric guitar string. it's going to hurt for a while. then, when you go back to electric later on, you'll be thinking, "man, playing electric is so easy now"
You should have the guitar set up and have them put the action as low as possible. They will probably do it for free at the store where you bought it. Otherwise it will cost $40-50. It is well worth having done. It is possible that they frets need leveling too which might cost a little more but believe me it is well worth having it done if it needs it. You will find it much easier to play when they are done.
When i first got my acoustic, i played it for a few hours and then went back to my electric and it was like a night and day difference! Although now i got 10s on my acoustic they feel the same.
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Vintage V400-12 Solid Top 12 STRING!!!!!
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

Saxophone: Jupiter somethin or other
Thanks for the input, I love my acoustic, I don't think it need any dire repairs I just thing I need practice, but I think someone said something about a maybe throwing a lighter gauge string on them, can some throw some recommendations at me?
dont use lighter guage strings. if you press on the strings too hard, they'll go way off tune. the lightest i would ever go is .011.
yeah, don't go lighter than .11 light gauge. Oh and if you do adjust the action, don't go too low, you will lose a good amount of volume and bass in your tone. I made that mistake once, had to get the strings raised again lol
Ok, so don't throw on too light of a guage, can anyone recommend some strings and string gauges to me that would maybe be a little easier on my fingers and hand when fretting. I don't mean to sound like a baby, if practicing is what its gonna boil down too, then I will just have to do that, but I'm just wondering if maybe changing string could help make a difference.
I use ernie ball stainless steel 10s on my acoustic and in my opinion they are great. I used bronze 11s before and i hated them.
My Stuff!

Yamaha Pacifica 112
Vintage V400-12 Solid Top 12 STRING!!!!!
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha FD02 Solid Top
Orange crush 10
Watson XL15
Zoom G2
Encore PK40

Saxophone: Jupiter somethin or other
I played on my friend's acoustic the other day and the strings on the guitar were lower to the neck than mine, so it was easier for me to play it! can I have my guitar's string lowered by adjusting them from the saddle??
Last edited by Wild_Rose at Jan 30, 2008,
That is the preferred way (from the saddle) Get at luthier to do it though, cause you don't want to mess it up!

I recommend martin 4100's light gauge, or D'Addario's
no I don't want to do it by myself, I'll go to the guitar service guys!
thanks for your reply
Quote by SnufdaCrimeDog
if practicing is what its gonna boil down too, then I will just have to do that

that is exactly what it boils down to. if your guitar is new, it most likely came with either 12s or possibly 11s. i don't even like going lower than 12s, but i definitely wouldn't go lower than 11s. just practice and you'll get it. it'll make you a better all-around player (on your electric as well).