Ive got 4 choices that fit into my budget. The Blackheart BH5H and BH112 Half Stack, Peavey Valve King Royal 8, Palomino V8 and the Crate V Series V5 are the ones in my range. Its only for a practice amp and dont need it to be loud I just want good gain. My gear right now is a RG2ex1, DS-1, Bad Monkey, MXR 6 band(hoping to upgrade to the 10 soon). I want to try to get a Metal tone from Megadeth to Slayer. Whice amp would be my best choice and why? Any other gear suggestions would be greatly apprectiated. Thanks, Matt

Peavey Valve King Royal 8
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-Royal-8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481661

Crate V Series V5
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V5-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487050

Blackheart BH5H and BH112 Half Stack
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5H-and-BH112-Half-Stack?sku=483078

Palomino V8
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Palomino-V8-5W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp-103046553-i1146109.gc
valveking

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
valveking, overrated.

fixed.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
don't forget the epiphone valve junior
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
I'd go for the blackheart if I were you, those things are sweet.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Yeah I looked at the Epi VJ but the limited controls turned me off. I live to far away from a shop to try anything out myself. I have to buy off of the web so all info is greatly needed and apprectiated.
The Crate Palomino probably has the best chance of getting you the gain you want. Between your Bad Monkey and EQ, you should be able to get close enough metal tones.
i jus got myself a palomino v8..

american made.
sounds good.. with my me-50 i can get a metal tone but it probly wouldnt sound good cranked with a metal tone distortion
Quote by the.spine.surfs
The Crate Palomino probably has the best chance of getting you the gain you want. Between your Bad Monkey and EQ, you should be able to get close enough metal tones.

+1

That or the Valveking. You want an amp with a master and a gain if you want high gain at low volumes. The Blackheart and Crate don't offer you that. I really like the tone of the Palomino, but the VK is the only one that offers a headphone jack - which is really pretty cool.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Titans36
Yeah I looked at the Epi VJ but the limited controls turned me off. I live to far away from a shop to try anything out myself. I have to buy off of the web so all info is greatly needed and apprectiated.

The limited controls on the VJ turn me on. Minimal junk between speaker and guitar. Less tone loss through various switches, pots etc. All you need is a semi-decent EQ pedal. You can do the rest with the volume knob on your guitar. In fact, you don't even NEED an EQ pedal, learn how to use your guitars volume and tone controls.

Crazy easy to mod, too. One VJ, one soldering iron, ability to bypass/remove a resistor or two with said soldering iron = one high gain 5w amp.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Jan 28, 2008,
get the vj!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
I hope to purchase my new amp within the week so all this is being taken into consideration. But I would like some more advice if I can get it.
Last edited by Titans36 at Jan 28, 2008,
blackheart

but dont let the epiphone valve junior fool you, it may lack bass mid and treble controls, but if you're looking for true boutique tone and breakup at an amazing price, look no further than the valve junior

BUT, if you would rather an eq, blackheart
and if you want gain, just use a pedal, it's simple as that, unless if you wanna crank all 5 watts and watch the beauty of natural breakup unfold
Quote by Doodleface
this thing > all listed

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=VINTAGE16

It's 5/16 watt switchable so you can still jam if you want too!

That looks really nice.
You don't own it by any chance do you?
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
the blackheart amp is a ton of amp for your money. there is a video on youtube that gives you an idea of its sound - search blackheart amp.
Quote by Caustic
The limited controls on the VJ turn me on. Minimal junk between speaker and guitar. Less tone loss through various switches, pots etc. All you need is a semi-decent EQ pedal. You can do the rest with the volume knob on your guitar. In fact, you don't even NEED an EQ pedal, learn how to use your guitars volume and tone controls.

Crazy easy to mod, too. One VJ, one soldering iron, ability to bypass/remove a resistor or two with said soldering iron = one high gain 5w amp.

You got that right man

I never realized it myself how big of a difference it makes until recently. I only use 2 pedals and they have a simple gain and level knob straight into the amp! Sounds amazing and I can control my tone easily from the guitar and the amount of gain with volume knob manipulation.

You don't really need all those tone knobs to get a great tone, work from your guitar first as you can coax many sounds by rolling the tone knob & volume knob around.
I just listened to the Blackheart on you tube it does sound sweet. I listened to some modded VJ's on you tube also. Insane whats it cost to fully mod one?
I cant I live too far away to try anything out thats why I hoping to get alot of advice from you guys.
Quote by Titans36
Insane whats it cost to fully mod one?

Really, really cheap. With a visit to an electronic spares store, the tools pretty much anyone has in their garage and a quick hunt around the net for a decent guide, you can do it for a few quid/bucks.

There are also good "packages" available to buy from the net that include everything you need and detailed walkthroughs and diagrams for those not-very-electronically-minded. A bit more expensive but if you're not confident, these are a good way to go.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Not revive a semi-dead thread but..i was looking at the Blackheart until i saw a couple videos on youtube of guys playing with the EQ and saying that they do very little or absolutely nothing...can someone who owns this amp verify or debunk this?
Sig go here.