My mom has a friend who is having to sell off a "guitar room", I don't know what kind of stuff he has, but he's an older gentleman with apparently some past business in the music world (as a producer not a musician). I'm hoping that with any luck I can get Les Paul(s) and possibly and amp at a good price. As I said no guarantee he has awesome guitars or for great prices, but if so I want to go in as a knowledgeable buyer.

So if you guys could for example list like:

Les Paul Standard (I put "good condition" cause I figure on 10+ year old models they aren't going to be mint)
1960-1970: $4000 for good condition (remember, I'm making this thread to learn :P I don't know what those could sell for).
1980-1990: $2000 for good condition.

Something like that would be great, I just really want an idea of what to buy and what not to buy, and what to spend and what not to spend.

He of course isn't going to have a room full Les Pauls, there could be other Gibsons and Fenders and what-not there, so if you have any other guitars you might want to mention the general worth of, that'd be great.

Thank you all very much!
1950's les paul in like exc condition can fetch up to like half a million... yeah
but the really expensive ones are the ones used by legends like eric clapton or jimmy page
Quote by jimzer
1950's les paul in like exc condition can fetch up to like half a million... yeah
but the really expensive ones are the ones used by legends like eric clapton or jimmy page

Holy crap. No wonder we have the jawdrop emoticon.
Is there any site I can just rack up some general knowledge on how to tell Gibby and Fender models by year and model name? I know Gibson Les Paul Standards are good any year, but I'd like to be able to tell the year for any future reference. How do you tell what model a Fender is? I've played a Deluxe American Strat, but I don't remember it saying Deluxe American anywhere...

Thanks guys
Quote by jimzer

Really only the mid 58s-60s do that. Sunburst only you know. A good 3 or 2 humbucker custom from 57 on thru 61(there were about 21 made in 61) can go over 100K. 57 humbucked goldtops go for around 60-80k, and then the value tends to decrease by the years/innovations in the 50s ie 56 is worth more than 54.
Quote by Habit Zero
Is there any site I can just rack up some general knowledge on how to tell Gibby and Fender models by year and model name? I know Gibson Les Paul Standards are good any year, but I'd like to be able to tell the year for any future reference. How do you tell what model a Fender is? I've played a Deluxe American Strat, but I don't remember it saying Deluxe American anywhere...

Thanks guys

bro...

tell me the truth...

...do you love jesus or what?
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals