I have a squier j bass and im looking into upgrading instead of buying a whole new guitar. The question isw what do i upgrade? I played a 800 fender j bass and boy the there was a differnece between that and my squier. What can i do to make it like that guitar?
Change the body, the neck, the electronics, the wood. May help.
But i'm no pro.

edit: oh and the hardware.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Quality. Quality craftsmanship is what you were feeling in the Fender. There's a vast difference between a high quality instrument and the same instrument of less care. You can't make the Squier a Fender.
what was the 'difference'? sound? the way it felt?

if you want to improve the sound, upgrade the pickups. if your bass doesnt play so well, it might just be the low end quality, or it might just need a better setup.
You can't just mod it to make it good.

If you want a bass that plays like a good Fender, buy a Fender.

A Squire won't cut it. Never will. The woods, craftsmanship, the electronics, everything is different. Oh, and did I say I hate Squire?

Save up for a Fender. hoping that modding for a few bucks less than getting a new one will not work. Earn the good one. you'll feel good afterwards. At least you should.
Quote by Mattalac
Change the body, the neck, the electronics, the wood. May help.
But i'm no pro.

edit: oh and the hardware.

lol... so basically change the whole bass then?

In my experience, even modding pickups can only go so far in improving essentially an entry level bass. If you want a Fender, a Fender is what you need. A few years back, all I could dream was about owning a Fender. You'll get there in the end. I did!
What can you do to make your Squier into a Jazz? Make it into $800. The wood choice and craftsmanship of an MIA Fender sets it apart from the Squier in every imaginable way.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by amitbob21
i dont think my squier feels bad, i just think it sounds bad.

The trouble is, sound is a cumilation of everything in the bass, bar maybe the tuners. Every piece of wood, the quality of construction, the bridge, nut and electronics all contribute to the sound. Feel is more materials, and construction.

There is no way to make a squire a fender. The base materials simply are not as good, and it is not made to nearly to same standard.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by amitbob21
i dont think my squier feels bad, i just think it sounds bad.

If and when you can play an MIA Fender just after playing a Squier, then go back, you'll know exactly what I mean. The wood type, quality, and finish is just much better - not to mention how the instrument resonates.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..