Well. im a big fan of opeth and would like to play there style of music (more like there slower/acoustic type stuff. so i was wondering what modes they always use in more of there slower mellow type type stuff. for example like the damnation album or to bid you farewell or benighted.

thanks.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I remember my mum and dad went out to the cinema, and when they were driving home they looked to their left and a guy in a gorilla suit was in the passenger seat of the car next to them, waving at them You should keep it just for that.

^ROFL
minor
harmonic minor
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
hmm.
ok thanks.
but sometimes. i will hear a mini solo in the middle of a song and it will sound different than the harmonic minor or the minor? do they ever use those dimished scales and what not?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I remember my mum and dad went out to the cinema, and when they were driving home they looked to their left and a guy in a gorilla suit was in the passenger seat of the car next to them, waving at them You should keep it just for that.

^ROFL
Last edited by Cmann77 at Jan 28, 2008,
Most of the music I write comes out in the Opethian style (nowhere near that level of songwriting yet though), and I can tell you from experience to not think about the scales involved, but instead to think of how you want something specifically to sound, and figure it out on the fretboard.
I know they use a lot of chromatic stuff. Try that.
Quote by charlieballc
uh i googled Rosie Palm, nothing except gloves...
1) melodic/harmonic minor scales
2) the tritone (also known as the devils note), when played after a fifth you can get an opeth effect.
3) octave slides. Play a riff in octaves, and slide between the notes.