so, over here it's 1.30 am

I have an irrational fear of going to sleep incase my illness gets worse

so I thought a light hearted thread would help

my theory is simple:

many, if not all bassists gets a "bass face" when playing

definition of "bass face": a strange, sometimes amusing facial expresion worn by the bassist whilst playing

I'm thinking things likeKrist Novoselic during unplugged (the mouth open fly catching look, kinda like this ), and there's loads of examples

and I know I get it

so, anyone got any other examples or pics??

or you all think my theory is bogus??
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
It's not just bass players, although my brother who plays bass gets the exact same one you described. I know when I first started to play guitar I would get whay I just called a "playing face." I've been working hard at reigning it in though so I don't look like a total idiot . Most musicians I know get some kind of weird face when playing. I think there's some relationship between how long you've been playing, and the weirdness of the face you make.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
yeaa, mine changes depending on what kind of music I play....

damn other musicians getting it...bass face sounds soo cool
it ryhmes and everything
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
It depends. If it's something groovy my eyebrows kind of knit and I have a scowl on my face. If it's something technical my eyebrows raise and my mouth opens. When I'm doing something technical my shoulders also do a kind of wave where my left one goes up and then down as my right one goes up. It's epic.
i apparently look like im stoned out of my mind. like i usually have my head back at an angle and my eyes closed partways
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff

If that isn't a bass face, such a thing doesn't exist.

This is how I rock, boys.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I look like I am concentrating rather hard and I have heard that I tend to bite my lower lip on the harder songs. God, I must look downright awful or stupid, or both...
my face gets tense and i stare straight ahead when i try to play higher ground by rhcp at full speed... it's a double loss because i can't play it and i look decidedly un-groovin'.
Apparently i have a habit of staring at my feet with a blank expression on my face.
So, goin’ down the Amazon in a light green ’57 Chevy, uh. Well, you think that’s, um, kind of heavy?
i pucker up my lips slapping and rock i just go with. i dance with it more. my head dances. and i dance. i groove.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
For rocked out stuff, I scowl a bit and clench my teeth. I look angry, but it's rock and roll man.

When I play worship music, I'll probably close my eyes and sing along, but it all depends on where the Spirit moves me.
I stick my tounge out to the left and get a determined expression on my face.
Whit abound in this signature
I open my jaw as far as it will go without actually opening my mouth, and when some thing fast/complicated comes up, I shake my tongue around inside lmao.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by flyingmarlin
I open my jaw as far as it will go without actually opening my mouth, and when some thing fast/complicated comes up, I shake my tongue around inside lmao.

I just tried to do that then.

How can you play like that and not laugh xD
I'm often told, by family, that when I play a lot of stuff I end up opening my mouth and kind of gawping at the fretboard, or around the room, depending on the complexity of it. I tried to avoid doing it at gigs, but the photos are proof that I cannot escape the bass face!
signature
Quote by anarkee
I look like I am concentrating rather hard and I have heard that I tend to bite my lower lip on the harder songs. God, I must look downright awful or stupid, or both...

Me too, only that I do that in songs of all difficulties.
But don't say that we look stupid, we look ****ing awesome .

Since I were small, everytime I've done something hard, drew, or played music I've been biting my lower lip.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
When I unconsciencelessly play I have my mouth open and look like a fish but when playing gigs im really self conscience (not to mean that I don't rock out or anything). But everything I do live I do it for a reason and stuff.

Winking at the crowd, making eye contact and other crowd engaging facial expressions is really important to lock the crowd into your performance.

When im not doing this i'll be either looking away from the crowd at my drummer or headbanging or something.

If youre coming upto a hard lick making silly faces as if it's really really difficult. Look like youre expressing "eeek!" it always get a few laughs.

So long as your aint gawping at the floor or starring into space or getting fretneck (strain of the neck because you look at your frets too much while playing ) you'll look cool on stage.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I usually have my mouth slightly open - my gf always makes fun of me because of this.

The rare time I'm performing (lack of a band perpetuates this), I tend to try and rock out and really get into the music (cheesy stuff like closing eyes and swaying), so I don't have to look into the audience. I'll get nervous that way.
When I get in to the zone, just feeling the rhythm, then I like like I have a mental disorder. My eyes look glazed, my mouth hangs open with my tongue right there, and my head tilted downwards but not all the way. And I'm usually swaying to my beat. Pretty sad. I only snap out of it when I start drooling. I've drooled on my Precision Bass too many times.

Luckily I haven't done gigging very much, although my church wants me in the praise team soon, their bassist is leaving. I better work on it.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by Mutant Corn
I don't really get one....but this guy...perfect example.

my lips dont pucker up that much. just cause im black doesnt mean i have big lips
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by Mutant Corn
I don't really get one....but this guy...perfect example.

trujilo is just a bassface with a body attached.

my bass face i suppose
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
good to see so many varied faces

= ]

my gf thinks mine's cute,but she's strange, i grit my teeth usually and look well weird

this is the only pic I have,and it doesnt show its true glory, first ever gig though, Epic skate park, Mosely, good times

but I also seem to have acquired bass hair
seriously have no idea how my hair got like that, like my college photo...no-one remembers my hair being that long, so we've dubbed it "Cris-the Nirvana years"

shame I cant get that up here too, aw well I digress...
Attachments:
3.JPG
Quote by the humanity
Last edited by skippy_moogoose at Jan 29, 2008,

(^He's High as a Kite^)
IMG]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa102/cadenMmyers/JohnPaul.jpg
IMG]http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa102/cadenMmyers/JPJ.jpg[/IMG
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiL1sjGIcew
go to about :18 seconds into the video...
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I usually frown like Dan Briggs when I'm playin' a breakdown or just something heavy.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
My first though was Victor Wooten. He goes completely gormless during complicated bits and he starts concentrating.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Oh, and here's my singing face - I sing most of the time so this is the face I'm usually making:

My girlfriend always makes fun of me for it, but I don't listen to imaginary people, so it doesn't bother me all that much.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Fitz I think you win this thread

unique and awesome faces there

seems my theory is correct, us bassist carry the curse of the silly face, still, we get to play an awesome instrument, which more than makes up for it

word!!!
Quote by the humanity
Quote by thefitz
My girlfriend always makes fun of me for it, but I don't listen to imaginary people, so it doesn't bother me all that much.

Hilarious.
My guitarist mouths his solos like Vai. I kinda stare into space like I'm angry at an invisible leprechaun. Or, at least, that's how my mom puts it.
"We are, each of us, angels with but one wing, and only by embracing one another may we fly."- Luciano de Crescenzo

Makes you feel good inside, don't it?
I kinda stick my tongue out a bit if I'm into it and if I'm lost and have no clue whats going on I look like I'm lost and have no clue whats going on.