hey

ive been hearing that cigarette/pot smoke is bad for guitar amplifiers. i just want to know if this is true, and if it is, what does the smoke do to the amp? because i leave my amp in our practice hall and we share it with a band who 3/5 members smoke and i want to know if i should take my amp home with me. thanks
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
Nicotine stains that you see on walls? Yeah, that can build up and gunk things up.

But only if it's left 24/7 in there for about three years, and they're all chainsmokers and use your amp as an ashtray.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Jimmyyoung
Lulz Amp Cancer

hahahahhaa that made my day
Quote by The Leader
You know what they found in Jeffrey Dahmers freezer?
...Ben and Jerry (ba dum bum psh)

Quote by ninemonthmedia
if there was a metal jail, Metallica would be Pantera’s bitch

RIP Kurt Cobain
RIP Dimebag Darrell
Burn in hell Nathan Gale
when your amp is stoned... **** me... when it goes schizo, you don't wanna be there
I'mma FIIIIIRIN MAH LAZ0R

(Shoop da Woop)
Quote by Caustic
Nicotine stains that you see on walls? Yeah, that can build up and gunk things up.

But only if it's left 24/7 in there for about three years, and they're all chainsmokers and use your amp as an ashtray.

Hahahah.... It's not the nicotine that stains the wall.

And smoke doesn't harm your amp, unless the members are using it as an ashtray

TS, Tell your asshat friends to smoke outside like normal people do.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]'] Hahahah.... It's not the nicotine that stains the wall.

And smoke doesn't harm your amp, unless the members are using it as an ashtray

TS, Tell your asshat friends to smoke outside like normal people do.

I know it isn't, smartarse. It's the tar and assorted other chemicals in there. "Nicotine stains" is the common (albeit inaccurate) term for them, though.

And smoke of any kind will leave a residue. Again, the impact of a cigarette will have such a minute impact that it would take years of constant exposure to affect it... but it could, eventually.

And also yeah, tell them to smoke outside. I do.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by Caustic
I know it isn't, foo'. It's the tar and assorted other chemicals in there. "Nicotine stains" is the common (albeit inaccurate) term for them, though.

And smoke of any kind will leave a residue. Again, the impact of a cigarette will have such a minute impact that it would take years of constant exposure to affect it... but it could, eventually.

And also yeah, tell them to smoke outside. I do.

Yep, I'm a smoker, and I still can't stand being in a room full of cigarette smoke.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Yep, I'm a smoker, and I still can't stand being in a room full of cigarette smoke.

Me too. I find it damned rude to non-smokers, and a cigarette break for me is a break, five minutes to get away from whatever you're doing, suck down some tar and chill.
Quote by Caustic
Me too. I find it damned rude to non-smokers, and a cigarette break for me is a break, five minutes to get away from whatever you're doing, suck down some tar and chill.

Exactly! That's why on bar nights I always go outside to smoke, get some fresh air through a filter. Besides, the smoking rooms are always packed, and the air could be cut with a knife.
The build up of residue that would end up inside isn't conductive so it woudn't affect the electronics, but it could affect mechanical parts such as pots and switches. It would have to be there 24/7 for at least a few years before you notice any negative effects though.

Basically, don't worry about it.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Exactly! That's why on bar nights I always go outside to smoke, get some fresh air through a filter. Besides, the smoking rooms are always packed, and the air could be cut with a knife.

Well, over here in the UK we no longer have the choice to smoke inside, but that's cool with me because I don't really like smoky rooms except in film noir and the guy's poker night in.

Poker just isn't quite right without it.