as the title says, ive been using a metronome the past few days playing scales/excercises ive been given.

how long will it take for a noticable increase in speed? and can u guy give me sum excercises to play?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by thedude051
-Steve Vai Ten Hour Workout
-John Petrucci Rock Discipline

the JP is too hard for me because i suck, ive never seen the Vai one.
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by DiMeTiMe
It's not neccesarily going to improve your speed, it's not meant too.
It's meant to keep you into time, kind of like playing with a (good) drummer.

Yes it is. Plain and simple.
Be cool.
thanks a bunch thedude051, but

about how long (on average) should it take for me to get results?
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by seizetheday1103
thanks a bunch thedude051, but

about how long (on average) should it take for me to get results?

Well, just don't expect an overnight change, You'll probably start to notice slight improvement, with say anywhere from 30 minutes + practice just with the metronome in a week or two, maybe even less. Just keep at it.
Be cool.
k thanks. i really only started w/ the metronome yesterday and i say its been over 3 hours of play so far, and i plan on playing more and more b/c i really wanna gain speed and accuracy
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by thedude051
Yes it is. Plain and simple.

No. A metronome by itself does not improve your speed, I can play fast with or without a metronome. Practice is what improves your speed.

All it's supposed to do is get you to play in time or play rhythms correctly
(i.e. 4/4 time, 8th notes, etc.)

n00b1: Dude! I got a metronome, I can play so fast now!!
n00b2: My metronome's better!! So, I can play way faster then you!!

No, just no.
Last edited by DiMeTiMe at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by DiMeTiMe
No. A metronome by itself does not improve your speed, I can play fast with or without a metronome. Practice is what improves your speed.

n00b1: Dude! I got a metronome, I can play so fast now!!
n00b2: My metronome's better!! So, I can play way faster then you!!

No, just no.

Maybe you don't understand. When using a metronome with exercises a la Steve Vai's Ten Hour workout which are designed to improve speed and acuracy, it does help to improve speed. Hell, you don't even have to use an exercise with a metronome to improve speed. Just use a metronome while learning a fast song you like and trying to get it to tempo will help improve your speed. Ask any guitarist, and they will recommend you a metronome. I never said a metronome itself improves speed, its what you practice with the metronome that helps improve speed. Also, as I stated before, when learning songs, it is also handy to use a metronome and increase the tempo but by bit to help learn the song. And please, don't feed me that fake conversation bullsh**. Because all it is is over exaggeration and makes you look stupid.

So in short, to wrap things up...

No, just no.
Be cool.