Hey guys,

I have been listening to The Who A LOT lately. And I have been inspired to play the guitar. I have been talking to some people at school, and they said to buy a cheep acoustic guitar (less than $100). I mainly want to play the electric, however it is easier to learn the electric if you know the acoustic?? Is this true? I would eventually like to play both, but I just want to play The Who. I do want to learn to appreciate the guitar to the fullest.

Will I be able to play and enjoy the songs off The Who with an acoustic? I dont want to be the next Pete Townshend or Tim Reynolds. I just want to enjoy playing the music. What do you guys suggest? I know you guys spend all your time with this subject, so I value your opinion more than my friends, hence my name lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-GuitarNoob1
Yea get an acoustic first, it will be hard to play, but worth it. It's a good way to test your determination. Who songs shouldn't be a problem with the acoustic either.
sigh...
I say if you are going to play electric get an electric.They are also easier to learn on.
i say go with acoustic i have heard that it is harder to press down on the strings.. so when you eventually (might) will be playing elec you will not have a problem with sore fingers...
It's all lies, play what ever you can get, a guitar is a guitar after all bud.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
If you've been listening to electric stuff then get an electric, you can get cheap electrics now so the cost justification for starting on acoustic is redundant.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Definitely acoustic first.

With acoustics, it helps you get your technique right first, and finger strength due to the strings/action etc.

Then when you move on to electric, it'll be so much easier.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Quote by 68_SG
It's all lies, play what ever you can get, a guitar is a guitar after all bud.

That's sarcasm right?

Anyway, I myself got an acoustic first and then an electric, I found I only started learning properly on the electric because I was hearing the sound I wanted to hear and so I was more in love with the music.

Not that I don't love the sound of an acoustic now a days.
They use both electric and acoustic, off the top of my head:

Acoustic songs - Sally Simpson, beggining of Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes

Electric - A lot

I love The Who too My favourite band ever
If you get an electric, stay away from any cheap guitar with a tremolo system (whammy bar).
If what you want to learn is music played on an electric then my advice would be to go with an electric. Getting started can be a little tough if you have never played an instrument before and it is easier to stick with something if you are learning the music you love to hear.
just get an electric if you like electric guitar songs...if its not for you then its not for you, but at least you gave 'playing The Who' a fair chance, where as if you get bored with your acoustic then you never really experienced the who songs propperly..idk.

maybe do a compromise and get an electric acoustic (i dont know are there any good cheap ones?)
With a strat-type guitar and a Roland microcube you can still get acceptable acoustic-type tones, good look trying to get decent electric tones from an acoustic.

Also congrats on the band that's got you thinking about playing, I saw the Who last year and they still have it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, I bought an acoustic. I dont mind the acoustic at all. In fact, I enjoy listening to it often. I am a big Tim Reynolds and Dave Matthews Band. So I figured that I would learn some basic techniques on the acoustic, then pick up an electric. Right now I am learning to read and play Tabs. I am about to learn some of the basic cords. I want to be well rounded when it comes to guitars. I played the acoustic in a music class, but I hated the class. We played the stupidest music ever, and I think that drew me away from the guitar.

I would like to play the acoustic until I can get a couple full length song down real good. Then I may buy an electric. This way I know that I have the dedication to play. I dont mind spending hundreds to even thousands on a hobby that I enjoy so much. I just have to make sure I love it that much =).

I want to thank you all for your opinions. They inspered me to actually play the music instead of just listening to it.

-Guitar Noob1