I'm often suggesting to people to find themselves a vintage Traynor. Well, I finally got one myself. This is the Traynor Bass Mate YBA-2A...

There are two different versions of this amp, one that runs on 6V6's, and this one which runs on EL84's...

I'm pretty sure those are the original tubes, dating back to about 1970. I've read up on the amp, and supposedly it pushes about 25W thru those two EL84's due to the ridiculously high plate voltage they apply to the tubes.

Came with this huge-ass Sam Ash cab...

That little football player in the background probably dates to around 1970, too. I think it's made of asbestos.

Here's the inside of the cab...

I'm probably gonna pick up a J Design 1x12 for it tomorrow. If so, pics will follow. This cab is just too big and too muddy for my purposes. I played the head thru the speaker in my Deluxe Reverb and it sounded awesome!

Anyway, I'll continue to recommend these old Traynors. I can't believe how great this little bass amp sounds with guitar. Great clean sound almost all the way up the dial. I might get a new set of tubes for it just to see if there's any difference, although these old Phillips tubes are probably worth a few bucks, themselves.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
but slats, vintage stuff is for old people

i kid, looks like quite a find. let's hear it!

Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ah, slats, ya lucky bastard!

I'd love to stumble onto a YBA-1 or the 6V6 version of that one...

Yeah, I'd still love a YBA-1. I have a few amps that run on 6V6's, so the EL84 version of this one is cool for me. I got it from a guy at work who heard I liked amps. Gave it to me to take home and try it out and make him an offer. I offered him $350, and he said how about $300? I said okay.

Now I'm hoping to sell the 2x12.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
does it break up well? british or american tone?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ It's clean almost all the way up the dial. Breaking up kinda like a Fender Deluxe Reverb, but with a slightly British flavor to it (probably due to the EL84's).

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
clean clean? coool. i guess lots of headroom...

is it sensitive with picking dynamics and stuff? anything special u want to share about the sound/playability?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
nice find slats.
The dials look factory new, quite odd.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I want to play it more with a better speaker to get a real feel for it. For now, I'd say it's got a sound probably comparable to a Sound City or Hiwatt amp. Tough to get a real feel for it's dynamics thru this cab. It is SS rectified (can't have everything), but it does seem to respond nicely to my guitar's volume knob. Played with my Sun Lion and TS808 thru it a little bit with great results.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
noice. i don't think SS rectifiers are that bad... do tube rects make that big of a difference in response?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I think so, especially at higher volumes where you get that natural sag that's an important part of that vintage tone. But I recognize that's kinda nit-picking, too. This is definitely an amp I'd rather have than most of the newer EL84 run 15W amps on the market today, for less (and all of those are SS rectified, too).

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
like my blues jr. haha

i'll put in a rectifier tube so nobody can make fun of it!!! not.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
those vintage traynors are meant to be nice. never tried one though.

nice score slats.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?