I'm so tired of a boring tone, I want a tone like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Malmsteen, JerryC - something that sounds like one of those because some are somewhat similiar.
Or like Michael Angelo Batio but his is alot different.
The one I want the most though is JerryC's which is the guy who made the famous "Canon Rock"
how do you get a tone like that without spending loads?

If it matters, I use a Gibson Les Paul (I really can't remember what kind it is.. might be standard), Peavey Classic 50 as my amp, and the only pedals excluding my wah are a Lyon Distortion and a Lyon Chorus. I don't use it with my amp but I also have a POD 2.0 and I couldn't get a tone anything like the guys I listed out of any of this stuff.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Jan 28, 2008,
A tone like them?

As in, to sound like them? Because they all sound VERY different.

Or a tone unique like theirs are? (but I don't really know of Jerry C's tone... he's the guy who made 'Canon Rock' famous, right?)
Yes, but some of the songs they have similiar.. and yes JerryC made canon rock and he uses that tone on all his songs, it's the main tone I want.
hit up some delay, reverb something like that

most of those type of effects come on amps
myspace.com/crystalignition
i believe he is looking for a good shred tone.
Up the Punx!
The guitarists you mentioned still continue to fine-tune their respective rigs, even after several decades of being professional musicians. That said, there's no shortcut to getting a tone you truly like and feel fits you, other than trying out as much gear as possible and experimenting constantly.
Tiger style.
Its all about the pickups and your gauge of strings. Get Humbuckers and heavy strings and youll sound great. Now all you need to do is learn to play smoke on the water.
Quote by Muphin
Maybe if the Jews were kind to Hitler the holocaust wouldn't have happened.

Hahaha
Likidy enough with the smartass remarks, I've been playing guitar for quite some time now and have the first things you listed.. my setup sounds great.. I like the tone but I just want a more standing out tone.. like some of the artists I listed.
fernadez sustainer.

use a lot of reverb, and a little delay.

the larger the string gauge the richer the sound, but vai uses .009s and i'm sure the rest of those guys do as well.

get an Ibanez or Caparison etc.
Well, for a Malmsteen-esque tone (as I based my A Level* Music 20min Recital around his works in popularising Neo-classical rock/shred) I'll give it a shot at getting you started.

Malmsteen uses ALOT less gain than people think...he just has very strong (and fat) fingers. To start with, you need to work on getting a very wide vibrato up to scratch, without it sounding out of tune as you do it...it should be nice n smooth.

Then you want to make sure you have an accurate picking technique (alt. picking, sweeping, whatever you wanna use) because if your playing is sloppy it will be unclear and you'll have all sorts of unwanted notes ringing out.

Now, the actual basic tone before human factors come into effect. Malmsteen uses very light gauge strings (I think his custom Dean Markley set is a hybrid of .08 - .52, off the top of my head) and uses a Fender Stratocaster, so the lead sound may be a bit hard to get on your Les Paul BUT his signature bridge pickup (DiMarzio) is a stacked humbucker, so you can get the 'rhythm' sound pretty accurate.

Give the tone quite a bit of bass, mids...not really scooped but if bass is 8, treble 9, then put mid around 6/7. Treble as said, quite high. Malmsteen uses various Boss pedals, but of particular note uses a few different delay pedals I do believe, set with feedback (repetition) around 9 o'clock and a speed of around 1/4 of a sec. not too much volume on the delay though) Combine that with a decent reverb to get the desired effect.

For the less shred parts, use the bridge pickup and pick with an aggressive attack, to give the tone more bite.

For the lead sounds and almost all the sweep picking use the neck pickup (though his is a singlecoil, it should still give that sound).

In general tone sense, I would say the neck pickup is a fairly common component of the tone in metal and heavy rock lead guitar. I use the treble pickup for all legato though, and things that don't require too much alt. picking. I always sweep with the neck pickup.
Last edited by last_biscuit at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by Zephyr77
fernadez sustainer.

use a lot of reverb, and a little delay.

the larger the string gauge the richer the sound, but vai uses .009s and i'm sure the rest of those guys do as well.

get an Ibanez or Caparison etc.

Not in "Bad Horsie" he doesn't, I highly doubt he uses .009 gauge strings in drop C .

Quote by DiMeTiMe
Not in "Bad Horsie" he doesn't, I highly doubt he uses .009 gauge strings in drop C .

Erm...I'm pretty sure he actually uses a 7string guitar, i.e his signature 7 string and it isn't in Drop C.

I might be wrong...but I wouldn't be posting if I thought I was
yea. shred lead guitar sounds neck pickup a lot of times. i like malmsteen's guitar tone, and he's got skills. his tone sounds like his bass is around 8, mids at 6, treble at 6 or something though. not that trebly. it's rather warm. through his cranked marshalls.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
So what about the Canon Rock - JerryC tone.. anyone know how I could get that as well?

I've heard it was like a Boss Overdrive or something.. also heard that that like alot of the guys I listed use Boss pedals.. but can a simple overdrive pedal really give a unique tone..?
Quote by TechnicolorType
I'm so tired of a boring tone, I want a tone like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Malmsteen, JerryC - something that sounds like one of those because some are somewhat similiar.
Or like Michael Angelo Batio but his is alot different.
The one I want the most though is JerryC's which is the guy who made the famous "Canon Rock"
how do you get a tone like that without spending loads?

If it matters, I use a Gibson Les Paul (I really can't remember what kind it is.. might be standard), Peavey Classic 50 as my amp, and the only pedals excluding my wah are a Lyon Distortion and a Lyon Chorus. I don't use it with my amp but I also have a POD 2.0 and I couldn't get a tone anything like the guys I listed out of any of this stuff.

if u want tone like those artists u simply need the same gear as them.
but in my opinion (not that i think it'll matter) u shouldn't be looking to sound like other artists. u should try out as much gear as possible and just start adding new effects in a daisy chain and see what u can come up with.
Quote by ECistheBest
yea. shred lead guitar sounds neck pickup a lot of times. i like malmsteen's guitar tone, and he's got skills. his tone sounds like his bass is around 8, mids at 6, treble at 6 or something though. not that trebly. it's rather warm. through his cranked marshalls.

Yeah his tone isn't that trebley with leads, but bear in mind the neck pickup changes that as well, and his rhythm tone does have quite a bit of bite...that said, I posted those as a rough guide based on the average malmsteen-ish settings on amps in general.

My Hughes&Kettner switchblade settings would be a bit less bass, more mid and similar treble. On his Marshalls, I imagine there would be lower treble...at least, I find Marshalls a bit too trebley for me.

Plus, the guitar you use does quite a bit for the tone...though the amp is like 65-75% of the tone really. With his Les Paul, I reckon you'd need that little bit extra treble on the amp to counter the darker tone of a thick, mahogany guitar with humbuckers.

Oh, and no problem (to threadstarter). Just answering as best as I could for one of the sounds
Quote by TechnicolorType

...also heard that that like alot of the guys I listed use Boss pedals.. but can a simple overdrive pedal really give a unique tone..?

Just to clarify, most of them (like myself) don't use the overdrive as you might be using it.

That is to say, they tend to mainly use the overdrive/distortion channels on the amps themselves, rather than pedals.

The overdrive pedals are then added for a boost to 'drive' the amps' valves (tubes to US/most UGers :p into a thick, heavy distortion when cranked. And of course, due to the circuitry and all manner of resistors and things in the pedals, they alter the eq of the tone as well...some more than others.

The DOD YJM308 (DOD's signature Yngwie J. Malmsteen overdrive) is marketed as an overdrive/boost pedal, for example. And that's how most pro's use overdrive pedals and the like. That particular pedal also gives quite a treble boost, which might sound odd but it helps it cut through the mix live and that is another reason for a higher-than-you'd-expect treble setting on the amp.

Quote by TechnicolorType
Yes, but some of the songs they have similiar.. and yes JerryC made canon rock and he uses that tone on all his songs, it's the main tone I want.

I believe he uses a Line 6 POD for all/most of his recording stuff. One would also help you get closer to the rest as well.
gain mids, over drive, skill, mello smooth tone, neck pick up, reverb
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt