I haven't mastered it in the least, but everything I do with it seems to sound the same. So are there any unorthodox licks that you would reccomend?
Or maybe a different scale that would suit a grungy, Smashing Pumpkins type style?
well.
i had the same problem.
(got bored with pentatonic scale.)
everything sounded the same.
but first master it. it will be good to know it.
maybe try the just the major scale and all of its modes. that should suit your genre
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I remember my mum and dad went out to the cinema, and when they were driving home they looked to their left and a guy in a gorilla suit was in the passenger seat of the car next to them, waving at them You should keep it just for that.

^ROFL
Learn licks and solos by your favorite guitarists and incorporate it into your playing.

For good pentatonic licks I recommend Paul Gilbert, Zakk Wylde, Eric Johnson, and pretty much any classic rock guitarist ever.
Feel free to add notes and experiment with the Pentatonic. It's not like you're ball-and-chained to it or anything.
I think the reason why a lot of players get bored with the pentatonic scale is because most of the limit themselves to playing in one key. Let's say you're soloing over a progression in C major. A lot of players who use the pentatonics would use A minor/C Major strictly. This obviously limits you. Don't forget that you have a few other pentatonics you can use in C Major that will still fit diatonically. You have 6 (technically 3 if you're counting the shapes as 1 pentatonic) different pentatonics you can play in each key. For C major, it would be C Major/A Minor, F Major/D Minor, and G Major/E minor.
Quote by CowboyUp
Learn licks and solos by your favorite guitarists and incorporate it into your playing.

For good pentatonic licks I recommend Paul Gilbert, Zakk Wylde, Eric Johnson, and pretty much any classic rock guitarist ever.

I'm a huge Zakk Wylde fan, I've noticed he uses the pentatonic sclae ina lot of unique ways so that it doesn't sound the same, the solo to No More Tears happens to be one of my favorites of all time, but I want to know how to compose something like that.
mix major and minor and play based on chord changes. For example if your hammering out some minor blues licks over an E chord and it switches to an A slide up to a C# which is the major 3rd of A and the minor 6th of E. This is gonna accentuate that A chord, while brightening up your solo and giving it a "happier" sound
Quote by Vittu0666
For C major, it would be C Major/A Minor, F Major/D Minor, and G Major/E minor.
As long as you remember that the root is C, then this can be really cool.
Start working on 7 note scales, work them in thirds. Arpeggios and the like tend to spice things up.
The first step is to move slightly beyond to at very least the aeolian mode. This means adding a Major 2nd and a minor 6th to the minor pentatonic. I find that even that allowed me to get new sounds into my guitar vocabulary.
Quote by jamesrussianmafia
Vittu0666 How do you know what letters go together?

Basic knowledge in theory. If you want further information, please make a new thread.

Also, "Vittu0666" is probably the best username I've seen here.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here