Page 1 of 2
I know gibson guitars are good and you hear a lot about them but i don't think ive ever heard or seen someone play one....i was looking at musician friend and saw some and i was just wonderin are they good or not?
um. amazing. i think they can be great quality instruments, the higher up models you get the better the quality control and craftsmanship. plus its opinion but many guitarists use it. i am assuming you are talking about guitars and not bass guitars so some examples of gibson players = peter frampton, jimmy page, eric clapton (w/ john mayall and cream), angus young, the black crowes guitarists, paul mccartney, etc....the list is endless

i guess you were talking about bass guitars then, my bad. i cant name one artist that uses one than
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
im pretty sure the bassist from INXS played one.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by IndianRockStar
Nothing like their guitars. They are not good instruments, unlike many of their guitars.

Many of they're guitars are very much the same.

Grossly overpriced, bad quality control, and just not-worth it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Nikki Sixx plays a thunderbird.
You may have a 10 x 10 stack of marshalls and i may only have one, but mine goes to 11.... Beat that
Quote by thejester
um. amazing. i think they can be great quality instruments, the higher up models you get the better the quality control and craftsmanship. plus its opinion but many guitarists use it. i am assuming you are talking about guitars and not bass guitars so some examples of gibson players = peter frampton, jimmy page, eric clapton (w/ john mayall and cream), angus young, the black crowes guitarists, paul mccartney, etc....the list is endless

i guess you were talking about bass guitars then, my bad. i cant name one artist that uses one than

yea i was talkin about basses, i knew gibson guitars were great...hell guitar players with a gibson are a dime a dozen but while im no guitar player i still prefer the way a fender sounds haha (preferably a tele)
I'm pretty sure this is the BASS forum, therefore the question is bass related, not guitar related.

Many famous musicians use the I suppose, and I'm a fan of their guitars, but I cannot stand their basses.

I'm a Fender bassist.
Gibson basses are essentially guitars with longer necks. They balance horribly and have poor fret access. Also, their electronics are notorious for being bland and muddy. Some people like that, apparently. The design issues people are willing to live with as well, I assume just to be difficult and to be able to say "I like it so shut up, I like being different for the sake of being different".

Gibson basses are living proof that basses need to be designed from the ground up. You can't just give a guitar body a longer neck.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

Gibson basses are living proof that basses need to be designed from the ground up. You can't just give a guitar body a longer neck.

+1
i was actually wondering about that fitz cause the ones i saw all looked EXACTLY like the guitars they were modelled after and i was curious about how that would work...i believe yall but i would like to play one just to see what its like...too bad this podunk town doesnt have a music store and the closest ones dont carry em
The only Gibson basses I even remotely liked was their semi-hollow bodied bass, and even that was tremendously overpriced for what you got.

I love Gibson guitars (I owned a studio LP at one point in my life and hope to again), but like Fitz mentioned, they have this odd concept in their design studio that a great guitar design will translate into great designs for all string instruments. And its not just bass mind you, they have a mandolin called a "Mandobird".
Gibson cant make basses, i really prefer Fender over anything. Guitars are nicer and the basses are just amazing.
You stole my Overture
Quote by BulletFrost
Gibson cant make basses, i really prefer Fender over anything. Guitars are nicer and the basses are just amazing.

Then why are you "saving up for a thunderbird iv"?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I feel like the only one who NEVER pays attention to sigs. I would have NEVER caught that little contradiction. Maybe he just doesnt wanna be in the Gibson-supporting minority. Wise if you ask me. (i of all people should know, as i learned that the hard way)
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]

That is quite possibly the most horrible thing that I have ever seen. Fitzy, you have no idea of the overpowering urge that I feel to purchase and then send you one of these.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Quote by Beast_Within

That is quite possibly the most horrible thing that I have ever seen. Fitzy, you have no idea of the overpowering urge that I feel to purchase and then send you one of these.

um what the hell is it? haha
it looks like a mandothundirebird
Quote by thefitz
Then why are you "saving up for a thunderbird iv"?

that was written when i first came to this site. since then ive gotten to play a iv myself and realized its crap. sorry if im too lazy to change my sig....
You stole my Overture
The only Gibson bass i've found that could posses any great tone, is the Gibson les Paul Triumph. I think Gibson really hit the nail on the head with high/low impedance switch and 3-way tone switch on it. Very nice
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

They suck so bad.... ugh ....

Muddy tone, Overpriced, Gibson ugh, neck dive, no lower fretage reachability, not to mention the way they look.

It's a horrible design, made worse by it's price. But I guess it's all personal opinion.
How many gibson bass threads must a man read in his lifetime?????
Yea what everyone else said, overpriced, lacks in tone and playablility.
I love how everyone is saying, "yeah this isn't the guitar forum, it's the bass forum....I like Gibson guitars, but not basses."

A bass guitar is still a guitar.

Anyways I don't think Gibson is very popular for it's bass guitars, maybe for a reason.
Quote by phillyguitar
I love how everyone is saying, "yeah this isn't the guitar forum, it's the bass forum....I like Gibson guitars, but not basses."

Anyways I don't think Gibson is very popular for it's bass guitars, maybe for a reason.

Then what's the range of your guitar, Mr. Fancypants? You have a tenor guitar? Soprano guitar? Alto guitar? Hmm?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by phillyguitar

oh no, theyre different. For example, my x-guitarist couldnt play bass at all (but he could tap on it ).
For bass you have to have good rhythm and musicality
For guitar you have to.... umm.... be egotistical? i dunno
Quote by thejester

Wait... what?

+1 name to the retarded guitar player stereotype book...

Quote by phillyguitar

Make that +2...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by ChemicalFire

Make that +2...

Not to start an arguement but the electric bass was designed as a replacement to the double bass, for more portability and volume with amps as opposed to a big borther for the guitar.

But I think Gibson basses have been covered. Overpriced, horrible designs, poor tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Not to start an arguement but the electric bass was designed as a replacement to the double bass, for more portability and volume with amps as opposed to a big borther for the guitar.

But I think Gibson basses have been covered. Overpriced, horrible designs, poor tone.

Yeah I know Basses were after Guitars, but Bass Guitars =/=Guitars, not really, the play style and the methodology is competely differant.

And about Gibson basses, I would only by an EB or a T-bird because I like the look of them, not because they are good, I would stick to Fenders and Ibanez's for companies that make both.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
And about Gibson basses, I would only by an EB or a T-bird because I like the look of them, not because they are good, I would stick to Fenders and Ibanez's for companies that make both.

*Points to user title*

Ahem...
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by DOCMOTORSPORTS
Krist Noveslic From Nirvana Used Gibson Thunderbirds Very Often

Noveselic used a Gibson Ripper bass.. although did record 1 track off of bleach with a thunderbird
The Grabber ain't all that bad. It's just not produced anymore. I know of a bunch of bands that use Grabbers.

The Receiving End Of Sirens, for one.
You Are Correct, He Also Played A Lot Of T Bird,i Have Tons Of Pictures And Footage Of Him Playing Both
Quote by dmiwshicldply
yea i was talkin about basses, i knew gibson guitars were great... (preferably a tele)

Tell that to my friend who had to have the frets on his £1500 Les Paul Dressed localy.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Sly Taco
I've seen pics of him playin a RD artist series also.

Yeah, he was probably mistaking that for the T-bird. I'd quite like a RD bass, not so much the rest of Gibsons basses.
Even though the RD's electronics were more acceptable (if not the most confusing layout EVER), it was the worst balancing bass Gibson ever made. And it was all maple, so it weighed a ridiculous amout for an instrument that size.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Imbred Man

what.... What.... WHAT!!!???
It's an electric bass you (Insert bad word here) __________. It was designed to be a portable Upright bass, not even related to the guitar! Hence why a 6-string bass is tuned BEADGC! That's all fourths you ________. As opposed to guitars being tuned EADGBE. Larry Tutmac (Tutmark, Tut something or another) made the "Electric Bass Fiddle" the first electric bass the was played like a guitar. Did that title say Bass guitar? NO! It said Electric Bass Fiddle! And after awhile the Fiddle part was dropped outta the name. And also, the Upright bass was here way before guitars where, so why didn't we call them "Smaller, octave higher, with more strings Bass" That's the same logic to name that as it is to say Bass Guitar. An Electric Bass is an electric version of the Double Bass, not a bass version of the guitar.

Sorry for the ranting, but I think everyone should be informed. So if you still call it a bass guitar you're stupid, not ignorant.

Also, I'm still trying to get the name changed to Electric Bass instead of Bass Guitar. Though that is a battle Rankles will not let me win.
Page 1 of 2