Just wondering what would be better to get for my valveking to tighten up its sound on the lead channel and give it a little more gain, i was thinking either: a) Tubescreamer, b) Eminence Man O' War speakers, or c) complete retubing of the amp with JJ's and Tung-Sols. Dont wanna spend more then $300 but if needed will spend more. Would also just like to just mod with one option but using two or more of the options if have to. Thanks
Welll... I usually keep my gain rolled off, but when I really want to get uber distortion. I use the gain on 7-8, boost switch, texture on AB and a Tube screamer.
Pretty nice.

New tubes wouldn't hurt.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i just got a silver dragon distortion pedal. i have yet to play a tube screamer through the vk though, but i guess it really depends if youre going for a really metal sound or just hard rock.
If you want, I'll record a track for you with the set up listed above. You'll have to excuse the fact I don't play heavy metal outside of Sabbath though.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Fulltone OCD + some smart EQ'ing could get you there.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
Don't under estimate the capacity of new speakers. New speakers tailored to your style will be a great improvement compared to the mediorce stock speakers in Valveking. If you want a tight metal tone and fell, you can get it with a speaker change so that is the corse of action I recommend.
12 fret fury
ya thats what i was originally thinkin was speaker replacement to get rid of the muddy sound on the lead channel and maybe buyin a ts9 to get a little more gain and to tighten it up, didnt want do all tube change until later, so will the man o' wars be good speakers for the valveking or should another brand be used?
The best would seriously be a tubescreamer

If you back off on the gain a little bit, and use the ts9 to boost the gain and sound during leads, it will work perfectly

EDIT:

Also, cranking it wont hurt at all
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
well ive had it about a month now? not sure but never thought about the speakers breaking in, it was a floor model but not sure if it was played enough like that to break in the speakers, ya thats what ill probably end up doin gettin the ts9, dude crankin it is like welcoming hearing damage
Quote by yocomobebes
dude crankin it is like welcoming hearing damage

So arent you glad you didnt buy that half stack?

(not talking to you, just all those noobs)
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
alright decided on what i need gonna get a danelectro fish n chips and an overdrive pedal, thou not sure would a tubescreamer through the lead channel get a nice metal distortion, like trivium or slayer? or even early metallica?
If you wanna have a tube screamer + heavy metal distortion. Try the DF-7. The pedal in my sig.
I does a tubscreamer. pro-co rat, metal muff, heavy metal big muff, and a couple others.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
If you wanna have a tube screamer + heavy metal distortion. Try the DF-7. The pedal in my sig.
I does a tubscreamer. pro-co rat, metal muff, heavy metal big muff, and a couple others.

Im going a bit off topic but with the VK distortion and a 6 band MXR EQ do you think I could get this tone?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by yocomobebes
alright decided on what i need gonna get a danelectro fish n chips and an overdrive pedal, thou not sure would a tubescreamer through the lead channel get a nice metal distortion, like trivium or slayer? or even early metallica?

If you don't want to break the bank and want to just give having an OD a shot the Bad Monkey is a great little pedal.

Look up the Ultimate Valveking thread, bunch of people have posted settings in there. I found one that gave me the exact tone I was going for.

If you back off on the gain a little bit, and use the ts9 to boost the gain and sound during leads, it will work perfectly

This. I play with the gain on about 3 with the boost on and then use the OD to knock up a bit for leads. Sounds lovely.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Quote by yocomobebes

I could get slayer and metallica without an OD or EQ.
If I were you I would totally retube it and get an OD. The OD should have enough EQ control with the amp to do any tone you want. New speakers might help because the stock speakers are pretty poor. With all that done you will have an amazing sounding amp IMO.
I would suggest taking the gain back a little, those sovteks in there are very loud tubes and countering that with less gain will tighten up your sound. I had JJ's in it before a blown switch fried them and I noticed that the sound was tighter due to less tube distortion. Unfortunately Peavey put sovteks back in it when they fixed it so i am forced to back off the gain myself(especially with EMG 81's). I also would suggest new speakers. I put celestion 75w in my Valveking 212 and could not be more happy
i use a VK and i used to think the EXACT same thing as you. i put a tubescreamer in front of it and it fixes alll those problems.