I bought a book of bass scales and I have no idea what to do. I mean, I figured that if I just played these scales over and over I would get better at bass. Most of the scales make absolutely no sense. It gives several shapes of each scale and it has all of these dots on the neck on the bottom of each page. The book doesn't explain it very well. Is there any prerequisite to learning this stuff or am I just kind of dumb. Thanks for any help.
Return it? You should have a look at what you buy before you get it
You stole my Overture
prerequisite, and regardless you are still dumb for buying the damn book. Just learn the basic formulas for each scale and you shouldn't need to study anything
DId you by chance buy the Bass Grimoire?

If you did, unless you have some basic theory down, its not incredibly useful in my opinion. Its great as a reference book, but it leaves much to be desired as a practice or bass method book.
in my bass lessons, i just started using "scales, intervals, keys, triads, rhythm, and meter" (a ~$50 textbook) at the recommendation of my teacher. it takes you from the ground up with music theory. if you look at a book of scales and have no idea what's going on, you should probably get that book. if you don't want to spend that kind of money, there are lessons scattered all over the internet that will give you a scattered but existent education.
Yeah that's what I thought. Well how can I learn some basic theory? Are there any websites or stuff like that. It wasn't a lot of money for the book but I still want to eventually be able to use it. Well thanks anyway.
For theory, I would highly recommend the Complete Idiots Guide to Music theory. Despite the title, its a great intro to music theory and is easy to read and not dry in the least.

And for an all round Bass Method book, I always recommend Hal Leonard's Bass Method I - III. In three volumes (which you can buy on amazon in one set for about 20 USD), you'll learn to sight read bass clef, learn some technique and get some basic theory under your belt.
Quote by anarkee
For theory, I would highly recommend the Complete Idiots Guide to Music theory. Despite the title, its a great intro to music theory and is easy to read and not dry in the least.

And for an all round Bass Method book, I always recommend Hal Leonard's Bass Method I - III. In three volumes (which you can buy on amazon in one set for about 20 USD), you'll learn to sight read bass clef, learn some technique and get some basic theory under your belt.

Great, I'll look into it. Thanks a lot!
Also another great source of theory knowledge is the FAQ in the Musician's Talk forum.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.