Hello,

I'm a beginner and I've found that I prefer the Classical Guitar Position much more than the Contemporary Position. Are there any draw backs to playing an electric guitar this way?

Thanks!
Last edited by Classified00 at Jan 28, 2008,
Nothing wrong with that, it's how I play electric all the time while sitting down. It especially helps if you have an odd body shape, like a Flying V.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
its the way ive learned to play since i started, i think it actually is beneficial as it gives you better access to all the frets
that's fine. play however you want, whatever feels good.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
um...what exactly is the classical guitar position?
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Thanks for the quick replies!

It just seems, from looking at videos online, that most people use the Contemporary Position. I gave that a try but when I switched to the Classical Position my playing improved immediately.

Here's an example of the Classical Position:
http://www.learnclassicalguitar.com/how-to-hold-a-guitar.html
Last edited by Classified00 at Jan 28, 2008,
You have to play like that with Vs. I'm playing like that to get used to it before I make my Alexi. Nothing wrong with it. I prefer it actually.
NEW!!! Peavey 6505 (XXX Cab too )
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez Destroyer with EMG-81 and 85
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 112
Roland Cube 20X
Same i can do both, but i find that i play rythm really well sitting down, but when i start soloing i've just gotta stand up and mve around

cheers
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
No drawbacks at all. I mix it up and do both when I'm sitting down practicing for several hours. Whatever makes you comfortable man.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
i would think itd make the transition to standing up a little harder...since the guitar is sort of more to your left, whereas when youre standing its more to the right. thats just my point of view though.
Well I'm forced to with my V, and it does improve your concentration once you get used to it.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
The problem is that if you do it with most strat/lp/xtremeshape solidbody electrics you look like a massive tool, especially if you badly need a haircut and/or are wearing a black band t-shirt.

Just giving y'all the heads up, if it lets you play better by all means do it.
I play classical position all the time, unless I'm sitting in a chair that makes it difficult. I find it easier to hit all the frets and barre chords always seem to ring out better for me. I have yet to find a drawback to it.