Page 1 of 3
I'm used to Pc's and am having trouble adjusting to the mac. I've got a few questions which if answered would help me out A LOT. thanks
1. I can't locate the internet browser, i got here by going search for tutorials sing garage band. where is the internet browser?
2. I' trying to download win rar but am having problems. I dont know how to actually install it. it doesn't know what file type to open the installer with or something?
3. I was trying to install cubase le and that wasnt working either. any suggestions?
4. Can i use my presonus firebox with garage band? if so how?
5.how do i change the background?
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Now get an Ibanez.

You will be the stereotypical Pitter
^This post was probably sarcastic

GO LEAFS GO

Chief Executive Officer of Music Games of THE ULTIMATE-GUITAR GAMING FORCE
Default internet browser is called Safari.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by James_Water2
Now get an Ibanez.

i have an ibanez. do stereotypical pitters have problems with macs?
Quote by JordantheAxe
I'm used to Pc's and am having trouble adjusting to the mac. I've got a few questions which if answered would help me out A LOT. thanks
1. I can't locate the internet browser, i got here by going search for tutorials sing garage band. where is the internet browser?
2. I' trying to download win rar but am having problems. I dont know how to actually install it. it doesn't know what file type to open the installer with or something?
3. I was trying to install cubase le and that wasnt working either. any suggestions?
4. Can i use my presonus firebox with garage band? if so how?
5.how do i change the background?

Get a PC.

Quote by James_Water2
Now get an Ibanez.

Peavey close enough? :p

Anyways, your internet browser should be Safari, located on you Dock at the bottom of the screen. GarageBand is the nice looking hollow-body also located on your dock.

Once you get on Safari, go download Camino, it's a billion times better IMO. Then make sure to get a good REPLACEMENT for WinRAR. Poke around the Apple website for a bit, you should eventually find one.

To change the background, right-click--Change Background.

I'm not sure about your Garageband/Cubase questions, so I'll let someone else handle that.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
I have a pc but macs are better for recording audio. All i do is record and surf the net, which is something i am told macs do better. This isnt a mac vs pc thread though. I just need some help lol.
Quote by NotAGuitarHero
Peavey close enough? :p

Anyways, your internet browser should be Safari, located on you Dock at the bottom of the screen. GarageBand is the nice looking hollow-body also located on your dock.

Once you get on Safari, go download Camino, it's a billion times better IMO. Then make sure to get a good REPLACEMENT for WinRAR. Poke around the Apple website for a bit, you should eventually find one.

To change the background, right-click--Change Background.

I'm not sure about your Garageband/Cubase questions, so I'll let someone else handle that.

thanks, i found the internet browser but right clicking isn't doing anything.
Quote by JordantheAxe
thanks, i found the internet browser but right clicking isn't doing anything.

Ctrl-click, I mean.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Safari is the browser, it should be in your toolbar at the bottom or side of your screen, its icon is a compass.
not sure about the g-band interface stuff your having
, but to change your background, load the photo you want in to iphoto, select the photo, then at the top of the screen should be a drop down titled "share" choose desktop off of that and it should work.
Quote by soulflyV
To operate a mac you need a full frontal lobotomy.

i know, literally they can be that easy to work that you can have a full frontal lobotomy.
1. Safari. Should be in your Applications folder, if you can't find it, search it.
2. I've never had to use winrar, shouldn't stuffit open .rar? Mine does. If not, it should just drag and drop from the DMG (which you have to open first)
3. Usually there's an installation process with big programs like that (does cubase even work with macs? I dunno)
4. Am I right in assuming the firebox is an audio interface? If so, plug it in, and go your garage band prefs (I uninstalled g-band loong ago, so forgive me if I don't make any sense), there should be some audio options, where you can switch your sound card. If it picks up your firebox, you should be able to switch over (which usually takes about a minute to restart the Coreaudio engine)
5.Preferences (little box that looks like a switch in your task bar) => desktop/view/something (I'm not on my mac right now btw) prefs => desktop
Quote by reaume140
yeah get rid of your mac and get a pc.

Grow up
If I met you in real life, you seem like the person I'd punch in the face. Have a nice day
okkkkkkkkk, winrar is for windows, thats why there is the win in front. search google for unrarX and you will find an excellent free un-raring tool.

everything else, just rtfm.

=]

Edit::
Quote by MastaBassist10

3. Usually there's an installation process with big programs like that (does cubase even work with macs? I dunno)

Actually, yeah. Cubase LE came with my Tascam, fully Mac compatible.

=]

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
k thanks for you help. One more question though. If a program is not responding how do i exit it. Ctr Alt Del only works for windows right?
Last edited by JordantheAxe at Jan 28, 2008,
There's a shortcut to force quit applications involving some combination of ctrl, alt, command, and esc...use the spotlight to find shortcuts.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
macs don't have a registry or use drivers so theres usually no instillations its just copying, drag the application to your applications folder

also you can use a microsoft mouse with them, so I'd suggest getting one of those because you're going to want to be right clicking alot

the key to macs is system preferences (click the little apple in the top left) and select system preferences, customize everything the way you want it to be, browse through there and check out all the various options, also if a program is not responding select "force quit" the keyboard way to do this is Command + Option+ Esc

I'm used to study computer science and I have a lot of experience with linux/windows/mac. Macs are great, all those people that are dissing them are using XP or vista which is ironic because both of those are horrible, also they probably have NO time using them, and as far as i'm concerned unless you work with one or own one you you don't really have any background on them, I bet all those pc dudes that just commented would have enjoyed getting garage band for free instead of minesweeper

Yes macs back in the day were pretty horrible but that is not the case anymore,
the ONLY reason I would suggest getting a PC is for gaming, macs are definitely NOT gaming machines
Quote by f1sk
macs don't have a registry or use drivers so theres usually no instillations its just copying, drag the application to your applications folder

also you can use a microsoft mouse with them, so I'd suggest getting one of those because you're going to want to be right clicking alot

the key to macs is system preferences (click the little apple in the top left) and select system preferences, customize everything the way you want it to be, browse through there and check out all the various options, also if a program is not responding select "force quit" the keyboard way to do this is Command + Option+ Esc

I'm used to study computer science and I have a lot of experience with linux/windows/mac. Macs are great, all those people that are dissing them are using XP or vista which is ironic because both of those are horrible, also they probably have NO time using them, and as far as i'm concerned unless you work with one or own one you you don't really have any background on them, I bet all those pc dudes that just commented would have enjoyed getting garage band for free instead of minesweeper

the ONLY reason I would suggest getting a PC is for gaming, macs are definitely NOT gaming machines

Thanks for the help man, all that helps a lot. I knew before i bought it it wasn't a gaming machine, that why i have a ps3 . I've heard so often that its better for creative stuff like audio editing but why is that?
Quote by JordantheAxe
Thanks for the help man, all that helps a lot. I knew before i bought it it wasn't a gaming machine, that why i have a ps3 . I've heard so often that its better for creative stuff like audio editing but why is that?

Because Garage band is great, and free, and because it meshes nicely with itunes and some other mac-ish programs.

For the reccord, when you're downloading something you want to install, you'll need .dmg files, not the .exe files you used with a pc. Always check the extention before you download.

And yea, if I gave a crap about playing games, I'd buy an old xbox or something. And who says mac's can't play games? I play Starcraft on mine, from time to time
Why would you buy a Mac if you don't know **** about it, before spending so much money on one why didn't you test it, because it seems that you never even operated one before buying it.
You sure will need a lot of help after getting a mac!

I'm on a mac right now too.

Go to mac HD, go to applications, find firefox, msn and everything elz in there.
If its not there, just download it.
Your mac should come with atleast firefox or safari for the web browser.

Change the background by going to system preferences (click on the little apple icon on the top left of screen) and then chose "desktop and screensaver". Change background from there.

And mac is a lot different from windows. It'll take you a good while to learn how to use it. SO good luck!

Should have had got a PC and be able to play games! :p
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by MastaBassist10

Grow up
If I met you in real life, you seem like the person I'd punch in the face. Have a nice day

You'd punch someone because they didn't like your computer? You must be a Mac user...buncha fascists.

I saw someone the other day with a vanity license plate that read, "Mac OSX". WTF?

You'd never see a PC user with a license plate "WIN XP PRO". Want to know why? Because it's a damn computer, not a social movement, political statement, or conversation piece. Now you grow the fuck up.
Quote by f1sk

Macs ARE gaming machines. Heard of the MBP? Runs Vista better than any other "PC".

It's called running Windows. You said Macs, you didn't say OSX. MBP and Mac Pro are perfectly fine for gaming.
Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Quote by denizenz

You'd punch someone because they didn't like your computer? You must be a Mac user...buncha fascists.

I saw someone the other day with a vanity license plate that read, "Mac OSX". WTF?

You'd never see a PC user with a license plate "WIN XP PRO". Want to know why? Because it's a damn computer, not a social movement, political statement, or conversation piece. Now you grow the fuck up.

If you saw someone with a license plate ILVGUITR, would you freak out? It's just a guitar. Just like OSX is an operating system. They're just things. I'd rather have something that makes me enthusiastic than something that's just, meh.

That said, I don't have a Mac.
don't worry TS, you're going to like a lot of things about your computer once you play around with it a bit. just don't turn into a mac asshole, telling everyone how great macs are just because you can do some recording and image editing.
Quote by razorback_al_31
Firstly, throw your mac out the window. Secondly, go buy a really computer. Problems solved

A really computer. Maybe you should really learn to type before making pointless comments
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
don't worry TS, you're going to like a lot of things about your computer once you play around with it a bit. just don't turn into a mac asshole, telling everyone how great macs are just because you can do some recording and image editing.

+1
Quote by Fishyesque
If you saw someone with a license plate ILVGUITR, would you freak out? It's just a guitar. Just like OSX is an operating system. They're just things. I'd rather have something that makes me enthusiastic than something that's just, meh.

That said, I don't have a Mac.

Loving and playing the guitar is sort of a social movement...more so than a computer O/S. It can also be political and may tell people that you're proud of your musical talent.

The only thing the license plate "Mac OSX" tells people about you is that you're white and nerdy or shallow enough to get jazzed about a piece of office equipment.
Last edited by denizenz at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by denizenz
Loving and playing the guitar is sort of a social movement...more so than a computer O/S. It can also be political and may tell people that you're proud of your musical talent.

The only thing the license plate "Mac OSX" tells people about you is that you're white and nerdy or shallow enough to get jazzes about a piece of office equipment.

Yeah, that's definitely crossing the line. Obviously.
Quote by Donaldguitar
How are Mac's better for audio editing? Everything I've heard has suggested otherwise...

The main reason people say that is because of the software that comes with each Mac.
Quote by denizenz
About a decade ago they were better...the industry and propaganda haven't caught up yet.

I was just thinking, having your sig be of a bunch of people quoting how "amazing" you are seems just as bad as having OSX on a license plate

ahh, just kidding.
Page 1 of 3