Which do you think is the most important for the first upgrade from your original setup? I 'm still using the same amp and guitar that i got 3.5 years ago. What do you think I should upgrade first?

I'm using a squier standard strat hss
and apparently a used marshall mg 15 ( just found out yesterday)
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on
In short:

Try that guitar out through different amps (take it to the shop with you if you don't think they'll have one)

Try that amp out with different guitars (likewise...)

Now which do you prefer tonewise? Playability-wise? General intuition-wise?

Have fun, good luck.

Edit: Impartiality aside though, given the amp is an MG and they're the spawn of satan and a Line6 Spider, my personal opinion is to get a new amp.
Amp.
Amp.

ampampampampampampampamp.

Amp.

You should replace your amp first.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Definately the amp first.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
amp= 90% of tone
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
amp= 90% of tone

Actually, most people would tend to agree on 65-75%. Or at least that's what I learnt a few years ago...
I'll pile on and say, "amp first!" too.

General rule of thumb: A crappy guitar thru a quality amp will sound better than a quality guitar thru a crappy amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Id go with amp. BUT marshall amps are pretty good overall so it would depend on the size and controls and features. so if its a tini-tiny amp with a whole lotta feedback and no tones and everything, go with a amp, otherwise, guitar
amp my man a amp!
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
definately get a new amp before you get a new guitar because if you get a good guitar and your playing on a ****ty amp your gunna get a ****ty sound and also if you get a good amp you'll get some good sounds with your squier.

Quote by 5kills
Id go with amp. BUT marshall amps are pretty good overall so it would depend on the size and controls and features. so if its a tini-tiny amp with a whole lotta feedback and no tones and everything, go with a amp, otherwise, guitar

the mg series sux ,just because it has the marshall name doesn't mean it's good whether its a tiny amp or not.
Quote by Themann810
whenever im about to bang a chick she turns into a guy WTF why does this happen
Last edited by ampzz525 at Jan 28, 2008,
Thanks guys now I only need to narrow down my choices and find "the one". Theres a thread for amps right? haven't checked yet
whats your price range?
Quote by Themann810
whenever im about to bang a chick she turns into a guy WTF why does this happen
Quote by fenderuser93
Thanks guys now I only need to narrow down my choices and find "the one". Theres a thread for amps right? haven't checked yet

There is but you might as well get some help in here while there is this thread going.

I'll ask again, how much do you have to spend?
yeah I agree, while it may be tempting as hell to get a new guitar you will be glad you got a new amp first, i just got my first one, a mesa boogie mark IV and I'm loving it, but it suits the style I play and the sound I was looking for

congrats on your new amp ahead of time whatever it turns out to be
Amp. A new guitar is tempting, but a new amp will work wonders. Today I was playing my ****ty $200 Ibanez GSA through my XXX, and it sounded great. A lot better than say my S470 through an MG.
Quote by TJM2482
Amp. A new guitar is tempting, but a new amp will work wonders. Today I was playing my ****ty $200 Ibanez GSA through my XXX, and it sounded great. A lot better than say my S470 through an MG.

Off topic, hows the XXX?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by sirlimecat
Off topic, hows the XXX?
Pretty good, PM me if you have any questions about it
Well if you hate your guitar and it makes you not want to play then guitar.

but if not, get a new amp ALL THE WAY!
price range well I'm saving up for it and I'll probably get it in the middle of the summer after I start getting paid so probably $400-$500 but, I'm planning to invest some so it'll turn into more but lets say around $400 I play a lot of chili peppers, Clapon, I like blues, rock, funk, and a lot of others but I'm NOT big on metal. Any ideas?
well id say amp in general but if you had a particularly bad guitar to start with you might be better off with a new one.
I have an squier and I love it. Some people say that I'm not doing the right thing but I'm putting an Invader Seymour Duncan in bridge position and I'm buying a Peavey 112 then.
so...yea...mg's suck. Buy an amp first
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Amp, especially with the amp you have at the moment, the squire could sound alright through a decent amp, but Please make sure you are actually UPGRADING not just buying a bigger more expensive amp. If you want help choosing a better amp then we can suggest amps depending on budget and genre that you play etc.
Quote by sirlimecat
amp= 90% of tone
I'm waiting for someone to quote this guy and say "tone is in the fingers". Bollocks.

Yep, amp.
These go to eleven...
Quote by fenderuser93
price range well I'm saving up for it and I'll probably get it in the middle of the summer after I start getting paid so probably $400-$500 but, I'm planning to invest some so it'll turn into more but lets say around $400 I play a lot of chili peppers, Clapon, I like blues, rock, funk, and a lot of others but I'm NOT big on metal. Any ideas?

You want one for gigging or just for practice?
If you arent just a bedroom practice, I throw in a suggestion of a used Peavey Classic 30, great little amp, it has great cleans (although not glassy like a fender, more warm and dark), real nice OD (a surprising amount, can probably get to hard rock gain levels without a boost) which will cover pretty much cover blues and rock without breaking a sweat.

Put a nice OD pedal in front of it for extra boost during soloes or for when you just want to get real heavy for fun, it will sound great.

Be warned though, 30 watts of tube is very loud and will probably be way too much wattage for just home practice, so unless you are practicing with a drummer or gigging there will probably be better home-options.
Consider that it's far easier to improve a subpar guitar than a subpar amp. A fret dressing, new pickups and new hardware may cost more than guitar itself, but will go a long way toward improving your overall sound while still costing far less than a new guitar.

At this point the amp you have is one that offers no degree of potential improvement. It's definitely a "replace" scenario and replacement can run anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. It seems to me that the amp will be the better investment at this point.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
definately an amp. I'm playing an Hohner LX90 through a Marshall AVT150 and it sounds fantastic. I use it for practising and jamming.

offtopic, I plan to buy an Gibson Les Paul, or an Epiphone at least, but those are hard to find here in Croatia for an reasonable price and in good condition...
Quote by slatsmania
I'll pile on and say, "amp first!" too.

General rule of thumb: A crappy guitar thru a quality amp will sound better than a quality guitar thru a crappy amp.

agreed.

however, considering both are presumably of starter quality, you could make a case for trying to upgrade both. but if you're tied to only upgrading one, i say amp, as long as your guitar is playable and you don't utterly hate it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my guitar is definitely playable in fact I like it, we've been through a lot together. Right now people have me swayed towards the blues junior and I'll probably make my own tubescreamer somewhere along the lines (I'm into that sort of thing) any other suggestions?
Dude. My G-400 actually gets a half decent metal tone out of this **** amp. Guitars can play a pretty big role.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
^ true, but amps generally play a bigger role.

Quote by fenderuser93
my guitar is definitely playable in fact I like it, we've been through a lot together. Right now people have me swayed towards the blues junior and I'll probably make my own tubescreamer somewhere along the lines (I'm into that sort of thing) any other suggestions?

if that's the case i'd get a new amp. what type of music do you play? and how much money are you thinking of spending?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
amp. my guitar teacher always says "80% of the tone comes from the amp, 20% from the guitar"