Page 1 of 2
Hi all,
A quick question for the wonderful wonderful bass players here..a friend of mine is willing to sell me his Musicman SUB (it's got maybe 4 years on it), because he bought the 24 fret Fender Jazz thinger recently and it's treating him well. I have played the SUB a few times and i am pretty into it(besides the maroon color..ugh!), however, I was wondering..

1. Battery life - How long? Is it gonna die on me on stage?!
2. Amp - Mine isn't fabulous! Will a regular old Crate BT50 make a nicer style bass like the SUB not as 'useful', per se?
3. Discontinued - Why is it? I know it was sort of a step downer stingray, but why doesn't MF sell one anymore?
4. Soundclips - can anybody provide any?

I know one of the mods, UTBdan used to have one (i remember before he was a mod...i've been on this site since 2004, jesus!(i had a dif screen name that stopped working haha)) Anyway, any reviews, or answers to the questions above, or general comments about it would be great!

You are all wonderful people.

Ringo
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
The sub is a nice bass, you're right, its a step down from the Stringray, and it isn't up to that quality, but for the price it was at, its great. No considering he's used it a bunch, i'm guessing you're getting a pretty good deal on, which is even better.

The batteries: don't worry about these, unless you're getting one with the 2 band EQ, the SUB has Passive Pickups, aka: No Battery. If you are though, the battery will last months and months as long as you don't leave the bass plugged in. So check to see if it has the 2 band EQ with you friend, if not no worries.

The amp: most people wold suggest getting a new amp before a new bass, but since you've been provided a good opportunity, i'd say go for the bass. The amp will make a world of a difference when you get a nice one later on.

And i'm not really sure why it was discontinued, or if there are any sound clips, so someone else can help you with that.
Last edited by Zar938 at Jan 28, 2008,
1) If I'm not mistaken the SUBs are the passive version of the Musicmen aren't they? I'm not really sure on this though. As for battery life, you can expect to have 6-12 months of battery time as long as you don't leave it plugged in for extended periods of time. It's pretty unlikely it'll die on stage, however it might start to die which leaves an undesirable tone. Usually basses start to die 6 or so hours before they totally die. If you're worried about it, carry a spare. THEY'RE A DOLLAR

2) Your amp's very average and while it won't do the bass full justice it probably won't do it any detriments

3) I'm not sure why they did it. I'm around 80% sure it was because they didn't sell well and the rest of the 20% is they weren't cost effective. Those are the 2 reasons for cancelling a product usually.

4) Nope.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) If I'm not mistaken the SUBs are the passive version of the Musicmen aren't they? I'm not really sure on this though. As for battery life, you can expect to have 6-12 months of battery time as long as you don't leave it plugged in for extended periods of time. It's pretty unlikely it'll die on stage, however it might start to die which leaves an undesirable tone. Usually basses start to die 6 or so hours before they totally die. If you're worried about it, carry a spare. THEY'RE A DOLLAR

2) Your amp's very average and while it won't do the bass full justice it probably won't do it any detriments

3) I'm not sure why they did it. I'm around 80% sure it was because they didn't sell well and the rest of the 20% is they weren't cost effective. Those are the 2 reasons for cancelling a product usually.

4) Nope.

SUBs were both active and passive.

I would agree to upgrade your amp

One of the reason's they stopped making the SUBs was the rise of the OLP licensed copy of the EBMM basses. It was economics pure and simple.

I tried to try one once in a local shop (whose sales folks sold me my EBMM FL), and they refused to let me even try it. They were quite adamant about it not being worth the effort if you have played an Musicman. However what I've heard they are better than the OLPs by far.

Also EB seemed to release those SUBs in the most god-awful colours; the maroon colour you mentioned was one of the more blatant examples. The maroon one I tried to play is still sitting at the local shop as we speak.
Normally I would say a new amp, but if you have a starter bass and amp then, with this opportunity, I'd go with the bass. It's probably easily on par with an MIM jazz or P, the standard upgrade basses.
It's a Musicman bass - go for it, best bass move I ever made, buying a Musicman. Unless your friend is blatantly scamming you, just buy the bass fro him, and then save up for an amp - you won't regret it, the SUB's a great bass.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Quote by anarkee

One of the reason's they stopped making the SUBs was the rise of the OLP licensed copy of the EBMM basses. It was economics pure and simple.

I heard on the grapevine that Musicman hae not renewed OLP's licence to make MM copies anymore. It seems that maybe Musicman may be going the way of Rickenbacker, and put all their eggs on the upper end of the market, unless they've got a budget range up their sleeves.
there is a sub sitting the one of my local music stores in brisbane, so this is i guess a testament to their probably low selling rate (ive also noticed that people are selling them on ebay for the equivelent of new prices, apparently they have become rare with the discontinue??) I tried it out a couple of days ago and although i have a pretty strong dislike towards music man basses, this is a very good reproduction of the stringray. Alot of people i know have likened it to the highway one series in the fender line of products. Overall, depending on what offer you are getting, i would suggesting picking it up.
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by anarkee
Which does beg the question to the TS--what bass are you playing now?

Squier standard jazz.

...thaat's right. and i've been playing it since SEVENTH GRADE. This is much needed. I know I ought to buy a new amp, but gigs are few and far between for me so I don't need a huge amount of power.

As for my friend scamming me, you don't have to worry about that...anyone know how much these sold for new/on Ebay?

Thanks a ton btw
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
For sound clips of a SUB. you can watch this video.

If your asking for sound clips, why don't you just ask your friend if you can try it out before you buy?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
How much is he selling it to you for? eBay probably won't be that much cheaper. I find buying used on eBay always costs more.
Quote by anarkee
SUBs were both active and passive.

I would agree to upgrade your amp .

+101%, the best bass will sound as bad as the cheapest through a toy amp.
Whereas a cheap bass will sound tons better through good/decnt amp.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
+101%, the best bass will sound as bad as the cheapest through a toy amp.
Whereas a cheap bass will sound tons better through good/decnt amp.

My Fender and Warwick sound amazing through my Rumble 15, and my $100 8-string like shte through my stack... but I agree, you should get a good amp before upgrading your bass.

THAT SAID:

I think your amp, threadstarter, isn't the worst in the world, and your amp is much better than your bass is. Playing a Squier through an SVT4PRO will still be depressing. Playing a SUB through the Crate seems about right.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by fleajr_1412
For sound clips of a SUB. you can watch this video.

If your asking for sound clips, why don't you just ask your friend if you can try it out before you buy?

oh yeah i have tried it several times but i just can't go to his place daily so i was hoping someone could help. thanks for the link!

Regarding the price, it's gonna be somewhere in the neighborhood of 250-300 dollars with other stuff included, which i think is fair. I am, however, looking into a replacement pickguard and i'm gonna get my friend to paint it up a bit (i'll show anyone who is interested some of her work, it's genius) b/c I realllly dislike the color!

Thanks for the help with amps. The only issue i have there is that i don't have enough money at the moment to purchase a solid functional amp that is enough of a step up from my current 50 watt Crate, which I have no problems with. Thanks again for all your help, additional opinions are always welcome.
Quote by skater dan0
If you're saying you can get a SUB for $250-$300, jump on it. No $250-$300 amp will make a difference. I think people throw the old "get an amp first" a bit too liberally.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
If you're saying you can get a SUB for $250-$300, jump on it. No $250-$300 amp will make a difference. I think people throw the old "get an amp first" a bit too liberally.

Listen to him. Unless you're getting a GOOD amp (which you won't for that price), go with the bass, especially one of that caliber. You're getting it for a great price.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Ok for that price you are getting a SUB for the price of an OLP. While its MM > SUB > OLP, a SUB is much closer in quality to an MM than an OLP is to a SUB. This is one of those cases where opportunity knocks and you should open the door with both hands, and one of them palming some cash. And you will get a decent upgrade from your current bass.

Thanks for the additional info, it made things a bit more clear!
Damn, you guys are swell, I knew I could count on this place. I probably will not be able to pick up the bass for a short while (the fellow selling it is in college at the moment) but my name is on it and I'm good to go. Thanks so much for your help, recordings and photos etc will be up ASAP!

happy bassing

ringo
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by TagRingo
Damn, you guys are swell, I knew I could count on this place. I probably will not be able to pick up the bass for a short while (the fellow selling it is in college at the moment) but my name is on it and I'm good to go. Thanks so much for your help, recordings and photos etc will be up ASAP!

happy bassing

ringo

Ringoooooooooooo.... RINGOOOOOOOOO *key change*

I can guarantee nobody will understand what I just said.

Yeah, good luck - and you might not like the colour-texture, but it could grow on you - give it time before doing anything crazy!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz

Yeah, good luck - and you might not like the colour-texture, but it could grow on you - give it time before doing anything crazy!

Fitz, is that a spaghetti western reference perhaps?

And to the TS--good luck with the new bass and yes, pictures and sound clips would be great!
Quote by anarkee
Fitz, is that a spaghetti western reference perhaps?

And to the TS--good luck with the new bass and yes, pictures and sound clips would be great!

Lorne Green.

Ringo.

YouTube.

Wow.

/shamespam
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Ok fitz you win. But honestly there are somethings from my tender childhood I have blocked out. This is one of them. Now dammit, I have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the evening...
Quote by thefitz

Sound advice, for sure. I'll have plenty of time to think about it, no worries.

The squier, however, is gonna be heavily modded, mark my words...the finish is actually quite appealing (they call it 'walnut satin') and i like the black pickguard, so it's got potential. But that's another story!

EDIT: NO HUMAN BEING COULD MATCH THE DRAW OF RINGO

...ringoooooooooo

my name is ringo b/c my friends call me that b/c i fell down the stairs once as a young'n and got two nice shiny back eyes. ringo.
Quote by skater dan0
Last edited by TagRingo at Jan 29, 2008,
Hi! It's been so long since I made this post and a LOT has changed.

I didn't buy the SUB. Upon closer inspection it simply wasn't the bass for me. It's an AMAZING instrument, as we all know, but I just wasn't feeling it, so I knew I couldn't buy it.

More recently, I came into quite a bit of money. i have been frequenting my music stores and finally, finally, finally bought my new bass. Behold...

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

It's a Fender Highway 1 Precision, the old style kind (yes, I bought a BadAss II!). I whittled the store down to around 650 dollars, and they threw in some accessories for it as well as discounting my Leo Quan bridge replacement. I honestly could not be happier. I played that trusty old Squier for four years and it did it's job, but this bass is opening up whole new worlds for my playing. The tone is exquisite, I LOVE the finish and the neck just feels perfect. Nothing better than hitting the 'new bass' right on the mark.

Thanks to everyone who initially helped me with the SUB dilemma, you are always appreciated.

You all rock.

a very content Ringo
Quote by skater dan0
Is that White Blonde? Nice one. I'm gonna buy an HW1 fretless Jazz as soon as they make it!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Why don't you just de-fret a normal jazz?

And whatever happened to that fretless Thumb?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I loved my SUB. I traded it for a better amp head when I got my Bongo..
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by thefitz
Is that White Blonde? Nice one. I'm gonna buy an HW1 fretless Jazz as soon as they make it!

nope, Daphne Blue. it's discontinued, sooo glad I found one. HW1 fretless jazz, my old guitar teacher made one and it was AWESOME, good luck
Quote by skater dan0
are you happy with your highway 1? I was going to get one... but then they raised the price. I feel my Bongo covers all the active sounds but very few things other than a p-bass can sound like a p-bass, you know?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
^I honestly could NOT be happier...the price raise put me off too, but I snagged this one for 660, which is substantially cheaper than the retail. I can't imagine going wrong with a Bongo for active, those things are amazing, but the P bass is phenomenal, playing it is so reminiscent of all the greats, it's remarkably versatile. I'd be happy to maybe post some soundclips, etc if you/anyone was interested. On a slightly related note, can you differentiate the Bongo and a regular Stingray for me?
Quote by skater dan0
Nice score on the HWY1! I have one from the same series, mine is sunburst. Unfortunately now that you've been exposed to that INCREDIBLE neck, you'll never like another bass as much as your HWY1. I've modded mine heavily, you can check it out here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=862691

Enjoy it!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by UtBDan
are you happy with your highway 1? I was going to get one... but then they raised the price. I feel my Bongo covers all the active sounds but very few things other than a p-bass can sound like a p-bass, you know?

I'm sure if you were to purchase a HW1 you'd love it, but if you could hold out a bit for a USA Standard, you wouldn't regret it one bit. The necks, with their reinforced skullduggery, just feel incredible. You'll hold it and think "man, this is solid". Plus, you can get a maple fingerboard too, if that's your thing. But HW1's are still class... waiting for that fretless!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I'm sure if you were to purchase a HW1 you'd love it, but if you could hold out a bit for a USA Standard, you wouldn't regret it one bit. The necks, with their reinforced skullduggery, just feel incredible. You'll hold it and think "man, this is solid". Plus, you can get a maple fingerboard too, if that's your thing. But HW1's are still class... waiting for that fretless!

Is this a scheduled release or you just holding out for one? It sounds awesome.
Quote by skater dan0
He means to save up for a bit longer, or so I believe. The USA standard series is probably the oldest Fender have.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^i'm talking about a fretless Highway 1, are they really in development or is that just a hopeful speculation.
Quote by skater dan0
Fretless Highway Ones are little more than figments of my imagination.

Although I just can't imagine why they don't make them in fretless.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by TagRingo
^I honestly could NOT be happier...the price raise put me off too, but I snagged this one for 660, which is substantially cheaper than the retail. I can't imagine going wrong with a Bongo for active, those things are amazing, but the P bass is phenomenal, playing it is so reminiscent of all the greats, it's remarkably versatile. I'd be happy to maybe post some soundclips, etc if you/anyone was interested. On a slightly related note, can you differentiate the Bongo and a regular Stingray for me?

if you go to bovinehost's website there's a history of it, or even my BOTM on it linked to it.

Basically, MusicMan was working on a new kinda pick up, an neodymium magnetic pickup that was going to be extra-powerful and tone-changing (and so, let it be.)
however, because of the nature of it being an entirely different pickup (despite being a humbucker), they wanted an entirely new kind of design to be used.
they had the BMW design team design it.

</ story >
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Yes--if you check EBs site they are most definitely discontinued. They're not even listed on their site anymore.

But there appears to be a decent amount of stock still floating about. My local shop has had one (in a really nasty colour) for about a year now.
Page 1 of 2