Been looking around for while trying to find a good head for metal that I would most likely be running through a marshall cab. Looking for something in the 1500-2000 range. Any suggestions?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
5150 seems to be the favorite for that
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
you have a lot of options for that much.

both the Mesa Mark IV and rectifier series would be great. i love both.
i've been hearing great things about the new kranks, the rev 1+ and the krankenstein +
ENGL are fantastic amps for metal, extremely versatile too. check out clips at www.rocksolidamps.com
they also have various other brands like splawn and framus, which would also be very good.

can you narrow down what sound you want at all? have you tried any of the amps mentioned? what did you like? what didn't you like?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by which ones pink
What kind of metal? You need to be a little more specific with what tones you want. Also what country do you live in?

I play mostly heavy stuff compared to bands like in flames, arch enemy, COB, that kin of stuff. I live in the US.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by parkerfly123
engl powerball

end of story

He said something under 2 grand... Not something to cream over in his dreams!

I would go check out the Peavey JSX or the 6150+... Or Randall if you want chunk.
DO NOT GO KRANK!!! GAYEST OVER PRICED AMP OUT IN THE MARKET!

Thats all I have to say
From a guy named Mike
Originally posted by justinhawkins

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm
No love for Mesa in this thread???
::leaves disappointed::
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by .N30C0N.

I would go check out the Peavey JSX or the 6150+... Or Randall if you want chunk.

Thats all I have to say

powerballs are 1999... its JUST IN his price range :P

but the 5150 is a pretty good choice as well... that is, if you could care less for good cleans.

or you can always just go ahead and get a dual rectifier like everyone else
I tried the JSX, and liked it alot. I like the price too. Sounds like I should be going to guitar center soon to test some of these.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
if you wanna be creative, get an orange rockerverb and a compression and eq pedal
haha, that would be interesting
i would actually suggest an orange, then take it in and have it rewired for about 100-200 bucks tops, i did it and it sounded amazong for high gain metal and stuff sorta like august burns red.
in flames uses 5150/6505s
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by .N30C0N.

Thats all I have to say

You've obviously never seen how amazingly cheap Kranks sell for used.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by .N30C0N.

Thats all I have to say

engl powerball is $1,800 from rocksolidamps.com

if you have two grand to spend, steer clear of the JSX, you can do much better. a 5150 or 6505 you could get for under $800 used. if it's for you, the 5150 is for you, but i'd check out other amps first.

and krank are hardly gay. go to erock503's profile, and tell me his mp3's sound "gay."

Quote by parkerfly123
in flames... children of bodom.... you need an engl

no, ENGL are typically pretty brightly voiced, inflames and bodom generally have a darker sound.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
framus cobra if you can find one used. that would be your best choice. 5150's are pretty cheap used too i got my 5150 II for $700 but like someone above said the cleans arent that great
Current Setup

Schecter Blackjack C7
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMG 81/85
Peavey 5150II Head
Peavey 6505 Cab w/ two Eminence Texas Heat
Epi PR5-e
Hot Rod Deluxe
I've heard sound clips of a 6505 running though a marshall 1960 cab, and it..well it just sounds magical. So i'll go try that at guitar center sometime this week. Does anybody know if guitar stocks ENGL heads? They seem to be a trend in the responses.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
guitar center wont have an engl head most likely but they will probably special order one if you really want it
Current Setup

Schecter Blackjack C7
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMG 81/85
Peavey 5150II Head
Peavey 6505 Cab w/ two Eminence Texas Heat
Epi PR5-e
Hot Rod Deluxe
Is the 6505 "plus" really worth the extra money for another preamp?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
+1

Framus Cobra f*cking PWNS the F*CK out of all others. Also pwns on price, too, though ($3,200 USD). Never heard a Mako (he's in L.A., I should stop by someday). If it sounds like a Soldano, the Framus still f*cking PWNS. Although, I do own a 6505, and I'm pretty damned happy with it. Sort of the poor man's Cobra.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

5150 are a great head, and yes cleans arent great, MF350 is a pretty good unit to. IMO
Originally Posted by ibanez_guru
ARE YOU TONE ******ED??????

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
Quote by gpderek09
you have a lot of options for that much.

+1

even some boutique amps fit under that price range, considering you already have a cab. basically try as many things as you can.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As someone else said, In Flames uses and Arch Enemy has used the 5150, so if you want to sound like them, it's the way to go. With a budget like that though, you can get something better.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Nephalimrising
ENGL fireball

Great overdrive, but bad cleans IMO.

At least the channel switching is not designed too well, since you can't switch between completely clean and full gain. Its either very clean -> less gain, or Lots of gain -> slightly breaking up. Having said that though, they still sound awesome.
GC can scan their stores and find you a used one. The one in Memphis has 2 I think in stock. I looked at them but never played them.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah