is it possible to download games for ps2 or xbox (or copy rented ones) and put them on an external hard drive and play them off of that? just wondering if the usb on them would work that way. thanks for any input
I'm so sorry, excuse me for living,
I didn't know, didn't know your a psycho!
-Carolines Spine "Psycho"
I believe there is some illegal hardware ( modchips ) that you can attach to the motherboard of your system that will give an output to an external harddrive. Note that it's HIGHLY illegal, and you will NOT be able to use live/network play services with it installed. It can get really complicated and mess up your system, and you may need lots of preliminary electronics knowledge. Also, lots of soldering, in most cases. Lots.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
i know you can get software mods for psp's so you can save games onto a memory stick, should be able to do the same for the ps2/xbox for the harddrive, but im not for sure
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5
i know you can get software mods for psp's so you can save games onto a memory stick, should be able to do the same for the ps2/xbox for the harddrive, but im not for sure

I'm afraid the larger systems are more heavily protected, and need external hardware modifications.

Also, modchips run anywhere from $50 to $400 USD.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
Yeah, i have one in my xbox... i can just rent games and put them on (not that i do at all). I am not sure about external hard drives though...
Quote by Firequacker
I believe there is some illegal hardware ( modchips ) that you can attach to the motherboard of your system that will give an output to an external harddrive. Note that it's HIGHLY illegal, and you will NOT be able to use live/network play services with it installed. It can get really complicated and mess up your system, and you may need lots of preliminary electronics knowledge. Also, lots of soldering, in most cases. Lots.

The 'fat' older model PS2s have an expansion bay where you can put a hard drive in. You will need software called HDLoader and the PS2 network adapter. Check this guide: http://forum.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1883489

Alternatively, you can get a modchip for around $50. It will allow you to play burned copies of games. It really isn't that difficult to install, basically all it involves is soldering wires from the modchip to the PS2 mobo. Obviously there's inherent risk to rendering your PS2 inoperable if you mess up, but if you aren;t too keen on learning to solder or scared of messing up just get a professional to install it for you. Furthermore, you can still play online (with the PS2), just look up changing the DNAS on Google.
It is possible for Xbox.
I have a heavily modified Xbox, with more added harddrives, chipped, new OS and programs on the xbox that makes it possible to
- Copy games from disc to harddrives
- Use burned games (original configuration don't allow games burned on normal dvds)
- Watch practically every movie file format known to man.
- Play games from past consoles (emulators that is)

But I usually buy games, then put them on the harddrive.
Also I didn't do it myself, my cousin did. It is a pretty expensive affair, as it requires a rather good mod chip among other things.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.