So I finally took the initiative to wire my new EMG 81 & 85 pick-ups into my Ibanez RG2EX2 after reading about it on here and everywhere else. Decided to do this because the local guitar shops around here were going to charge me ~> 70 ~ 140 ~ 170$ to do it and I always here "oooo EMGs are easy to install" blah blah. I also wanted the educational experience and was hoping for a better outcome.

Just wired everything up and theres absolutely no sound. I'm using an ebow on the pick-ups to test.

Followed this diagram ( Even though my switch is different than this )

Here's how it looks:
****ty soldering =/

The battery is brand new, im using the appropriate pots (25k I believe) The only thing that concerned me was that I didnt quite have enough length in the wire to reach some places so I grabbed some wire from radioshack (the kind they recommended to me ) and I noticed it was copper instead of, what seemed to be, nickel wires of before. I dont know anything about wires or metal but the original wires were silver and the Radiocrap stuff was copper colored.

Also since my switch is a little different I wasn't 100% sure how to wire it.

Everyone says EMGs are easy to wire
I feel like an idiot ( TT______TT )
when I did my rg the wiring to the switch was different, I can't really remember what I did and my buddy is borrowing it.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
If you can, you should label what wire is from what in MS paint or something.
To me, it looks like you might have messed up at the switch. Only that middle wire is supposed to be touching two. See how EMG's pic has 2 rows of terminals? Well you have to pretend that they aren't 2 rows, they are one row (put them side by side). I hope that makes sense.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
If you can, you should label what wire is from what in MS paint or something.
To me, it looks like you might have messed up at the switch. Only that middle wire is supposed to be touching two. See how EMG's pic has 2 rows of terminals? Well you have to pretend that they aren't 2 rows, they are one row (put them side by side). I hope that makes sense.

Hm, Im pretty sure I see what you're saying. In the EMG diagram the prongs are labeled 1 - 8 and on the RG switch there's 8 prongs too so I assume they're the same just in 1 row. I should try that.

Also just double checking, the type of wire doesnt matter right? As long as it's conductive? ie: copper vs nickel etc
dude it looks to me like you might have a couple issues, your 85 isn't soldered to the volume pot, i think your 81 is but i'm not sure, can't see if that's it wrapping around the battery and back or not. and like jthm_guitarist said your switch doesn't look right. it looks like there are 8 points on your switch as well so i would try resoldering by the numbers on the diagram with 1 being at the left and 8 at the right, if not try 18273645 starting at the left, i don't really know in that situation but that's my best guess. without having the guitar in front of me it's tough to say but i'm letting you know things that i see, i may be way off who knows hopefully something in this mess of words helps you...
Actually, you're right about the 85 not being on the pot. Thanks for noticing that

Im desoldering everything right now and am going to try again
Quote by SnoopyKojiApple
\
Also just double checking, the type of wire doesnt matter right? As long as it's conductive? ie: copper vs nickel etc

Anyone?
it shouldn't matter. also I noticed the capacitor isn't hooked up to the volume. And the Ibanez switch is 18273645
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Whats with the red wire going from the switch to the back of the pot? And looks like in your pic you have the center hot lead of one of the pickups soldered to the back of the pot but the ground isnt. From the pic doesnt look like either of the pickups braided grounds are soldered to anything. Easiest way to do that is strip the outer coating back and unravel some of the braid so there is enough room to run the center lead to the switch and solder the 2 braids to the back of the pot.