So...im thinking about taking my 198X s10 and putting in a 305 350 or a 355

one question
will the 4 speed that came in my truck work with these motors?
i wanna use this truck as my daily driver but i know its gonna be fast as fuck

if anyone has any insight or knowledge about this swap please let me know
Hook it up with some v67s and a nice 50593 than convert that to a 4837 and run the .exe of the flux capacitor. Double the output, than cut it in half.
i'm already posting in that thread but i need some fast answers
my dad doesnt wanna have to get a new transmission for the truck
if your truck has a 4.3 v6, yes it will bolt up, if it's a 2.8 no it won't bolt up. check out s10forum.com
1954 Gibson ES-140 Hollowbody Tobacco Burst (all original)
1966 Univox UC-2 (Fender Jag Wannabe) Red Burst
2002 Epiphone G-400 Deluxe Flametop Vintage Burst

Peavey Bandit 112 Amp (for sale, PM me for details)
Digitech GSP-7 Processor/Preamp
doy ou know what kind of manual transmission i could use? thanks for the site too!
Go LS1 and bolt on a T56. 350 hp, 6 speed, 30 ish mpg. Done.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
the goal is to make this a cheapish daily driver so my sc doesnt have to take the abuses of winter

plus a v8 s10 would more than likely be faster
Quote by LSC300
the goal is to make this a cheapish daily driver so my sc doesnt have to take the abuses of winter

If you're using a winter car, get a lightweight front wheel drive. Try to stick to smaller engines. Even with my cousins V6 wimpy Camaro, he took it into a pole at 15 mph because some idiot kid ran out in front of him.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by LSC300

Umm... you do not know what an LS1 is, apparently. Research, my friend, research. If you don't know what an LS1 is you need to reconsider your idea of swapping a V8 yourself.

If you want a winter driver, get four-wheel-drive. If you stuff a V8 into an S10 and take it in the snow... well... you should just walk instead. When you push that much power into the rear tires of a vehicle with no weight in the back you're going to get problems. Lots and lots of problems.

Here's what I want you to do. I want you to consider what you are trying to do here, and what you need to get to meet that goal. A V8 s10 as a winter driver doesn't make much sense, it's kinda like buying a dump truck to commute.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
^ 4WD for Snow? My sisters Honda Element sucks in the snow. So does my Mom's Stratus though, and that's front. But, my Honda is awesome in the snow, hard to send out of control.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by CORT noob
^ 4WD for Snow? My sisters Honda Element sucks in the snow. So does my Mom's Stratus though, and that's front. But, my Honda is awesome in the snow, hard to send out of control.

What is wrong with you people?!?

A V8 is better than a LS1, FWD is better than 4WD in snow? Are you guys raised under rocks?

Element sucks in snow because it is AWD, AWD is not good for much other than on road driving. AWD could be better in snow, but it almost never is, with the exception of a few systems, such as Subaru's. FWD is not better than 4WD for inclement conditions. Easier to drive when control is lost, yes, better, not in a long shot. Ice, that changes everything, 4WD on ice is bad.

I guess I shouldn't expect much from a guitar forum when it comes to cars, but come on guys.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX

A V8 is better than a LS1, FWD is better than 4WD in snow? Are you guys raised under rocks?

Element sucks in snow because it is AWD, AWD is not good for much other than on road driving. AWD could be better in snow, but it almost never is, with the exception of a few systems, such as Subaru's. FWD is not better than 4WD for inclement conditions. Easier to drive when control is lost, yes, better, not in a long shot. Ice, that changes everything, 4WD on ice is bad.

I guess I shouldn't expect much from a guitar forum when it comes to cars, but come on guys.

I'm sorry! I just turned 16 and got my car! But, I didn't know it was AWD. But, where there is snow, there is ice so I still recommend FWD
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by AngusX

listen to the angus man. to have an ls1 in your winter car will probably be to much power, shure you can put another v8 there but i think i would be kinda hard to drive without skidding as soon as you turn(the all the weight would be in the front, a v8 is a heavy thing you know). if you want power and driveability(spelling?) go 4x4 that comes with a v8 stock something like a silverado 2500 6.5TD if you want power and not speed or maybe an old ih scout with a 345 or if you want to be really cool...a series 1 landrover
Danelectro '59 DC

Amplitube 3

Aaand my superlux headphones
Quote by AngusX

A V8 is better than a LS1

An LS1 IS a V8
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.

Member #12 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by iplayfenders66
An LS1 IS a V8

im shure he means that the ls1 is superior to a normal 350.

i forgot to say that if you really want to have a v8 s10 you should look for a lt5, its the aluminum DOHC 350 v8 from the corvette ZR-1...it will probably cost more, much more then the s10 but its lightweight and packs some serious power(405hp 522 Nm in the -93 to -95 vetts)
Danelectro '59 DC

Amplitube 3

Aaand my superlux headphones
Last edited by bemoth at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by iplayfenders66
An LS1 IS a V8

Wow, way to take that piece out of context....

To the OP, it doesnt make any sense to put money and time like that into a "winter beater" and there is no reason for the power increase in those conditions. And to everyone who said an LS1 would be a good choice, that motor would cost more than the truck its self, and most likely get him wrapped around a pole...
hey..uh..i dont want this as a winter car? lol

spring is around the corner here in nebraska

i have a winter car!

but i dont want an ls1 because i want something i can find real cheap im not looking for a 6 speed trans i'd rather stick with a 4 or maybe a 5

most of you misinterpereted what i said my apologies
Quote by LSC300
hey..uh..i dont want this as a winter car? lol

spring is around the corner here in nebraska

i have a winter car!

but i dont want an ls1 because i want something i can find real cheap im not looking for a 6 speed trans i'd rather stick with a 4 or maybe a 5

most of you misinterpereted what i said my apologies

Ok, what kind of price are we looking at? There's a lot of options as long as it is a road truck. You could get a V8 and auto 4-speed for $4000 that will basically drop in if you hunt around. If you were willing to go $6000-8000 you could do the LS1 with a 6-speed and you'd be much happier. It really matter of how much money you want to spend.

Easiest swap will be finding an 88-95 GM truck with a 350 and pulling out the engine and trans. Not the most powerful engine, but it will rock that s10, and it is not very expensive.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
its an 82 4 cyl s10 and i plan on building up the motor and trans...like a drag truck ya know?

depending on if my dad wants to help or not probably a 5000 dollar limit

i have a bunch of engine resources and transmission resources
K.

You're gonna want to consider upgrading multiple systems along with the drivetrain. Driving a hopped up S10 that isn't setup to handle that power in any way will make it a pain to drive. Doing burnouts through every gear and getting it sideways at every turn is fun and looks cool the first few times, it sucks when you are trying to drive like a sane person.

That said, here's how I'd budget money. Find a TBI 350 pullout with a 4L60E or a 5-speed, rebuild the engine (provided it has over 130k), build the tranny (not necessary unless you add power, but definately recommended), get a CF driveshaft (you'll probably need a new one, you might as well upgrade to top of the line). You'll want to swap out the ring and pinion, something a little higher, upper 3's would be good, anything lower than 3.2 will give you more low end, but you'll regret it cruising. Upgrade the front springs, add traction bars to the rear, upgrade sways front and rear, and replace bushings.

You'd be pushing towards $5000 with all of that provided you shop around well, you could potentially get it for less if you are really frugal. Keep in mind you have lots of upgrades to consider, cooling is vitally important with V8 swap into an S10, lots of guys don't focus on cooling and they get an engine prone to overheating, and a truck they don't like to drive.

Be careful, and budget everything before you spend a dime, don't just jump into a project unless you have money to keep throwing at it.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by kiennM
Hook it up with some v67s and a nice 50593 than convert that to a 4837 and run the .exe of the flux capacitor. Double the output, than cut it in half.

dude.....your my hero thanks for the laugh