Ok so I'm slowly getting better at playing songs with simple chord progressions.

However, one thing that still to this day I screw up, is the A chord (x0222x).

I essentially have two ways I play it and I bounce back and forth depending on which one pisses me off less.

The first way, the way my best friend plays it, is to scrunch all three fingers in there on the second fret as close as possible in the order that my forefinger is on the d string, my middle on the g and my ring finger is on the b This sounds good if I have about 2 seconds to make the chord, otherwise, my forefinger always ends up too far away and it mutes the d string thus messing up the whole chord.

Second method involves barring with my index finger and lifting off towards the high e string so it is muted. This method is easier for me but can sound more muffled at times.

I read chord charts that suggest I play it like the first way but switching the order of my first and second fingers so it becomes 2,1,3 which seems un-natural as hell to me (i tried it and it doesn't feel right).

So how do you guys play A? And how long did it take you before you stopped messing it up.
i do it the way your friend does it, its not that hard with practice. Well, actually, I often use the E-shape barre chord at the 5th fret.
Use your index finger to bar it, and don't pluck the high e.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
If I'm playing the full A chord, I use 3 fingers because it's easier for me to move into the Asus4 and Asus2 chords as well as hammer on that e note (which I do a lot).

If I'm playing an A5 chord, I just barre the notes with my index finger.

I think it's best to learn to do it with the 3 finger method because it allows for more versatility, should you need it.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I use middle, ring and pinky. Although I only ever use the open A chord when playing Crazy Train
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by RockerPseudonym
I only ever use the open A chord when playing Crazy Train

How many songs do you know?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
^That is a more common voicing. x0222x is still acceptable though.
Quote by GraceKim
If you're having trouble with the open position A chord, then the best advice I can give you is to sell your guitar on Ebay and go buy yourself a flat screen tv.

Don't be a dick.

TS - Keep working at it and one day you'll wonder what the problem was. I use fingers 2,3 and 4 by the way.
Quote by ShaneTKD
isn't an A chord x02220? or is this an alternative??

Yeah, it's infinitely easier to do it this way. If someone wants to do an A easily, just use three fingers and bunch them closer to high E string than A string. That'd make it easier to soft mute high E when you want to.
Weapons of choice-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

i love these threads cos i know how much trouble people are gonna have with all sorts of types of chords in the future

but just keep practicing the chord

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

i play it the first way you said, and it took me a while, but now its really easy to get to
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the cake this morning!

yeah, that's an inside joke. i made it different colors and sizes to be obnoxious...
if you're willing to make a stretch
you can play 002225 or x02225

bar the second frets with your index, and play the fifth fret with your pinky, no muting needed
note. that's just one way of playing an a chord, you might find it easier playing
5776xx or 577655
Quote by Spykerwolf
lol A chord is suppose to be easy man just practise, wait until you learn B and barre chords. Then switching them really fast...

It comes easier to some than others. I'd always assumed musicians encouraged each other but posts like this are changing my assumptions.
Quote by mlfarrell

So how do you guys play A? And how long did it take you before you stopped messing it up.

I struggled to get all my fingers in that tiny space too mate. I was told to just use my index finger to barre across the fret and not hit the high E string but it didn't sound right to me. I just persevered and eventually it worked out.

Trust me, keep at it you'll think back in years to come and wonder how you managed it.
i dont know, using the three finger method isnt very efficient, say you were playing both the harmony and the melody at the same time using that a chord at that space, it would be difficult if not impossible to play the melody only with one pinky whilst holding other fingers static