this is really two questions. I'm thinking of learning more of a funky style on guitar kind along the lines of RHCP, what kind of chords should I be using/learning when playing funk?

and whats a good guitar for funk? I know John Frusiante uses a Strat... can I get a decent funk sound with a guitar with humbuckers? or do I need single coils?...

would you ever try to play funk on a flying V? because right now I have a Flying V and an old Ibanez (also with humbuckers)
in order:

all types of seventh chords

maybe some semihollows? um, jazzmaster, jag, etc ?

no
You could maybe stretch your imagination to consider Lenny Kravitz funk, and I believe he uses a V, but I would recommend a strat style HSS guitar.
alright 7th's, I know major and minor 7th's... and i'll look at 9ths 11ths and 13ths...

and yes I do know barre chords, I know a lot of chords... but not many complexed ones.

well next time I blow some money I'll have to browse around for some funky tones... I didn't think my V would be right, especially since it's cleans leave a little to be desired.
Most importantly you need to get the steady 16th note rhythm going. You'll be using mostly the three highest strings or just one string with some dead notes in between the notes/chords. Also, I'd suggest getting a wah pedal.
Quote by Stratwizard
Most importantly you need to get the steady 16th note rhythm going. You'll be using mostly the three highest strings or just one string with some dead notes in between the notes/chords. Also, I'd suggest getting a wah pedal.

I've got a cry baby, I haven't been entirely content with the sound but it's not bad... is there a more funkified wah pedal than that you'd suggest?
I play in a RHCP cover band right now and we are covering everything from mothers milk and before...you should consider what string gauge and pick you use because when i started I played w/ 1.14 on some light Ernie's...that will cut down on some drag because all that s*** is kinda fast...but I would say learn some seventh cords. I play everything with a HSS strat copy, it will sound kinda of muddy on my LP.

Do not use a 1.14 on some light Ernies..
Last edited by MegaDON at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by MegaDON
I play in a RHCP cover band right now and we are covering everything from mothers milk and before...you should consider what string gauge and pick you use because when i started I played w/ 1.14 on some light Ernie's...that will cut down on some drag because all that s*** is kinda fast...but I would say learn some seventh cords. I play everything with a HSS strat copy, it will sound kinda of muddy on my LP.

Do not use a 1.14 on some light Ernies..

currenntly I'm using Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky, and Dava Master Control Metal tipped picks.
Last edited by Cobalt Blue at Jan 30, 2008,
The 16th beat strumming is one of the most important things. Try to keep your hand moving up and down even when you aren't playing a note. A metronome is the first thing you need imo.
Also practice hitting a note on one string while mutting the other string with your fretting hand. It seems to me that chords are major or minor with added 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, etc. Except you won't usually be hitting all six strings on a chord, more like the top 3 or 4. That what I prefer at least.
Soloing in the pentatonics sounds good. Actually adding the tones of the 7ths, 9ths etc into the pentatonic scales you are using for a particular song sounds like a good idea.
Quote by Cobalt Blue
I've got a cry baby, I haven't been entirely content with the sound but it's not bad... is there a more funkified wah pedal than that you'd suggest?

I have a Crybaby too and you can get a pretty good funky wah out of it IMO. Anyway, don't worry about the gear yet, learn to play first.
Quote by Stratwizard
I have a Crybaby too and you can get a pretty good funky wah out of it IMO. Anyway, don't worry about the gear yet, learn to play first.

yeah don't worry, I'm not planning on running out and blowing all my money on a funkified rig. Just getting suggestions checking out prices right now..

I'm pretty good with rhythm as is, I'm mostly just worrying about brushing up on the chords right now.
vox wahs are epic
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Do NOT get a hollowbody. I have one and it is not the sort of thing you want to play high funk chords or ripping funk leads. It's harder to get to the higher frets on it, like it would be on an acoustic (but not as bad as that).

Get a strat, Hendrix used one and he had some really funky stuff. Just get a strat, find a nice tone, and use lots and lots of wah wah wah wah wah
ok, might come across as a bit of an idiot here but im not too great with metronomes, ive been using metronomeonline.com mostly but it dosnt seem capable of doing the 16th notes thing like on the youtube video >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cfMKQlkqZw
does anyone know of any good software metronomes that i could download. or even just a simple explanation of metronomeonline...ive read the 'how to' guides and whatnot but its all greek to me :S.
cheers
Well you just need to subdivide the beat; metronomeonline gives you quarter note clicks so playing 4 notes per click would be 16th notes.. playing 2 notes per click would be 8th notes..cool?
MAYBE, learn those 7th chords and have a jam with a bassist who can slap quiet well. Then improv using those 7th chords.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->