Hey!
I have a question.
I currently have an active pick up configuration, H-H, 3 way selector switch, 1 volume, 1 tone.
I have some passive EMGs that i would like to install, but i am worried about what might happen.
Any ideas?
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
My guitar is a Jackson JS30, if that helps.
Quote by leeb rocks
Well, lets first clear this out of the way, why on earth are you installing the Passive EMG's? They're horrible.
The EMG HZ?
Well, not to be rude, but thats your opinion. not mine. you have a different sound liking than i do.
Quote by leeb rocks
Yes, theyre stock, and yes, they are active.
Why else would there be a battery i can oh so plainly see in the back of my guitar?
Quote by leeb rocks
If you're going to replace the pickups, go all the way and get real EMGs, not the watered down passive versions.

But, if you do want to go with mediocre passive EMGs, you'll need to replace the electronics. Because actives and passives require different pot values, and the JS30 is a low-end model. Low end models of guitars tend to have crappy electronics anyways, so it would eb in your best interest to replace everything.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by konkordmusk
Yes, theyre stock, and yes, they are active.
Why else would there be a battery i can oh so plainly see in the back of my guitar?

Ah, I've always thought they were passive.
My mistake then.

Well, if you'll eb replacing the pickups, you might as well get active EMG's, since going from Active to Passive will require you to change the pots and whatnot, which I think is too much of a hassle.
But if you really want passives, don't use HZ's.

EDIT: Or just do what Will Minus said.
The Hz insn't really a bad pickup IMO, but the actives only cost pennies more, so why not get those?
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
basically, you'll need to remove the pups obviously, get rid of the battery, and change out your pots from the 25k ones to 250k or either 500k pots
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Its not like i have the money to get the active EMG's
actually what happened is my friend has the zakk wylde guitar that came with the EMG hz's pre installed in them, but he got the actual zakk wylde active set, so hes making the opposite change i am.
so, hes giving me the passive, and since the JS30 is a low end guitar, i thought i might amp it up.
I actually migt just wait til i get another guitar, and if it doesnt have the best sounding pickups, i still have the passives to repalace it with if i ever need to.
im probably gonna go with an ESP or and LTD, but im not sure.

Or i could just re wire my crappy squier, and cut out the pickguard.
i dono.
and then, if i do decide to go with the replacement, i could just as easily put a 400k potentiometer, could i not?
Cause thats all i have, and i hate searching for that crap.
Quote by leeb rocks