okay so im playing my first gig febuary 22nd.

i am playing bass and doing back up vocals.

i have not ever played in front of a big crowd so this will be wow.

what should i do?

we are a 3 peice group.

and we are playing for 30 mins. we might cover a song.
you should definantly try interacting with the crowd, and try to not stay still much like jump around or something.
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
ok. im going to be wearing a hat while playing bass and singing.

i thought about sun glasses to but i was like thats kinda stupid.
Quote by aaron6890
what kind of music will it be? you should buy a cheap bass and smash it on stage, or if thats to cliche' for you jump around. have your guitarist and drummer work out a little fill thing durrin one of your songs, then turn off the bass and stage dive while singing, thats always cool.

lol not a big enough place to waste money smashing stuff lol.

but we will be playing rock/alternative music.

i think we might have screams in some parts so that will be very cool.
just have your singer connect with the crowd and you sit back and look pretty
Quote by exect4500
just have your singer connect with the crowd and you sit back and look pretty

ok. i been thinking what to do and stuff and i guess thats pretty easy for me.

we have a 30 min set.
i think put up,play, and tear down is all in the 30 mins. so how many songs can we put in it?

songs with the lengths of 3-4 mins.
yeah i've seen some really cool things done on stage. why not jump off of the bass drum, if it could hold you, i've never personally tried it but i've seen bands do it, but they might have had it reinforced. you could also through cd's (if you have them) into the crowd, bring up some one on stage that you know and pretend like you dont know him, then have him play one of your songs, that way it looks like you have a big fan base, i could go on and on.
Last edited by aaron6890 at Jan 29, 2008,
1st time in front of big crowd you goin to be to hyped up to even remeber how the show went once its over.....relax and do what you do in practice, if you jump and move around alot do that
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
You'll probably be nervous right before the performance, but once you get on stage and start rockin' you'll be fine.

For your first song, I'd recommend playing an ubpeat song that you're good at. This will boost your confidence and get rid of your nerves. Doing a well-known cover is also a good idea, maybe as the last song. This will make it a memorable performance for your audience.

Under no circumstances should you just stand there and look at your fretboard. Look at your audience, but don't look like a deer-in-headlights. Move around. You don't have to do backflips or anything ridiculous like that, just get into the groove and act like you're enjoying it (you should be enjoying it anyway, so it'll come naturally). As a 3 piece where you're only doing backing vocals, a lot of the "energy" will have to come from you. The drummer is stuck sitting down, the singer is usually behind the mic, but you have the freedom to move around. Just walking around and looking cool goes a long way. Interact with your audience, get them in to it. Sing the words even when you're not behind the mic.

Well that's all for me. Good luck, and remember to have fun!

EDIT: lol lots of replies
what you should do is move around and play with some energy, but don't do the cliche sychronized jump. watch some vids of mark hoppus when he was in blink and that'll give you some decent idea of what i'm talking about. remember, K.I.S.S. which stands for keep it simple stupid
l> l> /\ l\
l>
l\ /~\ l/
Quote by aaron6890
yeah i've seen some really cool things done on stage. why not jump off of the bass drum, if it could hold you, i've never personally tried it but i've seen bands do it, but they might have had it reinforced. you could also through cd's (if you have them) into the crowd, bring up some one on stage that you know and pretend like you dont know him, then have him play one of your songs, that way it looks like you have a big fan base, i could go on and on.

lol. the bass drum could hold me. im only 102 pounds lol.
30 min. first gig? That's awesome.
Move around. Try to get the other guy to move around too.
This might be obvious, but DON'T TURN YOU BACK ON THE CROWD. Face them at all times, or at least be at like a 90 degree angle.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
you could maybe get in 7 songs if you play them back to back but i would say do like 5 and have alot of on stage banter with your band and the audience, and if you have time do a cover of a pop song or something it will get the crowd going and will make it so you dont come off to serious. if you want to be serious, do a whole band cover of an acoustic song (once again something popular, you dont have to like it but the people will love it) with tons of distortion.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
30 min. first gig? That's awesome.
Move around. Try to get the other guy to move around too.
This might be obvious, but DON'T TURN YOU BACK ON THE CROWD. Face them at all times, or at least be at like a 90 degree angle.

ok u got it.

i thought about throwing picks into the crowd.

i just hope it goes good. been trying to think how many songs i can put into the set but we will have to find out.
Show the crowd that you're having fun, and they will have fun
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown