Page 1 of 2
seriously at first it was a joke but would it actually help?

Should I cut the webbing of my fingers for better stretches?

hypotheticly if my fingers arent long enough and i need that extra stretch to accomplish my goal should i have my webbings removed?

i wanna have faster progressions so i am practicing using all four fingers per string on a scale progression and adding a tap for 5 notes per string for a faster sounding legato scale.

but my ****ing fingers just do not reach that far, i have been stretching my ring and middle finger for so long doing different stretches and exercises but it aint cutting it.

btw can anyone do what I am tryign to do? 5 notes per string? assuming you didnt remove your webbings to accomplish it.
yes
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
no, i have extreamly small hands and a few of my fingers are webbed to, but eventually they will bend further from the joint, in the long run preventing arthritis of the knucles
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by Manjinken

btw can anyone do what I am tryign to do? 5 notes per string? assuming you didnt remove your webbings to accomplish it.

You said you tap the fifth note, which is the only possible way to do 5 note per string, humans (assuming you are one) have 4 fingers on each hand.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
you are probably going to injure yourself if you do that. badly. you may even ruin your career as a musician. i wouldnt do it
Quote by Doodleface
You said you tap the fifth note, which is the only possible way to do 5 note per string, humans (assuming you are one) have 4 fingers on each hand.

thats the idea.
Quote by groll01
yes

Best reply in thread

It's one of the ancient secrets, you know. Classical musicians used to torture themselves using scary contraptions to gain more finger independance.
who or what inspired such an idea? at any rate i suppose if you got it professionally done it wouldn't be so bad.... but it would look weird. If you did it to yourself then your gonna die from a staff infection or something.
Quote by Doodleface

Well your thumb does exist too. Believe it or not, I've seen guitarists incorporate their thumb to do 5nps runs without tapping.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jan 29, 2008,
obviously the idea of playing on a smaller studio/jr size guitar has completely f#cking escaped you. that being said if you're screwed up enough to actually wanna cut the webbing outta your fingers then do it dammit. i can guarantee it won't make your stretches any better.

edit: and yes, i can stretch over five frets (from the first to the sixth) not easily either AND it took years and years and years of stretching.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by z4twenny
obviously the idea of playing on a smaller studio/jr size guitar has completely f#cking escaped you. that being said if you're screwed up enough to actually wanna cut the webbing outta your fingers then do it dammit. i can guarantee it won't make your stretches any better.

edit: and yes, i can stretch over five frets (from the first to the sixth) not easily either AND it took years and years and years of stretching.

yeah but i dont like to limmit myself to only one type of guitar. Though i actually enjoy smaller guitars, i grew up playing on a wide variety of of crap models from starcaster's to squires to knockoff epiphones of all different sizes. I like to be able to play on a variety of instruments, because nothing pissed me off more than having to use the excuse, "I can only play well on MY OWN equipment"
All you need to do is practice. I have small hands, but I can do quite a few semigilbertly stretches.
^ would you expect a midget to be able to play well on a standard sized classical guitar? you do realize thats the reason they make jr size guitars right? i mean hell, if your dead set on it, come to texas and i'll get you all liquored up and chop your hands all up but this is quite possibly the dumbest thing i've heard in quite a while. i suggest just continuing to practice and slowly stretch your fingers as they WILL stretch.

and to quote myself again:

i can guarantee it won't make your stretches any better.

i'm really not trying to be a d!ck dude, but have you considered actually physically stretching your hands ? i mean,way back when, i used to sit down and massage my fingers then slowly stretch them (as in apply JUST enough pressure to make it noticeable that my fingers were stretching, painful but just barely) i'd stretch my fingers out for a minute at a time twice a day (morning when i first woke up and evening right before bed)

and also i'm not sure how old you are (i'm assuming 13 or 14 as you're suggesting cutting the webbing off your hands to play guitar) if you're still young you have to realize you're going to continue to grow and that includes your hands, as your hands get larger it will get easier to do farther stretches.

Quote by Psychedelico
All you need to do is practice. I have small hands, but I can do quite a few semigilbertly stretches.

amen brother, amen
Cutting the webbing of your hand will weaken your grip and cause you pain every single time you play.

That's so metal.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
It sounds like a good idea.
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Quote by jnitz
It sounds like a good idea.

Yep. I think we all agree that you should do it.
NOW.
I can't even believe some of you guys saying this is a good idea... this is probably the stupidest idea on the net.
I can't even believe some of you guys saying this is a good idea... this is probably the stupidest idea on the net.

I dunno, putting your dick in a raccoon's mouth is stupider by my standards...

But this is stupid.

And what's with everybody complaining about "small hands"? sounds like a poor excuse to me.
Call me Batman.
The webbing on your hands is designed to be flexible. The limiting factors are the muscles bones and tendons. All of them flexible with stretching except the bones and joints. It would be counterproductive because the scar tissue would be less flexible than the webbing.
Quote by Thurisaz

everyone telling him to do it knows it won't actually help. they just want him to chop his hands up.
Quote by J.A.M
I dunno, putting your dick in a raccoon's mouth is stupider by my standards...

But this is stupid.

And what's with everybody complaining about "small hands"? sounds like a poor excuse to me.

i didnt say i had small hands i said my fingers wont stretch as much as i want them too.

I could have 10 inch fingers that stre h very well, but they still will stretch EVEN further withotu webbings.

Kind of like no matter what you do, you can do it better on cocaine.
Do it.

Then post pics.
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
Quote by Manjinken

I could have 10 inch fingers that stre h very well, but they still will stretch EVEN further withotu webbings.

Kind of like no matter what you do, you can do it better on cocaine.

no they wouldn't

and no you can't
Quote by Thurisaz

You are mistaken for thinking anybody seriously believes it's a good idea.
do it then post pics
b4 and after
itll help alot dude my friend totally did that and thee guy can make 6 fret streches almost 7

EDIT:THIS IS SARCARSM YOU IDIOTS.. i am not sorry for caps they were on purpose.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Jan 29, 2008,
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
do it then post pics
b4 and after
itll help alot dude my friend totally did that and thee guy can make 6 fret streches almost 7

Dont listen to these people.

They want to see you destroy your hands for their own amusement.

I am 14, and have been playing guitar for a year and a half. I play minor sevenths on two consecutive strings (5 fret stretch) while at the first fret, however it is difficult to play with my other two fingers with my hand like this, although there is no discomfort. I can play octaves on consecutive strings (7 frets) on the fifth fret and higher

Just keep stretching.
If you are even stupid enough to even consider this in the slightest bit then I hope you do go through with it.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Dont listen to these people.

They want to see you destroy your hands for their own amusement.

I am 14, and have been playing guitar for a year and a half. I play minor sevenths on two consecutive strings (5 fret stretch) while at the first fret, however it is difficult to play with my other two fingers with my hand like this, although there is no discomfort. I can play octaves on consecutive strings (7 frets) on the fifth fret and higher

Just keep stretching.

Holy cow your a genuis you Like U KnoW$ I WAs LIk3 S3rI0S that is S0 L33T/sarcasm
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
Holy cow your a genuis you Like U KnoW$ I WAs LIk3 S3rI0S that is S0 L33T/sarcasm

Maybe, you should make your sarcasm apparent. I cant hear the tone of your voice, so I have to take everything you say to be 100% litteral. Also your lack of proper spelling (which i now know was intentional) made me think of you as an immature person (please no **** about "your only 14, you cant be mature", Im not always mature, and I realize that). Generally immature people dont care about others, and would want to see them do something like this.

This is serious stuff, we have to stop him from going through with this as hes only going to be destroying himself.

EDIT: Thank you for making your sarcasm apparent this time.
how could you not notice i was sarcastic? every one whu said anything like me was being sarcastic man
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
how could you not notice i was sarcastic? every one whu said anything like me was being sarcastic man

Actually no not everyone was.
Said thread starter said
Quote by Manjinken
seriously at first it was a joke but would it actually help?
. This shows he wasn't joking, which gives me absolutely no reason to believe others were being sarcastic, unless they specifically say so. Answering a serious question without sarcasm is only logical.
^ yes, because we all want him to f#ck his hands up, thats how we get our laughs around here, well this and burn victims. let me reiterate one last time :

it won't help
Page 1 of 2