So a buddy of mine bought a fender twin reverb off of musicians friend and one of the tubes was shattered when he took it out of the box (6L6B power tube) and went and bought a pair of 6l6S tubes and replaced the broken one and the other outside tube (a pro told us to do this) now his indicator light went off and it smells like something is burning in the back of the amp.

Could this because the 6l6b and 6l6s tubes werent compatible?
if the pilot light don't go on, it's the fuse most likely...

or is any wire/cable touching the tubes? those might be burning because the tubes run very hot.

and are the 6L6S tubes glowing orange or blue?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the 6l6s tubes are glowing orange, and even though the light is off the amp still works
Last edited by omega5 at Jan 29, 2008,
wierd. might be the power transformer... if u smell burning smell, you should definitely get a tech see it if its not wire burning.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I don't think it's because of your choice of output tube. Sounds like there's more damage inside. That's weird that the power light doesn't light up, but the amp still works. You should take it to a tech before a fire ensues!
The light bulbs go out, same as any other bulb, but it has nothing to do with whether the amp works or not, it just tells you it's turned on. I had to play my Super Reverb without a lamp for a week till I could get one.

The difference in tube suffix shouldn't cause any problems, in a perfect world you want all 4 tubes to match, but it isn't critical. I have two pairs of different brands in my Peavey MX, no problem.

The burning smell may be new tubes heating up, I would have a tech look inside to be sure nothing is fried though. Don't open it up yourself if you don't have a good electronics background, tube amps look perfectly harmless sitting there shut down but they still operate on voltages that are deadly and the filter capacitors hold a lethal charge for several months.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...