Hi everyone!

I recently got a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401 40W combo. I love the amp's sound itself, but I need it to be a bit louder to cut through the mix of my jam sessions.

The guy I bought it from told me I could buy an extension cabinet for it, but I have never looked much into cabinets until now, since I thought before that only Amp heads could use them.

Anyways, I don't really know much about cabs like I said, so I'd like to buy one for it-- but don't know what I need to get that will work.

I'm not even sure if they make them anymore, but I'd still like to know what the model I need is so I can seek a used one.

Or, if there's a different brand cab that would work well for mine, I'm open to that, but I'd honestly say my budget for a cab isn't more than 300-500 dollars.

Please don't flame me or tell me I need to "first get a better amp". I love my amp's tone and am completely satisfied, I just need it to be louder.

Thanks SO much for your help, and shred on!
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
thats a great amp by the way try out this website read some stuff there is a lot to learn on this website too: http://avatarspeakers.com/
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
you probably wont need anything too big maybe a 2 x 12 although you can go witha4 x 12.. check the ohm rating on the amp and get a cab to match it.. i dont know how much they are but vox makes some 2x12s and im pretty sure b 52 has a 2x12 with vintage 30s in it so check that out
Current Setup

Schecter Blackjack C7
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMG 81/85
Peavey 5150II Head
Peavey 6505 Cab w/ two Eminence Texas Heat
Epi PR5-e
Hot Rod Deluxe
Thank you VERY much to both of you!

I am definitely checking that website.

Hmm I see. Well I would like it to be preferably for metal. So I don't know if Vox is up my alley. I'd prefer a Marshall cab, because it lets me go from blues to metal, but if any other brand that will sound pretty good on my amp will let me do the same, I'm down for that.

So considering my playing style (pretty much metal and other heavily distorted genres, or just completely clean) what cab would be best for my style?

EDIT:
The independence selector on it is an 8 Ohm/16 Ohm...
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
you're going to have to try them out b52s are made for metal. alot of companies make 2x12's marshall being one of them. so if you want a marshall check them out on musicians friend. a preferred metal cab is also mesa and they make a 2x12 also but i think they are pretty expensive.. as far as the ohms go it will be different for each cab they are usually 4,8, or 16 , and you match the switch to whatever your cab is.. if you run two cabs you and they are both 16 ohms you want to run the amp at 8
Current Setup

Schecter Blackjack C7
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMG 81/85
Peavey 5150II Head
Peavey 6505 Cab w/ two Eminence Texas Heat
Epi PR5-e
Hot Rod Deluxe
Ahhh I see...

Hm, but so what you're saying is, I don't need like a specific model cab to match my Amp for it not to sound horrid?

Does that mean I could just use any 2x12 cab they have available, and it would work?
I was looking at a JCM 900 series 2x12 amp cab, would that work ideally?

So if I want just one cab on my amp, I want the Ohms to be 8 then?

Sorry if this is n00bish, but I've always just used a combo, and haven't really needed a cab until now, so everything cab is news to me.

Thanks again though, this really helps.
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird