Anyway...Hey Im Dan

I want to learn how to play the guitar. Ive been looking around the net and going to a few local shops. Today I went to a shop and they had a gibson Les Paul on the wall that was damn sexy. I just cant justify the 800-1000 investment on something like that right now.

I looked around and found that epiphone makes a LP and is much cheaper to get. I found a "starter kit" in my price range that I would like some feedback on.

Heres the link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar-and-Amp-Pack-513150-i1320789.gc

Is there any reason not to get this setup?

Thanks,
Dan
Go for it man. If you realize that playing guitar isn't for you 250 isn't too much wasted if you can't resell it. My dad had a guitar laying around the house for years and I never ever played it til one day I picked it up randomly and have been playing for six years now. So you never know if you might pick it back up later on down the road.
Hey first of all, welcome to UG!! You picked a good site to help you pick up the guitar. There are alot of people in the eletric guitar and beginner forum that can help.

The guitar pack is okay to learn on, but in the future you'll probably want to upgrade in the future. I started on a similar pack, and it was good to learn on. Once I got better at playing guitar, I needed to get a better guitar.

Hope this helped!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
if you've never played before id say wander around pawn shops and built the exact same kit for cheaper and or better quality equipment...then if u enjoy it start buying new
No one's going to beat you up in the new members forum. It'd already be too late to save you if you had posted in the pit though...

That looks like a decent set up to start with. Don't just order it though, go to a store and bring someone who knows guitars with you to look at it. If they have one out on the floor, that's probably not going to be the one you buy. Instead ask them to bring one of the boxed ones out from the back. You can get good guitars in those starter packs, but the rate of defects is high. If your buddy spots a problem, look at another one.
^I'm going to add to his post that you should talk to the employees at the music store too. Most of them are happy to help and won't try to screw you over
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will go ahead and get this setup. I was going to get a nicer one, but If I find the guitar not for me, then Im not out very much cash. I think I can play this for a year or two then, if I like it, upgrade to a real LP or something else perhaps.