I've been lookin for some tube combos and from what ive seen on youtube in the budget range both the Randall RG50TC and Peavey Classics sound really good.

The problem is ideally i could have both amps because i like the sound of both but what i'd like to know is if i had to pick one, which one would be the best to get both sorta tones?

I only really like the Peavey Classic when its goind flatout with as much gain as it has for that JCM800 kinda tone so i was thinking the RG50TC might be able to sound like that with a bit less gain on one of its channels but i cant find any demos of this.

This post isnt very well written but basically could an RG50TC sound something like a peavey classic? because i like both but can only buy one. or maybe a windsor would be a better option?

thanks, i would just try them out but i live in small town that doesnt have anything good.
What music do you want to play?

The Windsor is more suited to higher gain stuff than the Classic.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
basically im looking for judas priest - defenders of the faith album (JCM800 2203 kinda stuff) to symphony x/dream theater high gain stuff and hopefully anything in between if possible.

i'd like to have the versatility to do all that but if i had to pick one end of the scale to be closer to id love the more judas priest kind of sound

heres some demos:

Judas Priest sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRCsDhgSXUg

Symphony X sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUn4jXZko5E

two awesome videos as well, lol
the windsor might be for you, its like a jcm 800 on roids with very small head room
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
^that means the tubes start going into overdrive sooner (at lower volumes) doesnt it?

it did sound quite good on a few vids but pretty horrible in some others so i didnt know what to think about the windsor
It definitely sounds better with a good cab - the Windsor cab is pretty rubbish. One thing to note, however, is that you will not get a clean sound out of the Windsor. It's drive all the way.
Quote by Denthúl
It definitely sounds better with a good cab - the Windsor cab is pretty rubbish. One thing to note, however, is that you will not get a clean sound out of the Windsor. It's drive all the way.

Same problem as the Randall, although the Randall does have marginally better cleans.

Or, better yet, you could wait for the Windsor Studio!!

If it's ever released, that is.
The classic are better built amps IMO and can get that type of tone, pretty close any way. With a OD pedal it would get there easy, I would go for the classic, its made in the USA , thier built like tanks, have been around for over 15 years and have a proven track record of being awesome as well as reliable.
the problem with the randall is that its cleans are good, it gets decent bluesy-overdrive with the boost engaged on the clean channel, but then once you switch to the overdrive channel you're at very least at 80's metal gain (and tone) if not heavier. there's really not much between slightly broken up blues tones and out-and-out metal.

that complicates things, obviously.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the problem with the randall is that its cleans are good, it gets decent bluesy-overdrive with the boost engaged on the clean channel, but then once you switch to the overdrive channel you're at very least at 80's metal gain (and tone) if not heavier. there's really not much between slightly broken up blues tones and out-and-out metal.

that complicates things, obviously.

yeah i might have to try them which might be hard to do but oh well i will eventually.

i know each amp does what it aims to do well i just need to know how well each one can perform at trying to achieve the others tone if that makes sense

the randall is also cheaper than both the classic 50 and 30 which may edge it into favour but ive had very bad experiences with solid state randalls. and by bad experiences i mean they all sound like shit to me, muddy with distortion bass like when you crank techno on a $20 stereo at full volume
im in the same situation as u dave.

should i get a used classic 30 for $400 aud or a new rg50tc for $900?

i play mainly metal but the $900 is really stretching my budget.

can a classic 30 get all out hi gain stuff like arch enemy, dream theater and some death metal bands?

and i have a sansamp gt-2 to use as a boost, but duno how it'll sound as its not really an od, its a tube emulator.

cheers guys
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Get a classic, GC are clearing them out so go quick, and while at it get a good OD pedal or whatever you want...metalzone maybe?
dave and i both live in australia, we cant buy from guitar centre.

**** sorry to steal the thread dave.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni

bummer!
Quote by macaroni

haha no worries, we both seem to be after the same thing anyway

i wonder what a peavey classic 30 would be like if you got a metal muff and a tubescreamer and alternated between the two depending on what kind of sound you want? obviously the tube screamer for overdriven JCM800 style sounds and the metal muff for heavier stuff...
^ Thats what I tried to do, I play in a youth greared worship band, and we get into some pretty hardrock tones. I bought the Visual Sound Jekly and Hyde, My idea was to use the OD side to boost the OD of the amp and the Distortion side to drive the hard rock drop d songs we do. The JH pedal is great on the OD side and the distortion is nice to but I like the amps tone MUCH MUCH better than the JH. I don't know how to explain it, the amp sounds so much fuller and more life filled and real. I ended up running the OD a lot harder and turn it off when I playing softer stuff, with the OD pedal it will get pretty hard but will def not do death metal. With the distortion pedal it can but doesn't any where near as good as the amp or the amp+OD. The metal muff may be different.

FYI as of now I am only using the amps OD for all my distrion sounds, it is very marshally with an OD very simalar to the JCM 800 IMO. It will get nearly as hard as say Underoath with the OD pedal, although s strech but within reach without getting too muddy, and any more than that is out of its reach without a distrotion pedal..
Quote by Diamond Dave
yeah i might have to try them which might be hard to do but oh well i will eventually.

i know each amp does what it aims to do well i just need to know how well each one can perform at trying to achieve the others tone if that makes sense

the randall is also cheaper than both the classic 50 and 30 which may edge it into favour but ive had very bad experiences with solid state randalls. and by bad experiences i mean they all sound like shit to me, muddy with distortion bass like when you crank techno on a $20 stereo at full volume

it really just depends how much of each type of music you play, and your ear too. obviously if you dislike randall tone (i haven't tried the solid states, so have no idea if they sound like the tubes or not), that'll affect things too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Diamond Dave
basically im looking for judas priest - defenders of the faith album (JCM800 2203 kinda stuff) to symphony x/dream theater high gain stuff and hopefully anything in between if possible.

I'm looking for the same sound. Love Priest, Maiden, early Metallica... I'll be interested in what you find and watching this thread. Researching the same thing, my shortlist is the Windsor head (too much power for my needs), Windsor studio if it ever comes out and sounds almost like the head, and people have been recommending Randall RG50TC, classic 30, Traynor YCV50 Blue, b-52 combo, and blackheart w/pedal. I plan on listened to these and more in person soon.
Last edited by warped_1 at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by Johnbryant
^ Thats what I tried to do, I play in a youth greared worship band, and we get into some pretty hardrock tones. I bought the Visual Sound Jekly and Hyde, My idea was to use the OD side to boost the OD of the amp and the Distortion side to drive the hard rock drop d songs we do. The JH pedal is great on the OD side and the distortion is nice to but I like the amps tone MUCH MUCH better than the JH. I don't know how to explain it, the amp sounds so much fuller and more life filled and real. I ended up running the OD a lot harder and turn it off when I playing softer stuff, with the OD pedal it will get pretty hard but will def not do death metal. With the distortion pedal it can but doesn't any where near as good as the amp or the amp+OD. The metal muff may be different.

FYI as of now I am only using the amps OD for all my distrion sounds, it is very marshally with an OD very simalar to the JCM 800 IMO. It will get nearly as hard as say Underoath with the OD pedal, although s strech but within reach without getting too muddy, and any more than that is out of its reach without a distrotion pedal..

so you got the peavey classic right? seems obvious that you did but i just thought i'd ask seeing as you didnt specify it in your post. Thanks though, im probably leaning more to the overdriven peavey classic now because i really like it's tone. ideally id get an orange rocker 50 head and cab but i got no hope in hell until at least after uni

Quote by warped_1
I'm looking for the same sound. Love Priest, Maiden, early Metallica... I'll be interested in what you find and watching this thread. Researching the same thing, my shortlist is the Windsor head (too much power for my needs), Windsor studio if it ever comes out and sounds almost like the head, and people have been recommending Randall RG50TC, classic 30, Traynor YCV50 Blue, b-52 combo, and blackheart w/pedal. I plan on listened to these and more in person soon.

yeah i'll let you know if i do find something, as far as i can tell though at this sort of price range its kind of a blackhole as far as tube amps for this kind of sound go and its made even worse by the general lack of availability here in australia
will the rg50tc hav enough distortion for metal at bedroom levels?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
so you got the peavey classic right?

Yes I thought I said that, I see that my post was not the clear though. The C30 as I have stated is Awesome, I really think you will love it once you put a nice OD on it can nail the tones you are looking for.
i dont think the peavey classic can do metal (dream theater) though, unless u get a good OD and EQ. but i think u'd be better off waiting for the peavey windsor studio and get an EQ for the dream theater.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
^ I was talking more about the judest Priest tone. Although the C30 can get pretty nasty with an OD Really hard drop tunning to C or lower its not going to do what your looking for without some type of distortion pedal.