OK so on my Jackson Performer i just put on a heavy gauge of strings, and guess what...yes it pulled the floyd rose closer to the pickups. As in height. Now im wondering if i could get another spring @ like a hardware store and mod it or do i have to go all official and buy it at a guitar store...or would they even have one there? Any suggestions would be great
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
If you can find something from a hardware store that will work then you can give that a try. Id stick to getting a spring from the guitar store though
Yeah, i think i can find one with a ring on each end, then ill bend one end into the needed shape...this is what it needs to look like
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
personally i dont think its the best idea to put heavy strings on an FR.

i tried that a long time ago and it just makes more trouble.
you can tighten/loosen the springs, they shouldn't really need to be replaced...
How far up has the bridge tilted? Theres a ton of tutorials on this online and threads on UG.
From Floyd Rose Website...

FLOYD ROSE ORIGINAL TREMOLO - CHANGING TO A DIFFERENT GAUGE STRING SET

To change to a heavier gauge of strings you need to tighten the springs, reset the intonation, and possibly adjust the truss rod tension. If your not accustomed to working on guitars you may want to take your guitar to a qualified guitar repairman who is familiar with Floyd Rose systems. But if you want to try it, here’s what you do...

To change to a heavier gauge of strings:

Step 1:
Replace all your strings with the heavier gauge strings and tune the guitar to an electronic tuner
(leave the nut clamps un-clamped).

Step 2:
Check to see if the base plate is parallel with the body.

Step 3:
If the base plate seems to be tilting up away from the body, increase the spring tension and re-tune.
If the base plate seems to be tilting down closer to the body, decrease the spring tension and retune.

Step 4:
Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the base plate is sitting parallel to the body.

Heres the link:
http://floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

You can either tighten the 2 claw screws and bring it back down. If its already pretty far in and theres not much room between the claw and body then add another spring. I'm guessing you went from 9's to a thicker gauge? Depends how higher up in gauge you went. If its from 9's to 10's then just tighten the 2 screws in the claw evenly and slowly. If its a bigger jump then you'll probably have to add a spring then adjust the claw anyways. Its easier then you think once you do it. Also remember to check intonation and a possible truss rod adjustment depending on how much higher the gauge and where your tuning is at.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
personally i dont think its the best idea to put heavy strings on an FR.

i tried that a long time ago and it just makes more trouble.

My friend has 12's on his RR3 tuned to drop B sharp (Or whatever tuning machine head uses). It works absolutely fine. Returns to pitch after heavy wanking.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
And here I thought you were too high to play a guitar equipped with a floyd rose...
Wait...so how do i lower spring tension?
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
you would tighten them not loosen the tension you can crank them screws pretty far down almost tight even
Nvm, figured it out...thanks guys!
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by ILoveGuitar07
anyone agree/disagree /w me?

i completely disagree, i currently have;

gauge

and it works great for me, no neck problems, and the actions really low.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.