Lately ive been getting more involved with musical theory, learning how read and write songs and even learning about scales.
One thing i want to know is what the most common scales if any?
You stole my Overture
might wanna try mixolydian. most commonly found in blues or jazz and very helpful for bassists.

Bb mixolydian scale:

-----------------------------------------
--------------------------5---6---8----
------------5---6---8------------------
---6---8--------------------------------
well them ost common is the minor aka Aeolian. however; also you should check out some wierd scales like my favorite scale the hungarian major scale which goes

root, #2 , 3, #4, 5 , 6 b7
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Im not sure what the most common are but I got this cool thing from a book store called The Bass Deck. Its a mini book in the shape of a bass neck with frets and each scale has a different page that shows where to fret and what fingers to use. Its handy.
I gotta say Dorian is pretty common. I mean, what other scale can boast being used in two epic songs from the opposite ends of the music spectrum: So What by Miles Davis, and Rapper's Delight by The Sugar Hill Gang. Nevermind countless, countless funk charts. Awesome scale.
In progressive rock I find that the blues scale comes up a fair bit (Coheed & Cambria) but other rock groups often use minor or major pentatonics. But hey, there are no rules about which scale to use, just use your ears
signature
^ I doubt he needs to know about progressive when he's just starting to learn Scales.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
^ I doubt he needs to know about progressive when he's just starting to learn Scales.

If someone is getting 'more involved with theory and scales' like the TS said, and like me too, I see nothing wrong with learning some prog, or any other challenging genre: jazz, funk, etc, etc.

I'm not exactly going to say: play some Blink 182 and you can see that Mr Hoppus uses the major scale exclusively in bla, bla..

EDIT: also I'm focussed on learning quite a lot of Rush at the moment so maybe my mindset got in the way of the thread.
signature
Last edited by Bullet-Rule at Jan 29, 2008,
Learn minor pentatonic scales, learn to play them really fast, just stand there, and solo like Entwistle. Seriously, throw in some chromatics and play them as 16ths at about 145bpm and that's pretty much the blueprint of the 5:15 solo.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by kaptink
I quite like the Phrygian scale myself!

Me too, I never use it though, but my guitarist does alot.

Learn the major, minor, pentatonic and blues, they take the same shape everywhere so you only need to learn it once, twice if you want to use open strings, but otherwise it's pretty easy. Then learn your modes.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Pentatonic - major + minor
Blues scale (a minor pentatonic with an added #4/b5)
Major scale + modes
Harmonic minor
Melodic minor.

Those are what you need to learn, and that order is roughly how much they come up in most popular genres today.

Quote by sammcl-15
Learn the major, minor, pentatonic and blues, they take the same shape everywhere so you only need to learn it once, twice if you want to use open strings, but otherwise it's pretty easy. Then learn your modes.

Learning shapes is not a great idea otherwise you get stuck playing "in the box", jsut recycling the same 10-15 licks over and over again. Much better to learn all the notes on the fretboard, the notes that make the scale and then you can play notes which fit that scale anywhere on the fretboard.

Shapes are a great aid in learning the notes of the scale I find, but if all you learn are shapes then yopu're stuck with that knowledge of scales on only one instrument.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Last edited by sinan90 at Jan 29, 2008,
ive really stop taking intrest in alot of my fav bands (blink, sum 41, etc) But lately ive been really into Qotsa and Foo fighters. Im gonna learn the scales that sinan90 mentioned and take thefitz advice
You stole my Overture