Poll: What is the better?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the better?
Tubes
17 85%
Solid State
3 15%
Voters: 20.
I am trying to wire up my Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 Plus with a custom touch. I want to put a 6-way 4-pole rotary switch, and a coil tap. I am trying to go all out and I am having trouble finding schematics or diagram of any kind on the internet. This is what I am trying to do:

1. neck pickup
2. neck + middle pickup
3. middle pickup
4. middle+bridge pickup
5. bridge pickup
6. All pickups
Plus a coil tap, (I know it's not possible with one switch)

Is there anyone thats done this or knows how to do this?
4P6T is kind of a weird choice, why that? Why not just use a 5 position switch...and use a push/pull pot to turn a 3rd pickup on during another combo. Like, during the middle + bridge combo, turn on the neck pickup?

BTW, what you're referring to is a coil split. A Coil tap is using less windings on a single coil. It can only be done if the single coil was designed to have a coil tap when it was made.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jan 29, 2008,
Well I wanted to try to drill as few holes as possible in the Les Paul. So I thought I could put the rotary in the place as the 3way switch. Yes I ment coil split, That is the only hole I really wanted to drill. Like I said, I have been searching for like the last week on every site I could think of and no one has a diagram.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DO THIS???
Last edited by KeithKennedy at Jan 29, 2008,
whats the poll about?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by KeithKennedy
Well I wanted to try to drill as few holes as possible in the Les Paul. So I thought I could put the rotary in the place as the 3way switch. Yes I ment coil split, That is the only hole I really wanted to drill. Like I said, I have been searching for like the last week on every site I could think of and no one has a diagram.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO DO THIS???

Calm down..You've made this more cpmlicated than it needs to be.

Well, you don't have to drill ANY holes.

There's something called a push/pull pot. It's a switch that looks like a normal control. when you pull on it, it activates the switch.

How about this? Wire the neck and bridge as a normal Les Paul. Use one DPDT push pull pot to turn on the middle pickup. That's already a big improvement, as most 3 pickup Les pauls just keep the middle pickup on, I think. So here you get:
Neck
neck+ bridge
bridge

and you can add middle to any of those positions, creating:
neck + middle
neck+ bridge + middle
bridge + middle

and then we can add another DPDT push pull pot, if you like. This push pull pot can split one of the pickups.

I personally think that coil splitting is mostly useless. It often sounds thin, and isn't that great of a tone.

How do you feel about series/parallel wiring? Series is how a humbucker is normally wired, but parallel drops the output by about 30%, brightens up the tone, and cleans up the tone. It's single coil like, but is still hum canceling. much more useful.

We could use the remaining 3 pots as series/parallel switch of coil split for all the pickups.
That sounds way better than what I was going to do. I Have never even thought about customizing a guitar tel I found this dude that does it all the time to his guitars. He was telling me that with 3 hum's I could get some killer tone.
It sounds really freaking good. I just want more. I play everything from pearl jam to pantera and I need a guitar that can do the same.