Hey guys, I searched for a while but I couldn't find a suitable answer for this. I have an Ibanez with a ZR tremolo set up in standard E. When I want to switch over to Drop D tuning, can I just use the fine tuners on the 6th string while keeping the locking nuts on? Are there any disadvantages like the bridge going out of whack or something? I just never understood why people go out and buy D-Tuna's rather than utilizing the fine tuners to change the tuning. All Help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Line 6 Spider III 150 watt
Ibanez S520ex
Fender MIM (Mexican) HSS Stratocaster
Vox Valvetronix AD15vt amp
Digitech Death Metal Distortion

A Marshall Vintage Modern or Mesa Boogie F-30 will be my reward when I finish college
No you can't, because think about it, if the floyd is balanced, then its a combination of all strings keeping it there, so if you change one, the others will change with it, thus creating an out of tune instrument. You'll have to resetup the whole bridge basically.
yes you can drop it to D using he ZR's fine tuners. just make sure you leave enough thread on the tuners in order to to be able to detune that low. i have an Ibanez S series with ZR bridge and it works for me. when you drop the E to D, some of the other strings may go slightly sharp a quick tuning adjustment on the other strings will probably be needed.
P.S the ZR is not lik a floyd rose, the ZR is a system that ensures all strings return to pitch and therefore the bridg itself isnt actually floating like a FR. although you can remove the mechanism so that it switches to a full floating bridge.
Quote by Rvddps
No you can't, because think about it, if the floyd is balanced, then its a combination of all strings keeping it there, so if you change one, the others will change with it, thus creating an out of tune instrument. You'll have to resetup the whole bridge basically.

if it was a standard floyd I'd agree but the ZR has a system of springs to keep it tune as much as possible, it wont even go out of tune if a string breaks, so yes, you can use the fine tuners to drop it to D
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
hey, since this is a thread about the ZR, i have a question that i've been wondering for a while now.. Is it possible to remove a zr and throw in a normal floyd rose? Normally I wouldnt, but with the graphtech ghost floyd rose (with piezo pickups.. mmmhh) its very tempting to buy an s body on ebay, but I wanna make sure it would work.
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by spoonylove90

im not left handed i just have a mac btw.

Quote by NaivexLi
Yes...I named my penis Darth Vader.
Quote by bobbynogo
hey, since this is a thread about the ZR, i have a question that i've been wondering for a while now.. Is it possible to remove a zr and throw in a normal floyd rose? Normally I wouldnt, but with the graphtech ghost floyd rose (with piezo pickups.. mmmhh) its very tempting to buy an s body on ebay, but I wanna make sure it would work.

I have no idea but try posting in the Guitar Building and Customizing forum or the Gear and Accessories forum, you'll get better answers in there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by bobbynogo

No, it's not possible, the ZR tremolo was specially designed for the S series Ibanez due to the lack of thickness for a OFR or Floyd rose style tremolo.

http://lawl.net/gtr/trems then look at the ZR. . . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris